Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ron Howard speaks up about recent Dark Tower madness

Ron Howard explains what's up with all those Dark Tower delays

What's going on with The Dark Tower? There are problems with the script, the budget is out of whack, and the production has been delayed. Director Ron Howard has finally opened up about the film's recent troubles—including Javier Bardem's (sort-of) casting.

In a recent interview, Howard revealed that yes, production on The Dark Tower has been pushed back, but they've got a new start date! Instead of fall 2011, they're looking to get things going early next spring.

Howard said, "We had to pull back to our September start date due to budget delays and ongoing story development and logistical issues, but Dark Tower is moving forward." That's great from a production standpoint, but what about the cast?

For months, Javier Bardem has been rumored, then confirmed, then rumored again to play The Dark Tower's Roland. So, is he or isn't he? According to Howard, he is—kind of. "I can't really say who'll be in it yet, but Javier Bardem has shown a great deal of interest." Javier, sign on the dotted line already so we can get this party started!

If you're wondering about the television aspect of this saga, Howard revealed that the actors in the film and TV show will definitely be the same. He also said there's a method behind his madness. There's a reason he's jumping from the movie theater to television screens.

"There are elements of The Dark Tower saga that are more personal and can be best dealt with on television," Howard continued. "TV allows you to roll out details of the characters in a more methodical way."
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Ran across this story declaring this now dead.

'The Dark Tower' Crumbles as Universal Officially Cancels Ron Howard Project

The Dark Tower is dead...and no one is surprised.

Universal has officially closed the book on its ambitious three-movie and TV series adaptation of Stephen King’s fantasy Western from Imagine Entertainment, writer Akiva Goldsman and director Ron Howard.

But reports of its collapse have circulated for months as the studio and film team grappled with budgetary issues and a way to scale down the project. As THR previously reported, a fall start date was shelved, cast and crew were put on leave, and the studio hoped to possibly shoot it early next year.

Imagine and Howard steadfastly denied that the project was officially dead but last week word leaked that Howard was prepping another movie, the Formula 1 racing pic Rush, to which Chris Hemsworth was attached to star.

Today was D-Day for Dark Tower because the studio had a July 15 deadline to commit to the movies or not. All the creatives have been told that the studio couldn't make the financials work.

This marks the second high-profile attempt at a Dark Tower adaptation to hit a wall. The first involved JJ Abrams and his Bad Robot banner.
      IMO always implied.

Comment

I read that they could still be shopping this around and maybe attracting another major studio, but the current track record of this production isn't encouraging.
        sigpic

Comment

The Dark Tower coming to HBO?

If you’ve been following along, then you know there has been no shortage of drama concerning Ron Howard’s planned adaptation of Stephen King’s genre-bending series, The Dark Tower. First, the epic project — which is meant to encompass a total of three movies and two interlocking television seasons — was unceremoniously dumped by Universal over the summer due to its unwieldy nature and hefty price tag. Plenty of people assumed that like many ambitious book-to-film adaptations that came before it, the project would never see the light of day. Now, producer Brian Grazer reports that he and Howard have managed to shave off $45 to 50 million from the budget of the first film, and that HBO has signed-on to air the TV portion of their massive undertaking — presumably with Javier Bardem still set to star as gunslinger Roland Deschain.

Given the success that the network has had with Game of Thrones, The Dark Tower landing at HBO isn’t all that surprising, but we are curious as to whether it will help secure a studio for the film releases. We’re also wondering if this will effect how the project eventually rolls out. Perhaps starting things off on the small-screen to help build a larger, mainstream audience wouldn’t be such a bad idea — especially if it was done intentionally!
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

The Dark Tower films may be back in business.

Comment

Bugger

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...en-king-364163
              sigpic
              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Yeah, but I read that their still trying to sell it, but I think they should shorten the project into a tv show and then movies or the other way around but not both at the same time, in these current days, it's probably to huge for everyone ! I still have to read the series, has King finished the books ? I saw that there are graphic novels as well... Are they tied to the books ?
                sigpic

Comment

The series is finished yes.
                  The Graphic novels, IIRC are based around Roland in his younger days and his original Ka-Tet (group, basicly)
                  sigpic

Comment

My understanding is that the first few comic arcs were set prior to the series, but the more recent ones have been adaptations of the story in the novels (namely, the first, so far).

Comment

Here you go:
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower_(comics)
                      sigpic

Comment

Here is the old fan trailer I was talking aout awhile ago:

sigpic

Comment

Thanks
                          sigpic

Comment

*Scrapes off the layer of dust*

Thoughts?
                            sigpic

Comment

No one?
                              sigpic

Comment

It looks like they're drawing from The Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three, and the New York stuff from Wolves of the Calla.

I didn't hate the trailer. But it's certainly not what I was expecting.

Comment

Working...
                                X