The Nitpickers Guide to the Syfy "Sanctuary Field Guide"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Nitpickers Guide to the Syfy "Sanctuary Field Guide"

As some of you are no doubt aware, Syfy have added a field guide to their Sanctuary website. I thank them for this as it is a very good idea and a lot of work has gone into it, however (you just knew there was a BUT coming didn't you ) it is not entirely accurate.

So I thought we could go through it and pick out places where it is wrong or misleading. (Yeah I'm bored and we have an extra 17 days to wait until Season 3 airs *pouts*). Maybe people could add suggestions for new content too.

OK have at it!
    -

Introduction
    Doesn't reflect the global network of Sanctuary. Ostensibly "The" Sanctuary should refer to the main Sanctuary located in Old City run by Helen Magnus, who is also head of the Sanctuary Network.

The Golden Age of Abnormals
    First Century BC to Second Century AD

This is a very misleading timeline. In "The Five" Helen refers to both caesars and pharaohs, so the timeline should reflect that. Then in "Revelations Part II" Tesla says "Ah! Magnificent, isn't it? All that remains of my ancestors, their work. Ten thousand years of knowledge and power hidden from the world."

=============
    I'll kick it off with a couple that I have noticed so far in the limited read I've given it.
    • Helen is NOT immortal, she is long lived there is a difference
    • The Old City Sanctuary location has been deliberately left vague as commented on several times by creator Damian Kindler. The closest he has gotten to giving it a location is by saying vaguely it's in the Pacific Northwest. This does not necessarily mean it is in USA as stated in the The Rise of the Sanctuary section of the Field Guide.
    Last edited by RealmOfX; 15 September 2010, 03:31 AM.
    -

Comment

They are very vague/wrong with history too. Since when are the pharoahs in 100 BC? Well, they might have been, but they were also 3000BC...
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.
      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Do they mention the Pharoahs? I got the impression they started with the Romans?

- Ashley wasnt a teenager;
        - Henry wasnt bitten by a wereworlf, he was born one;
        - Berth isnt a crab like creature, its a spider;

Comment

Originally posted by kes View Post
          Do they mention the Pharoahs? I got the impression they started with the Romans?

- Ashley wasnt a teenager;
          - Henry wasnt bitten by a wereworlf, he was born one;
          - Berth isnt a crab like creature, its a spider;
          Yes pharaohs were mentioned, Helen says in "The Five" -
          HELEN:
          Ancient vampires were the Caesars, the pharaohs of civilization. Humans were enslaved, they rose up with good reason. If the world knew the truth-

So it looks like they only paid attention to the caesars part and not the pharaohs and so have incredibly misrepresented the time span implied.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
            Yes pharaohs were mentioned, Helen says in "The Five" -
            HELEN:
            Ancient vampires were the Caesars, the pharaohs of civilization. Humans were enslaved, they rose up with good reason. If the world knew the truth-

So it looks like they only paid attention to the caesars part and not the pharaohs and so have incredibly misrepresented the time span implied.
            Yes. I ment (sp) in the guide not the series.

-Oh I think they also mention that its thanks to Gregory Magnus that Helen gets her hands on some pure vampire blood, but in the show they havent mention how she gets it.

Comment

well, TECHNICALLY, thanks to gregory she got her hands on some in THe Five...but there has been no mention how she got it originally. IIRC, it was just 'helen got a hold of some pure vampire blood', and no explanation of when or how
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                well, TECHNICALLY, thanks to gregory she got her hands on some in THe Five...
                O.o

Hmm?I dont understand that bit?

Comment

No kidding. As I recall wasen't Ashley like 24 years. And that's right Henry was born a werewolf not bitten.

Me thinks the Syfy people who created this Field Guide. Should have checked the facts before they printed it. Though I agree ALOT of work did go into it.
                  MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
                  MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
                  POLARIS TORONTO 2007
                  CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
                  GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
                  VCON VANCOUVER 2010
                  FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieS View Post
                    No kidding. As I recall wasen't Ashley like 24 years. And that's right Henry was born a werewolf not bitten.

Me thinks the Syfy people who created this Field Guide. Should have checked the facts before they printed it. Though I agree ALOT of work did go into it.
                    Yeah it is a lot of work to collect and present that information but also an important part of the process is the review, correction and updating of information and I hope Syfy does that as well.

I copied and pasted the Guide into a Word document so I could read it easily with my text reader and there is about 26 pages of information that is mostly correct, just a few bits and pieces that needs more work.
                    -

Comment

They repeat themselfs a bit.
                      I like that they have a People folder and description of abnormals inside. And repeat in the Abnormals folder lol

Comment

They repeat themselfs a bit.
                        I like that they have a People folder and description of abnormals inside. And repeat in the Abnormals folder lol
                        Yeah I LOL'd at that, it was like they quite couldn't decide how to categorise things.
                        -

Comment

O.o

Hmm?I dont understand that bit?
                          what i mean is, while we don't know how helen originally got her hands on it, in The Five, she was able to reclaim the sample thanks to Gregory, who locked it away in the ancient vampire city, preserving it until they all needed it. Gregory set up the 'traps' in The Five, to guarantee that the only way they could get the blood was if all five of them worked together

sigpic

Comment

I think Sky means Revelations Pt 1 & Pt 2.
                            sigpic
                            Mourning Sanctuary.
                            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

ah, you're right. my bad. sorry

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X