X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Isolde View Post
    <Medbay Recovery>

{Dr. Beth Hayden}

Coming through the doors, Beth made straight for the patient, holding her hand out for his chart. After accepting it from the now silent Kim, she perused it swiftly, and then checked the line feeding antibiotics at a steady rate. All they could do now was hope that antimicrobial management would do the trick, and wait for the lab results to see if they could narrow down the organism responsible for Simon's unexpected infection. "Did you ask the lab for arterial lactate levels, Emma? It might give us a better idea of prognosis, if they work on those too." The kid's breathing was shallow, and his colour was waxy. "Let's keep our fingers crossed this is a microbe that's going to respond to treatment."

It had been a long day, and now it would be a helluva lot longer, but Beth remembered her manners despite everything. "Good work, both of you."
    Originally posted by RogueRanger View Post
    {Lt Kimberly Sutton~Nurse}

Watching every little detail, monitors, physcial signs and listening to her surroundings, Kim walked around to the other side of Simon's bed as Emma went over him, checking for those minor details that having a team gives an amplified diagnosis to. She looked over her glasses again at Emma and nodded. "No we won't lose him Emma, not tonight, not anytime." As she spoke Beth came flying in as expected, the rountine so practiced between her and her staff.

She thought more about critical care at this point and made a decision based on her years of training, she turned to he CMO.

"I've left a page with Doctor Anthony ma'am. My gut feeling though, tells me his ACL is about 2.0 at the moment. Emma could you stay with Doctor Hayden for me please and I'll go to the lab and try and rouse him, if he's dead to the world as I suspect I'll do the analysis myself."
    {Dr. Emma Randall}

Just as Emma nodded toward Kim with their combined resolve evident......Beth bounded through the doorway and immediately a calm hush enveloped the room. "Phew..... Beth you are a sight for sore eyes. Yeah I thought since Kim had hinted it could be septic shock.... I thought getting his arterial lactate levels would be in order.....although.... I must admit my emergency medical experience is a bit rusty so I was feeling quite ill prepared and off guard for this." She smiled deeply at both women as she found comfort in having such a talented team present to help care for the young man.

Emma nodded toward Kim in affirmation that she would stay with Simon at Beth's side for as long as necessary. "Sure Kim....I'm not going anywhere.....who could sleep under these conditions anyway?" Looking up at the clock realizing many of them, especially Dr. Hayden, had been awake and working for hours.

"Beth you must be exhausted....."
    She sighed wearily as to empathize with her.. "as soon as he is stable I'll take the first shift with him so you can get back to sleep."
    Originally posted by jelgate
    This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

With a warm gesture of friendship and teamship, Kim held both Emman and Beth's arms and squeezed, she lingered a moment and spoke brisquely. "I'll be about fifteen minutes, I won't bother waking Doctor Anthony, he'd only be fuzzy anyway. Fifteen minutes, if I'm any longer, send Major Marks to fetch me." She winked at them both. Even under these circumstances she could make people smile if she could.

*coms from Bridge*

"Major Marks report, what is the status on Lieutenant Fraser please?"
      Last edited by RogueRanger; 08 December 2010, 05:28 PM.

Comment

{Major Kevin Marks}

Marks turned and spoke into his radio. "Colonel, Simon went into shock, but he seems to be stable now."
        Last edited by AtlantisRules!!!; 06 December 2010, 06:57 PM.
        Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
        ---
        sigpic

Comment

*radio from Bridge*

" Kevin I copy that, you can return to the bridge if you would. We are go in a few minutes"

Comment

Marks looked at the two medical officers, "Duty calls" and with that he was off to the Bridge.

(Marks to Bridge)
            Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
            ---
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by squirrely1 View Post
              {Dr. Emma Randall}

Just as Emma nodded toward Kim with their combined resolve evident......Beth bounded through the doorway and immediately a calm hush enveloped the room. "Phew..... Beth you are a sight for sore eyes. Yeah I thought since Kim had hinted it could be septic shock.... I thought getting his arterial lactate levels would be in order.....although.... I must admit my emergency medical experience is a bit rusty so I was feeling quite ill prepared and off guard for this." She smiled deeply at both women as she found comfort in having such a talented team present to help care for the young man.

