X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" to become film AND television series

c/o Blastr....

King's Dark Tower being turned into massive TV/film series

This is one of those ideas that's either going to be crazy successful or an epic failure. NBC Universal just made a deal to turn Stephen King's The Dark Tower saga into three films and a TV series, a lot of which will be written by Akiva Goldsman and directed by Ron Howard.

The news just broke on Deadline:
    Universal Pictures and NBC Universal Television Entertainment have closed a deal to turn Stephen King's mammoth novel series The Dark Tower into a feature film trilogy and a network TV series, both of which will be creatively steered by the Oscar-winning team behind A Beautiful Mind and The Da Vinci Code.
    Ron Howard has committed to direct the initial feature film, as well as the first season of the TV series that will follow in close proximity. Akiva Goldsman will write the film, and the first season of the TV series. Howard's Imagine Entertainment partner Brian Grazer will produce, with Goldsman and the author.
    More at link.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

This could be interesting
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

Comment

Hope this turns better then the Stephen King novel Haven was based on
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Hope this turns better then the Stephen King novel Haven was based on

I've always wanted to see The Dark Tower committed to film, but I worry.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I still haven't read the Dark Tower books dangit! But yeah how massive this sounds(Movie and TV series) is pretty interesting.

Comment

I've read the first four, but haven't gotten around to five through seven yet.... The first three were awesome, the fourth not so much.

Comment

I've read all but the last one and this worries me. On one hand I'd love to see certain parts of it appear in a movie/series, but on the other I'm not seeing King's name attached to the writing credits nearly as prominently as I'd like.

Comment

I've read the entire series (twice actually, to see if I could understand parts of the last one better by catching things throughout the first 6 more)...and while I am happy to see this coming to fruition, am actually wondering how closely they would follow the storyline.

The first 3 were definitely my favorites, 4-5-6-7 all had good parts to them but I felt they were lacking at times. I'm not going to say anything about 7 in any kind of detail up here since I see people haven't read it yet...but if you want my opinion, jump below the lovely little spoiler tags to find my thoughts on it.

Spoiler:
                When I finished The Dark Tower, it is one of the only times I have wanted to find a writer and smack him up for the ending. I couldn't believe I had just spent all of that time reading a series that just started itself all over again. I didn't get it. I mean, I understood that King was trying to say this was always supposed to be Roland's purpose or what not, but I felt so cheated. It is one of the reasons I re-read the series, hoping to spot signs that would give away what was going to happen, etc.
                sigpic

Comment

I really didn't like the particular real world twist (you'll know what I'm talking about if your read the later books in the series) King had the story make while starting to tie it up (I do like the very ending itself), he said he really couldn't have written it any other way but I'm wondering if he would have done it had he not had his near death experience with that car accident... (which he fortunatly survived, but he was mistakenly reported as deceased at first and I remember thinking oh no!! and then oh no!!!!!!!! he's not going to be able to finish this great series!!!!)
                  I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

I have not read the books yet, but they do sound interesting.
                    I am more interested in how they will handle doing the TV show an the Movie at the same time an handle its world wide distribution deals, Films have generally got into the habit of closely releasing in all terrectory at the same time whiles TV shows in some countries can fall years behind there America release dates.
                    I also interested in the level of cross over there will be, will for instant someone get the full story just following the film or the TV show or will they have to see both to get the full experience an if you need to see both will they aim to get it shown on mainstream free to air channels an sacriface profit margins to do it, as that is the only to guranteed every can experience the entire crossmedia event. An will they sell airing rights to the film to the same company broadcasting in each country first.
                    Last edited by knowles2; 10 September 2010, 12:34 PM.

Comment

I'm curious as to who they will get to play Roland.
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Dude, my thread's been hijacked

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                        I'm curious as to who they will get to play Roland.
                        Ah yes, the big question!

Who do we think would make a good Roland? If it were 20 years ago, I would've said Clint Eastwood. These days I'm really not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          Dude, my thread's been hijacked

Ah yes, the big question!

Who do we think would make a good Roland? If it were 20 years ago, I would've said Clint Eastwood. These days I'm really not sure.
                          If you look around youtube there are quite a few fantrailers featuring Clint as Roland. There is a shortlist over at I09 (I think thats where it was...), but none of the names on it really pop (for me) Considering how they want to do the series (feature, TV series, feature, series, feature) your looking at one hell of a commitment from everyone involved in the project. Perhaps they would be well served to get a "unknown" to play the mains and use "stars" for the villains? (I wouldn't mind seeing Jamie Sherridan reprise his role as Flagg)
                          sigpic
                          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Most if not all of the main characters will have to be played by unknowns at least in the film industry an willing to sign an keep to long term contracts, one figure I heard I think it was from the Lost creators who said it would be a 7 to 10 years commitment, I do not see a star actor giving that kind of commitment or would be willing to keep wages low enough for TV.

Comment

Ron Howard? Hmmm, this could be good.
                              Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Working...
                              X