Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Family The Keys Family History Back To The Year 1066 AD.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Family The Keys Family History Back To The Year 1066 AD.

Keys Family Crest and Coat of Arms

I Am Going To Tell My Family's Story & History With My Brand New Friends on "GateWorld" Right Here.

By: Brandon Michael Keys

Year 1066

"The History of my Family The KEYS Family" "Back To The Year 1066"

Keys Family Motto
    "In Domino Confido" "I Trust In The Lord"

]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2479/3683247945_65ab0daf8d_b.jpg

Keys is a name whose history on English soil Dates back to the wave of migration that fallowed the Norman Conquest of England of 1066. The Keys family lived my family lived near a dock, and may have been employed there having derived from the Old French world kay, which became kaye, keye, and keay in Old English. These were all name undoubtedly lived near some docks, and could easily have been workers there. There is also the possibility that the name derived from the Latin personal name Caius, a name that dates from the Roman occupation of Britain. There is a record of a Britus filius Kay in 1199, in Northants; filius means "son of." There is a third possibility; in the north of England ka was aword for jackdaw (derived from the Old Scandinavian), and was often applied as a nickname; some nicknames became surnames and this found in England are of the local type. This makes this name a polygenetic name, which means that those arose spontaneously at different times and places and meant different things. Documents such as the Doomsday Book have survived 1000 years, providing us with excellent material with which to trace the history of a surname. Extensive study of these ancient records reveal this surname, Keys, to be of Anglo Saxon origin. The first record of the Keys surname was found in Yorkshire where they were seated from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.

During research it was noted that the Keys surname was spelled in different ways including Keyes, Key, "Keys," Keye, Keyse, and these variations would occur even in references to the same person. In order to explain this phenomenon of my family name Keys we must look back to some of the earliest documents written in English. In the 14th century Geoffrey Chaucer, auther of Canterbery tales, would spell "told" as "ytold" and "tolde" became at this time spelling rules did not truly exist.

The history of the Anglo-Saxons gives us insight into the early origins of the people my family bearing the Keys surname. The Saxons were originally from Germany and began to settle in southwestern England in about the 400 A.D. The Angles, another Teutonic tribe, occupied the east coast, north of the Saxons. The Angle and Saxon cultures became intertwined as time passed.

After centuries of dominance the Anglo-Saxons lost power after a number of invasions. In 1066 Duke William of Normandy claimed the throne of England and brought an army to enforce his claim. Norman success was confirmed at the Battle of Hastings. However, despite this change of leadership, the culture of England as a whole was an Anglo-Saxon culture.

During this peroid the Keys family my family was found in Yorkshire where they were recorded as a family of great antiquity and were lords of the manor of Oakenshaw and estates in that shire. Within the next century they branched to Oldstede and to Thornbury in Gloucestershire, and into Kent. They my family flourished on their estates for several centuries. Their my present family seats are at Burnt Wood and Fulford Hall. Distinguished members of the family my family include Keyes of Yorkshire.

The medieval period was an era of change and uncertainty in England; conflicts occured often, but tended to be localized to one region. Later, the succession of the Stuarts witnessed the begining of political problems which affected people on a much wider scale. Conflicts between the king and the parliament, and between the Catholics and the Protestants, along with plague and the great fire of London, made the 17th century a turbulent time.

Families settled in Ireland for a variety of reasons. Some went voluntarily, while others were exiles. In Ireland they settled in the county Donegal.

The problems at home forced many families to consider begining a new life in the Americas. Yet the New World presented difficulties never faced before. Unfamiliar soils, climate, and deseases meant that colonists had to adapt or parish. Several of the early English attempts at colonizing North America net with disaster.

Migrants and my family bearing the Keys surname, or a variant spelling of this name, included John Key, settled in the Barbados in 1634; Adam Key settled in Virginia in 1639; Peter Key settled in Virginia in 1653; Thomas and Sarah Key settled in Virginia in 1649; William Key settled with his wife and servants in the Barbados in 1680; Thomas and Daniel Keyes settled in Virginia in 1638.

Canada came into being during this period of empire building. The first European colonists to come to Canada were of French origin. However. in 1763 Canada was ceded to the British. Soon after this, the first large group of European colonists to come to Canada acquired Rupert's Land, and this, along with other contributing factors, marked the beginning of westward expansion like the wild west.