Emma nodded toward Kim in affirmation that she would stay with Simon at Beth's side for as long as necessary. "Sure Kim....I'm not going anywhere.....who could sleep under these conditions anyway?" Looking up at the clock realizing many of them, especially Dr. Hayden, had been awake and working for hours.

"Beth you must be exhausted....."
              She sighed wearily as to empathize with her.. "as soon as he is stable I'll take the first shift with him so you can get back to sleep."
              {Dr. Beth Hayden}

A tired smile lit up Beth's face, and a look of gratitude flashed in her dark eyes. "That would be awesome, Emma," she murmured, and leaned over Simon, adjusting the sheet as it lay across his chest; she was projecting, she knew, but the kid had a look of her own son, and Beth had to restrain the urge to stroke his brow. Too long away from home, she thought. Reigning in her emotions, the Welsh Doctor moved away from the bed, and checked the monitors. "While I'm here, I'll just go through some of that backlog."

Emma gave her a sympathetic grin. The damn paperwork just kept piling up, and never seemed to end - they had a running joke about soon needing a request form to request a few more forms. Plus it meant she could stay close at hand until Simon settled... if he settled.
              Last edited by Isolde; 10 December 2010, 08:51 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Bent over the electron microscope and watching the amazing enhanced display, Kim was totally fascinated by the power of medicine and a little Tok'ra help as well. The booster they provided for the broad spectrum anti-biotics was stopping any infection in it's tracks and most of all, there was no chance of the virus becoming immune to it. Of course there is always a down side, Simon would be dependent on a modified Tretonin shot twice a year for the rest of his life, a small price to pay. A lab technician who had just come on watch, looked at the video display, he whistled through his teeth.

"Wow Lieutenant, if we could only spread this to the world, we could probably kill off most of our diseases in a short time."

Kim turned away from the eyepiece. She looked a little sad. "Yes if only the IOA would approve it. But how do we explain to the world it comes from an Alien?" She stood up and arched her back and tapped her comslink. "Doctor Hayden, Emma. We dodged a bullet, it was Staphylococcus aureus but the Levofloxacin with our 'friends' booster worked marvelously. His fever should start to come down in about thirty minutes or so. I'll be there in five minutes." She thanked the technician and proceeded back to Medbay, a small thought occurred to her. "You still could have sent Major Marks anyway, just to ensure my safety." She giggled softly and picked up her pace.

Comment

{Dr. Emma Randall}

Emma smiled back at Beth warmly as she worked awkwardly around trying to be of some help. "yeah I'm sorry but I am a bit rusty at all this. I mean my specialty is Psychiatry and while I had to keep up on all my medical training...I really did focus more on the Psychotropic drugs and their effects." She sighed as she felt most inadequate there amongst these bright women.

Then she giggled at Beth's joke about the piles of paperwork... "Yeah you'd think with all our modern technology they'd get more computerized.....never made any sense to me." She rolled her eyes in agreement with the doctor as she tried to make Simon comfortable by adjusting the height of his bed and pushed on his pillow a bit.

As Kim relayed her message to them about the virus she could feel a sigh of relief come over her and Beth as they both looked at one another and exchanged a warm grin. "Phew... Thank God he will be ok..." and Emma literally did that......she took a brief moment to say a thank you prayer silently to herself.

Comment

On her way back Kim grabbed a new sterile burns kit and a wash down unit. The orderlies were all busy attending to other duties and she felt that this was her repsonsibilty anyway. Pushing a trolley she came into the ICU and closed the door. I slid shut with a hiss of air.

She approached the other two women as she stopped the service trolley at the foot of Simon's bed. "New bandages and he should have a bath. As long as he sleeps we'll save him the embarrasment I know these boys always seem to aquire when we do this. It's amazing though..." She winked at them both. "...how they never seem to show that timidness when they call the shots." Kim fondly remembered her first experience of seeing a boy naked, in the back of his fathers Cadillac by the lake. Simon was very much like that first boy. Tall, fit and redheaded. "Doctor's if you'll help me take his clothes of, with any luck we can do thuis before he wakes."

Comment

{Dr. Beth Hayden}

"Poor kid," Beth murmured, and pushed the sleeves of her lab coat up. "OK, let's roll him and get some towels under him so we won't need to strip the bed off as well."

