No announcement yet.

Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" to become film AND television series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what about James Marsters as Roland? just a thought, dont kill me. Im in the middle of the first volume, quite like it but still dont understand enough -.- never liked Stephen King horror/thriller books but it seems the dark tower is smth different I guess. I like the concept of combining it with a tv show and movie so I hope they cover many aspects of the novels. Hope that Bear McCreary does the TV Score for the show..
    sigpic

Comment

It would be interesting to see how audiences would react to a character like Roland, a man who is so single minded in his quest to find the Tower that he

Spoiler:
      allowed Jake to plunge to his death in the Gunslinger
      sigpic

Comment

Some new stuff....

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/wood...SyoAhcuPfV0a0H

Ron Howard's adaptation of Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" has set off a casting frenzy in Hollywood. Agents are tripping over themselves to land their clients coveted roles in what promises to be a blockbuster film and television franchise. Leading the pack for the principal character, Roland Deschain, is Javier Bardem, with Viggo Mortensen a close second, sources tell us.
        I'd be pretty satisfied with Mortensen myself. Bardem is also an interesting choice, but I think he'd have to slim down a bit.

Also from the same article:
        Howard and screenwriter Akiva Goldsman have a deal with Universal that will translate into a TV show and three movies, all using the same cast. Brian Grazer will produce with Goldsman and King. According to reports, they plan to start with an epic movie, then continue the story with the TV series, followed by a second film, and then a second TV season showing gunslinger Deschain as a young man. Then, the third movie will end the saga with Deschain as an older man.

Intriguing way to do a project!
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I sure hope Viggo Mortensen gets the part!

Comment

I almost wonder though if it might be better (and/or more cost-effective) to cast an unknown as Roland, and give smaller parts to better-known actors. I think it would be a genius bit of casting to get Ian McShane as Cort, for example.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Mixing movies and TV in that arrangement seems really strange, to start the show see this feature film... Watch 3 seasons on tv, see another movie followed by more tv and another movie

Now starting with a TV miniseries/movie would work.
              sigpic

Comment

I vote Terry O'Quinn.

Comment

Some News on who may play Roland:
                  http://blastr.com/2011/01/javier-bardem-offered-the.php
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Oh so they DID offer him the lead eh? Not a bad choice at all, he'll certainly bring some gravitas to the role. And Roland's rather stoic style will lend well to man-of-few-words look.

I just hope that an Oscar winner like Bardem is willing to do the connected TV series as well, or else it's going to be a bit odd.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      Oh so they DID offer him the lead eh? Not a bad choice at all, he'll certainly bring some gravitas to the role. And Roland's rather stoic style will lend well to man-of-few-words look.

I just hope that an Oscar winner like Bardem is willing to do the connected TV series as well, or else it's going to be a bit odd.
                      Perhaps alot of the TV series will be stuff like in "wizard and glass" where they focus more on "young Roland" and his first Ka-Tet?
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

http://www.deadline.com/2011/04/javi...rk-tower-deal/

Just about confirmed....

Comment

Is he really the right choice? maybe he is a good actor.. could you recommend movies with him, never watched really a Javier Bardem movie...
                          sigpic

Comment

The movie it self didn't really wow me, but Bardem was phenomenal and totally deserving of his Oscar in No Country for Old Men.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                              The movie it self didn't really wow me, but Bardem was phenomenal and totally deserving of his Oscar in No Country for Old Men.
                              Well, I think the Coen Brothers are overrated, me for one did not like most of their movies maybe I do not understand them but I think there are much better film makers then the Coen Brothers...
                              No Country For Old Men was made by the Coen brother..?
                              sigpic

Comment

Yeah it's one of theirs. And like I said the movie didn't really blow me away, so I'm not sure what all the fuss was about when it was Oscar season. But Bardem actually was pretty phenomenal in it.

As for the Coen brothers in general, I'm pretty ambivalent. I like some of their movies, dislike others. Not especially brilliant filmmakers, but certainly not Michael Bay-calibre either.

Comment

Working...
                                X