Individuals like my family relitives bearing this surname my name Keys, have continued to distinguish themselves in recent times. Among them: Alexander Keys, Australian Grazier; David Keys, Physicist; William Keys, Trade Unionist; Professor Ivor Keys, Music; General Bert Key; Sir Charles Key; General Clement Key; Edward Key, Consul General; Rev.John Key.

Hey fellow members and users I just wanted to say to all of you: What is your favorite myths and legends of all time and what is your favorite century in time where when and why???

Mine is Medieval England I love both King Richard the Lion Heart to King Author of the round table my own family dates back to the year 1066 A,D, and was said to have been members of the knights templers and the round table the "Keys Family" my full name is "Brandon Michael Keys".

My family's motto is "In Domino Confido" translated as "I Trust In The Lord" I also had found out that my family's name "Keys" also origintes from the latin personal name of "Caius" it is said that my family once owned 8 estates and were lords over 8 of those cities back in the 1000's and 1100's A,D,.

The bottem name under the excalibur sword is of my family look at the most bottem name that is being pointed by the tip of the excalibur sword its "Sir Key"

The Ancestor of my family the "Keys" Family"

The Knights of the Round Table

Sir Kay | King Arthur & The Knights of the Round Table

King Arthur Sir Galahad
    Sir Lancelot >Sir Kay<------------ My Ancestor
    Sir Gawain Sir Bors de Ganis
    Sir Geraint Sir Lamorak
    Sir Gareth Sir Tristan
    Sir Gaheris Sir Percivale
    Sir Bedivere.

Sir Kay

Sir Kay was the son of Ector (Ectorious) and the foster brother of King Arthur. History records Kay (Cai in Welsh) as being a very tall man, as shown by his epithet, the Tall. He appears in the Mabinogion tale of "Culhwch and Olwen" as the foremost warrior at the Court of the King Arthur, and apparently had mystical powers and was called one of the "Three Enchanter Knights of Britain" for:

"nine nights and nine days his breath lasted under water, nine nights and nine days would he be without sleep. A wound from Cai's sword no physician might heal. When it pleased him, he would be as tall as the tallest tree in the forest. When the rain was heaviest, whatever he held in his hand would be dry for a handbreadth before and behind, because of the greatness of his heat, and, when his companions were coldest, he would be as fuel for them to light a fire".

Sir Kay at times had a volatile and cruel nature, but he was Arthur's senechal and one of his most faithful companions. Kay married Andrivete, daughter of King Cador of Northumberland, and he is credited with sons called Garanwyn and Gronosis and a daughter called Kelemon. Some sources say that Kay was a Saxon, but was unlike the heathen Saxons because he was a Christian.

There are different accounts of his death: throughout Welsh literature it is claimed that he was killed by Gwyddawg who was, in turn, killed by Arthur; but he is also said to have been killed by the Romans or in the war against Mordred.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 28 August 2010, 08:20 AM. Reason: Reported Hotlinks removed
    Moros/Merlin
    "My Own Digital Artwork"
    sigpic
    "My Own Digital Artwork"
    "Atlantis"

Sir Kay
    Arthurian Literary Character

EBK: Arthurian Literature: Sir Kay

Sir Kay was King Arthur's foster-brother. With Sir Bedivere, he killed the Giant of St. Michael's Mount. Other adventures included killing Wrnach the Giant, rescuing Mabon and stealing the beard of Dillus the Bearded. Arthur made up an insulting song about the last named and the two fell out over it. Kay did well in the War against Imperial Rome, but was killed by King Sertorius of Libya at the Battle of Soissons; or possibly by Arthur's man, Gwyddawg, who may have joined Mordred's rebellion. He was buried at Caen or Chinon.

Kay rarely comes across in a good light. He cajoled other knights, abused women, talked his way into adventures at which he usually failed, and spitefully sent inexperienced knights out on dangerous quests only to see them return in a hail of glory. He once persuaded his foster-brother to let me rescue Guinevere from King Meleagant and ended up imprisoned himself.

Sir Kay's early appearances in the Mabinogion tale of "Culhwch and Olwen" and other early Welsh sources, identify him as an historical Lord of Caer Goch in Pembrokeshire, whose family originated in Ireland.

