Stargate SG-ish last names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate SG-ish last names

I originally was going to discuss Stargate-ish last names for a Stargate series in general, but I think there's a different general trend for all 3 Stargate serieses.

So I'll just focus on SG-1 Earthan last names. Since most of the show involves U.S. personnel, I'll focus Anglo-American last names and other foreign-transliterated last names.

Just like Star Trek-ish, specifically TNG, Earthan last names are ones like Picard, Riker, LaForge, Crusher, etc.

Stargate SG1-ish last names would be like Cooper, Bradley, Anders, Anderson, Richardson, Wheeler, Grant, Branson, Johnson, Brant, Cohen, Peterson, etc Collins, Barnes, Dawes, Hughes, Williams, Morrison, Donnelly, Connelly, Connors, Harrison, etc.
    These are all last names I derived for my fanfic OCs or saw other fanfic authors derive for their OCs.

Anyone else ever thought of this? I'm sure others of you have.
    If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
    [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

recently looked up a list of surnames.

big reveal:

-ALL cliché names are the most COMMON names.

even Greer, Young, Armstrong, Wallace (family of the nanite medical company owner?), Scott, Wray, Carter, Hammond, etc.

they're all in the top, what, 50 names?

Comment

Since most people in the Stargate program are American, I'm not surprised the names are too. It does bother me a bit that there aren't really any minorities represented among the human main contingent, they're all of Anglo descent. Teal'c doesn't count since he's not human. In any case, minorities are overrepresented in the American military when compared to their percentage of the general population, but I suppose that's more true of the lower grades and the members of the Stargate program all seem to be officers. OTOH some shows bug me because they so obviously have picked a few characters to cater to particular minorities among the viewers, but that's another issue...
      sigpic

Comment

How about the one in SGA that i can remember his name
        sigpic
        Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
        StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
        GW member infractions : 1

Comment

I know a guy whos last name is "Homeworld Command"

Comment

i don't believe you
            sigpic
            Stargate Mods List

Comment

Originally posted by webxro View Post
              i don't believe you
              his name is "Tollan Homeworld Command" and his wife is "Stargate Ancient Tok'ra"

Comment

well you need to be more inventive
                sigpic
                Stargate Mods List

Comment

I always found odd how many characters in series are named Jack or Carter or John, for example Eurekas sheriffe is Jack Carter, an Torchwood character is also Jack. We are over the top with Jack's and john. Couldn't they try another?
                  sigpic
                  - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

These are the most common names
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Mods List

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                      Since most people in the Stargate program are American, I'm not surprised the names are too. It does bother me a bit that there aren't really any minorities represented among the human main contingent, they're all of Anglo descent. Teal'c doesn't count since he's not human. In any case, minorities are overrepresented in the American military when compared to their percentage of the general population, but I suppose that's more true of the lower grades and the members of the Stargate program all seem to be officers. OTOH some shows bug me because they so obviously have picked a few characters to cater to particular minorities among the viewers, but that's another issue...
                      They branched out to other countries with Stargate Atlantis. It's true that Shepard and Weir were American, but McKay was Canadian, Zelenka was Check, Carson was Scottish. True, not many, but some

Comment

Originally posted by Steelbox View Post
                        I always found odd how many characters in series are named Jack or Carter or John, for example Eurekas sheriffe is Jack Carter, an Torchwood character is also Jack. We are over the top with Jack's and john. Couldn't they try another?
                        Many Sci-Fi shows like names that begin with "J".

Stargate: Jack O'Neill
                        Atlantis: John Shepard
                        Star Trek: James T. Kirk
                        Next Gen: Jean-Luc Picard
                        Voyager: Janeway
                        Enterprise: Jonathan Archer
                        Babylon 5: John Sheridan/Jeffrey Sinclair
                        Farscape: John Crichton
                        Eurkea: Jack Carter

Comment

First, thanks to everyone for generally sharing.

Know exactly what u're talkin about, KM. I was trying to generate a list of Stargate SG1-ish sounding last names for my fanfic and came across a list similar to the list you did, except it was top 200. So a fair amount of them are definitely most-common last names.

My point overall is, excepting a few last names that could be usedfor character names that sound in-universe for both Stargate SG-1 and say Star Trek TNG, I think some actual and hypothetically 'canon'-sounding last names could only seem in place for one show and no the other. Just like O'Neill and Carter sound Stargate SG1-ish and Picard and Crusher sound Star Trek TNG-ish.

Also, with non-Earth/non-human first names , Teal'c has a Stargate-SG-1 feel while Worf has a Star Trek TNG feel.

TPTB for both shows didn't just randomly decide on names to use for characters. Anybody agree here?
                          If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
                          [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Originally posted by StargateWatcher View Post
                            TPTB for both shows didn't just randomly decide on names to use for characters. Anybody agree here?
                            I do. The character names have to go though an approval process. You can't have a Thomas Jefferson, but you can have a Thomas Jefferson Smith. Also if they make Jane L. Doe a evil woman & there's a real Jane L. Doe, she can sue. But only if there's like one in the U.S., if there are 12 she can't.

Urkle on Family Matters (I think that was the show) was named after a real man. He sued because the character was a nerdy geek with dork tendencies.

I heard that Captain Kathryn Janeway on Star Trek: Voyager was supposed to be named Elizabeth, but there was one woman in the U.S. named Elizabeth Janeway so they couldn't do that. After the show aired & that story go out she said she wouldn't have minded.

Also I think the writers try to keep the names simple so people will; 1. remember them & 2. be able to say them in a conversation about the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Fan-e-Gate View Post
                              I do. The character names have to go though an approval process. You can't have a Thomas Jefferson, but you can have a Thomas Jefferson Smith. Also if they make Jane L. Doe a evil woman & there's a real Jane L. Doe, she can sue. But only if there's like one in the U.S., if there are 12 she can't.

Urkle on Family Matters (I think that was the show) was named after a real man. He sued because the character was a nerdy geek with dork tendencies.

I heard that Captain Kathryn Janeway on Star Trek: Voyager was supposed to be named Elizabeth, but there was one woman in the U.S. named Elizabeth Janeway so they couldn't do that. After the show aired & that story go out she said she wouldn't have minded.

Also I think the writers try to keep the names simple so people will; 1. remember them & 2. be able to say them in a conversation about the show.
                              Major Lorne was named after, was it Peter Deluise, brother-in-law I think. At least his surname anyway.

And also talking about the various countries represented in Atlantis, Grodin was British, and there were a couple more British people there I noticed. And Spain as well.
                              sigpic
                              McKay: A Bow and arrow, what is this, Lord of the Rings.
                              Tony: Why do you think I call him Legolas.
                              ff.net - a03 || Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              X