Efficiently, Beth rolled Simon onto his left side, deftly avoiding the drip, and tubes, so the other women could work fast. Stripping him was easy... Hospital gowns always tied at the back, and this kid wasn't ready for pj's yet, especially if they needed to catheterise him.
                      sigpic

Comment

First things first. Kim carefully peeled away the bandages and checked for surface infection, she had a good eye, but an even better CMO who had pointed out a lot of little procedual errors Kim had aquired at the Air Force hospital in Colorado. Thankfully the burns were clean and the modified Tretonin was speeding up the healing as well. "I think we have a winner here ladies, he'll be chasing us around soon enough." She couldn't help but look at his well formed backside, though young, he was well formed and appealing in her eyes. "enough of that." She reprimanded herself. She had the bunrs salve gel on hand but wondered if they should still use it, excess moisture could cause further problems with scarring down the line. Her head lifted to Beth. "Doctor what do you think, leave it dry after we wash him or not?"

Spoiler:

Comment

{Dr. Emma Randall}

Emma always felt a bit squeamish at the thoughts of deep burns...this is why she decided years ago to steer into the psychiatry end of the business. She didn't know if she had the stomach for medicine...but she swallowed hard and had to hide the fact she felt very ill at the moment. She felt her face turning pale but she shook her head as she swiped a few stray hairs from her forehead with the back of her wrist....careful not to spoil the surface of her latex gloves. She assisted with moving and turning the deeply injured man....looking at him and feeling a sense of sorrow knowing his slow road to recovery would be a long one. She muttered out.... "What are we going to do for his pain levels... I think he needs an increase in his morphine dose...he's gonna be in a considerable amount of pain from this "cleaning" when he wakes up and I think we should stave that off." Emma advised as she gave each woman an inquiring look.

Comment

Originally posted by RogueRanger View Post

First things first. Kim carefully peeled away the bandages and checked for surface infection, she had a good eye, but an even better CMO who had pointed out a lot of little procedual errors Kim had aquired at the Air Force hospital in Colorado. Thankfully the burns were clean and the modified Tretonin was speeding up the healing as well. "I think we have a winner here ladies, he'll be chasing us around soon enough." She couldn't help but look at his well formed backside, though young, he was well formed and appealing in her eyes. "enough of that." She reprimanded herself. She had the bunrs salve gel on hand but wondered if they should still use it, excess moisture could cause further problems with scarring down the line. Her head lifted to Beth. "Doctor what do you think, leave it dry after we wash him or not?"
                            {Dr. Beth Hayden}

Tilting her head, Beth eyed the burns, they were not seeping and looked dry. "Antibiotic salve -" she decided, and applied a little pressure to the surrounding area, noting the change of colour in Simon's skin - "twice a day. I'll write up the prescription." She peered closer at them. "I swear this kid has the luck of old nick, because if these had been any bigger he'd have needed a graft." Coming round the bed, Beth picked up Simon's chart and flicked to the 'scripts. "He'd better get out of my sickbay soon, because the admin is killing me."

She grinned at the other two women. "Yeah, I know you two think he's fit as a butcher's dog, but we'll put all those thoughts out of our heads for now." Raising her brows, she looked from one to the other. "I know I can rely on you both to be strictly professional, eh?"

Spoiler:
                            sigpic

Comment

Knowing how burns can be more traumatic to the patient further down the road, Kim was glad Emma was with them now, she nodded to Beth and made a mental note of the script and thought long on the morhpine dose. "Doctor?" She looked squarely at Beth now. "He's already had fifty ml this morning, anymore in his state and he'll go into a coma I think. Emma we might have to wait until he is conscious first and then Doctor Hayden can make and assesment on his pain level then. And yes ma'am.." again inclining her head toward Beth.."you know I'm always at my professional best with a young hunk such as..." She trailed off and let the last go unspoken with a sly grin.

Comment

Beth chuckled, and then pretended to cough. Narrowing her eyes at Kim, she gave her the 'look' - one which usually saw brave men find out the colour of adrenalin was brown - and was gratified it had no visible effect on the young woman at all. "Oh, I'm absolutely sure, I can be absolutely certain about utter professionalism. In sickbay." She checked the morphine dose, and nodded at Kim's assessment. "Yes, I think it would be better to wait until he regains consciousness - or at least a level of it. We don't want him going into respiratory distress, do we?"
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X