Sir Kay
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Arthurian legend, Sir Kay (Welsh: Cai, Kai, or Kei, or Cei; Latin: Caius or Gaius; French: Keu; French Romance: Queux; Old French: Kès or Kex) is Sir Ector's son and King Arthur's foster brother and later seneschal, as well as one of the first Knights of the Round Table. In later literature he is known for his acid tongue and bullying, boorish behavior, but in earlier accounts he was one of Arthur's premier warriors. Along with Bedivere, with whom he is frequently associated, Kay is one of the earliest characters associated with Arthur.

Sir Kay breaketh his sword at ye Tournament, by Howard Pyle

A Medieval Map of England

I have some speculation to the fact that Britus filius Kay in 1199 is none other then the Sir Kay of the Knights of the. Round Table in King Arther's Court back when the king was trying to fight off Roman occupation of Celtic England during the fall of the last days of the Roman Empire.

The Other Half To My Keys Family Tree Of The Others Throughout The Keys Family Geneological Family Line.

http://www.kenmore.org/genealogy/how..._genealogy.gif

Here I had found a long lost forgotten Keys Family branch here is another Keys Family and they own a Keys Family Cafe in the Twin Cities area of the United States I am wondering if I should get intouch with them. They own a bakery and have had a succesfull besiness cince 1973 the Keys Family they created; Keys Café & Bakery in the Twin Cities which I belive it is in the State of Minnesota.

The Keys Cafes have expanded to seven Twin Cities locations

http://www.keyscafe.com/images/Keys_...sunglasses.jpg

Here is some another branches of the Keys Family Tree that I had found the Keys Family is allover the United States and Great Britian.

A bunch of Keys, family and friends and on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/184/4...e5198f.jpg?v=0

US Army Deserter's Quest For Asylum Continues (Stupid deserter alert)

http://thetyee.ca/Books/2007/03/06/keys_family.png

The Keys are living in a van because of Joshua Key's opposition to the U.S.-led war in Iraq. While many opponents of the Iraq war base their opposition on media reports, Key's opinion is based on what he witnessed when he fought for eight months in Iraq's Sunni Triangle.

Key never thought he'd end up in Iraq in the first place. When he first enlisted, he signed up to be a bridge builder in a non-deployable unit. Despite this, the army trained him in explosives and landmines, and sent him to Iraq in April of 2003.

Key describes himself as a patriotic citizen who grew up learning "all-American values." Raised by his grandparents in a small town in Oklahoma, Key became a welder and was earning $7.25 an hour before he joined the army. With a rapidly growing family, he desperately needed a better job to make ends meet. After a visit to the local military recruiting office and then a score of 50 percent on an aptitude test, Key was told he could pick between three different jobs.

"I decided on a bridge builder in a non-deployable unit," he explains with a slight southern drawl. "This was my incentive to join the Army. I wanted to be close to my family. Other guys were offered money incentives."

During basic training in May 2002, Key learned that his legally binding contract could be changed by the military at any time. "In the first few days of basic training, you learn that you are just a number and to keep your mouth shut unless spoken to. We were told that we were going to learn how to be the worst damn killers in the battlefield. I was already thinking: what the hell are you talking about?"

Sombody E-mailed me this link becuse of looking and reading this particular thread and regaurding this thread THE ARTHURIAN MAJI GRAIL KING LINEAGE what do you guys think...???...!!!
    Moros/Merlin
    "My Own Digital Artwork"
    sigpic
    "My Own Digital Artwork"
    "Atlantis"

Comment

I now know more about you then I do my family, and possibly myself. Interesting read.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
        I now know more about you then I do my family, and possibly myself. Interesting read.
        Yup my family is vary old I have a long and distant family history and it go's back sevral centries in the Medieval ancient period and its vary vary extensive actually it go's way back and the fact that one of my own ascester were one of the Knights of the Round table in King Arthur's court.
        Moros/Merlin
        "My Own Digital Artwork"
        sigpic
        "My Own Digital Artwork"
        "Atlantis"

