Trinium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trinium

This is mostly out of interest and curiosity, but it could also help a fic I'm writing...anybody got any ideas or speculation on the nature of Trinium?

Are there any real but 'laboratory quantity only' materials, hypothetical materials or exotic forms of matter that resemble Trinium's described properties (basically, very light, very strong, metallic)?

I'm no chemist (in fact I was awful at chemistry and failed it at school), but since it's becoming an important factor in a fanfic of mine, I'd like to have some ideas that at least sound plausible.

About the only idea I've had is based on a short passage in a book I read a while back, that hinted that "metastable metallic hydrogen" could conceivably be a very light, very strong (and probably very flammable...) material, but I can't find anything else that suggests the same properties.

So, ideas?
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

kind of like aluminum i guess

Comment

I bet your über thin aluminum iris would fail faster than you can say 'stargate'.

Comment

or Titanium

Comment

Or a alloy composed of multiple stuff , i remember of a composed metal that was stronger then diamond but lighter then steal
          sigpic
          Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
          StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
          GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Originally posted by Osiristi View Post
            I bet your über thin aluminum iris would fail faster than you can say 'stargate'.
            he was asking if there was something similar - light, strong, metallic....which is what aluminum is. and it wouldnt matter if the iris was made of super thin aluminum, if it was close enough to the event horizon it would stop anything. you could have an iris made of pudding if you so wanted.

Comment

Bear in mind Trinium is described as being '100 times lighter and stronger than steel'. I'm guessing it's exact properties will have been somewhat retconned and scaled-back since Carter made that statement in "Spirits" to make it a little more feasible (not least because of the huge variety of properties in different steels), but it's clearly depicted as being incredibly tough and quite lightweight. I can't see that there's anything in common use today that fits the bill.
              And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
              sigpic
              Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                Bear in mind Trinium is described as being '100 times lighter and stronger than steel'. I'm guessing it's exact properties will have been somewhat retconned and scaled-back since Carter made that statement in "Spirits" to make it a little more feasible (not least because of the huge variety of properties in different steels), but it's clearly depicted as being incredibly tough and quite lightweight. I can't see that there's anything in common use today that fits the bill.
                i can remember of a carbon and metal and i don't know alloy that was as strong as diamond so there is something in today use as good as that
                sigpic
                Stargate Mods List

Comment

I am a Chemist (well, studying it at least), and as far as I know the only elements that can only be made in the laboratory are unstable and only last for a few minutes at the most. There's a hypothetical group of superheavy elements in what's called the Island of Stability which haven't been made yet but are suspected to be stable. I think Naquada would be included in this group but I don't whether Trinium is an element or an alloy
                  Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
                    I am a Chemist (well, studying it at least), and as far as I know the only elements that can only be made in the laboratory are unstable and only last for a few minutes at the most. There's a hypothetical group of superheavy elements in what's called the Island of Stability which haven't been made yet but are suspected to be stable. I think Naquada would be included in this group but I don't whether Trinium is an element or an alloy
                    Good point - to be honest I hadn't considered that trinium could be a compound, I had immediately assumed it was an element, largely because of the '-ium' suffix.

In "Spirits" a trinium ore is mentioned, and raw trinium is said to have impurities that make it brittle and unusable, while we hear of trinium-titanium and other trinium alloys, so it does sound like it's an element, but I suppose it could also be a mineral.

Since there aren't any gaps in the Periodic Table in which to shoehorn in new elements, I'm guessing trinium has to be a compound, a new form of an existing element (am I right in saying they're called allotropes?) or it has to be a transuranic element.
                    sigpic

Comment

Did you ever hear of Titanium carbide or tungsten carbide or allow 1090 there is a chance that Trinium is a allow
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Mods List

Comment

There's a difference between alloy and compound. A compound happens because of the opposite attraction, ionic and covalent bonds, blah blah blah. An alloy is a solution, a metallic matrix. Alloys rarely happen naturally. I believe trinium is an element, because they mentioned "purifying" the trinium ore.
                        If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                        Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                        If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                        Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                          Good point - to be honest I hadn't considered that trinium could be a compound, I had immediately assumed it was an element, largely because of the '-ium' suffix.

In "Spirits" a trinium ore is mentioned, and raw trinium is said to have impurities that make it brittle and unusable, while we hear of trinium-titanium and other trinium alloys, so it does sound like it's an element, but I suppose it could also be a mineral.

Since there aren't any gaps in the Periodic Table in which to shoehorn in new elements, I'm guessing trinium has to be a compound, a new form of an existing element (am I right in saying they're called allotropes?) or it has to be a transuranic element.
                          If it is an element the atomic number could so high that the gap in the periodic table isn't seen, element 114, which hasn't been made yet, is hypothetically stable and may have metallic properties
                          Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

An allotope might be possibility, just like carbon comes in flavors of graphite, diamond and fullerines, and naqudah comes in solid and liquid varieties.

Through my chem isn't top of the line.

Comment

I am very bad a chemistry but i still think that it might be a alloy
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Mods List

Comment

Working...
                              X