Comment

Have you done actual research with geneaological societies, church parish registers, censuses, etc? No offense intended, but a lot of that reads like 'hey there's a similar last name to mine, I must be related'.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            Have you done actual research with geneaological societies, church parish registers, censuses, etc? No offense intended, but a lot of that reads like 'hey there's a similar last name to mine, I must be related'.
            Well yes I did my indepth research and studies on that and I had found out it was none other then "Sir Britus filius Kay in 1199" one of King Arthur's Knights of The Round Table of King Arthur's Reign in the late 5th century to early 6th century.
            Moros/Merlin
            "My Own Digital Artwork"
            sigpic
            "My Own Digital Artwork"
            "Atlantis"

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin_Ascended View Post
              Well yes I did my indepth research and studies on that and I had found out it was none other then "Sir Britus filius Kay in 1199" one of King Arthur's Knights of The Round Table of King Arthur's Reign in the late 5th century to early 6th century.
              Considering that Arthur is a myth with several possible inspirations, you're not exactly making yourself sound more credible

Not to mention that it's not geneaological research unless you're following your own family back one generation at a time, starting from you and working backward
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I doubt your 100% Anglo-Saxon and know one has proved King Arthur even existed.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                  Considering that Arthur is a myth with several possible inspirations, you're not exactly making yourself sound more credible

Not to mention that it's not geneaological research unless you're following your own family back one generation at a time, starting from you and working backward
                  King Arthur is no myth he was real and did exest in history infact the current royal family now in England are the descendants of King Arthur and his father King Richard the Lionheart or Uther Pendragon of which King Richard the Lionheart was King Arthur was a son of a real life and historical King of the Crusades against Israel aka Jursalem. King Arthurs Uncle King Richards brother took hold of the crown while King Richard was involved in the compaigns and Crusades across Europe and the Middle East at the time King Richards brother was the corrupt King of England and the uncle of King Arthur himself.

Also knowing my own family's history and doing the reaserch over these past 5 years have dug up alot of my family's secrets and history that not even my own father or grandfather or my great grandfather even knew about I dug really deep into my own family's history. This that I have here states eitherwise. I know that my own ancestor was none other then one of King Arthur's Knights of the Round Table of King Arthur's court. Pluse my own ancestor was a odopted half brother of King Arthur becuse it was King Richard who adopted him as his own adopted son into the family. My own ancestor "Sir Britus filius Kay in 1199" one of King Arthur's Knights of The Round Table of King Arthur's Reign. THIS IS NO MYTH THIS IS THE REAL DEAL
                  Moros/Merlin
                  "My Own Digital Artwork"
                  sigpic
                  "My Own Digital Artwork"
                  "Atlantis"

Comment

Um...Arthur is mythology. There's a reason why it's called "Arthurian mythology". I did an entire course on Arthurian mythology in university, which quite nicely overlapped with courses in both both late antiquity/early Medieval European history and early history of the British Isles. This was while working on my History/Classics degree

The historical basis for Arthur is widely debated, but is most commonly thought to have been either Lucius Castus (a 2nd-century Roman soldier) or Ambrosius Aurelianus (a 5th-century Romano-British leader notable for his campaigns against the Saxons). Note that these are both centuries earlier than the 12th century.

I hate to do this, but I have to wonder if you've done any historical research at all:
                    King Arthur is no myth he was real and did exest in history infact the current royal family now in England are the descendants of King Arthur and his father King Richard the Lionheart
                    I had to snicker at this a little bit....it's a pretty well-known and well-accepted fact that Richard the Lionheart was homosexual, and in fact had no children. As a result, his brother John succeeded the throne after his death.

This is also cause for doubt in what you've said here:

My own ancestor "Sir Britus filius Kay in 1199" one of King Arthur's Knights of The Round Table of King Arthur's Reign. THIS IS NO MYTH THIS IS THE REAL DEAL[/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]
                    as Richard I died in April 1199 and was immediately succeeded by his younger brother John, with no interregnum period.

In fact, the names of the Kings of England are traditionally understood in most historical circles to begin with Egbert of Wessex in 829; and at no point from then till today has there ever been a King Arthur.

Comment

i know nothing about my family and it doesn't bother me 1 bit
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                        i know nothing about my family and it doesn't bother me 1 bit
                        I'm your cousin, prove me wrong .

Comment

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
                          I'm your cousin, prove me wrong .
                          I have no British ancestors. We are not related
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            I have no British ancestors. We are not related
                            PA why have you hacked into Jelgate's account? .

Comment

Working...
                            X