This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Stargate underrated and overlooked?

A while back I stumbled across the Facebook group "The stargate franchise is so under-rated!", and it's only today I realised how true that is.

I discovered that Entertainment Weekly compiled a list of "TV's fanatical faves", and omitted Stargate SG-1. They later produced a list of “17 more shows” which people had written in about because they had missed, SG-1 was included here. I think they're caption on the photo sums up how I felt about, "No STARGATE: SG-1!? How can a show be on for 10 seasons — Yes, 10! — and have it's own national conventions dedicated to it, and not get a nod here?".

It's not just things like this, I remember a while back when it was revealed that Stargate Atlantis was named one of the most illegally downloaded shows. The author of the article I read seemed surprised it was up there with shows like 24 and Lost because he didn't think it was very good.

Both Ark of Truth and Continuum surprised MGM with their DVD sales, I think this is another example of it being overlooked. Continuum won a few awards here and there, yet still I get the feeling it slipped under the radar of most people.

In my experience it seems that even in Sci-Fi circles Stargate's something that's over-looked. I remember bringing Continuum along to my Uni's Sci-Fi society, when it came to voting on what we were gonna watch it got about 3 votes, one of those was a sympathy vote. During the quiz they held earlier that year it did seem as if there were some Stargaters among the group, but it doesn't seem to be a popular show within that group of people at least. I've since come to learn that I have a different taste to most people in that group anyway, as IMO the majority of shows and movies that get voted in are ****. The above is just one experience, I'd be interested in learning if this is a one off or is common place.

Related to the above, in an SGU Comic-Con panel Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper asked how many of the audience had watched SG-1 and Atlantis and, while you have to infer this from their reaction as you can't see the audience, they were surprised about how many people hadn't watched it. If comic-con goers don't watch Stargate who the hell does?

I realise that Stargate isn't for everyone, what is? At least with the people I know, the people who have watched Stargate say they like it, and the people who haven't watched Stargate (at all) say they don't want to because it's rubbish. This may be partly due to the mentality of "ZOMG, It has "Star" in the name therefore it's about Luke Skywalker exploring planets on the Enterprise". Most people I know haven't even heard of it until I tell them about it.

You could say the reason is because it's on SyFy, and while it get's good SyFy ratings these are nothing compared to the ratings main network shows get. But what about BSG? This got alot of attention by critics, while Stargate was left relatively unnoticed. Now where's BSG?

There's a parody of the "Delilah" song called Hey There MacGyver, it contains the lyrics "Hey there MacGyver how's Stargate? I heard it's second rate". Is this how the general public view SG? I don't think I need to defend SG-1 here, but second-rate?

It's been 16 years since the original movie was released, since then we have had 334 episodes, 1 uncanonical animated series and 2 DVD movies. In the 16 years of Trek they just had the Original series (3 seasons, 79 eps), the animated series and 2 movies. Yet it's rare to find a Stargate reference in Popular Culture, and when it happens (Simpsons, South Park) we get all excited about it.

Is Stargate just too young to get noticed?

Do you agree with me that it's underrated? More importantly why do you think it's underrated?

I'll finish with a quote from a review

Nobody seemed to like [Stargate SG-1] but the fans; it somehow always slipped under the radar of most TV critics
    Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

I wouldn't let a website that completely forgot about the original Star Trek, Highlander: The Series, Babylon 5 or Red Dwarf let you think SG1 was underrated. They even left out Lost, and the hype around that show would get it on any list.

I need to find this first list they did, see what crap they added on it.

sigpic

Comment

Absolutely. I mean here in the UK, I am constantly surprised by the amount of people who actually watch Stargate, and in the past it was on SkyOne constantly. So it's obviously doing something right. And yet, it's exposure in the mainstream (and even the scifi dedicated) press; critics, reviews, news etc, it's pretty much a non-entity.

Comment

You hit a lot of really good points in that. And honestly, I used to be one of those people that thought it was a pile of rubbish... DONT HATE ME I CHANGED MY MIND!!! *hides behind chair and checks for flying objects...*

And actually the REASON I decided to give it another chance was because of the die hard fan base that I noiced was out there for it. I have always loved scifi stuff... been a trekkie since I was wee!! So I gave it another go... and hey look, its great!! LOL

SyFy is known for some pretty CHEEZE stuff *ahem* ...your average saturday night syfy made TV movie...err, I wont even get started on those!! LOL And the MacGuyver thing was hard for me to get past too... Just like Kevin Sorbo was in Andromeda, all I saw was Hercules minus the hair!!

Hopefully more people will come around, it is a really great show...and compairing myself to you guys on here I am such a inexperienced newb!! LOL But I am enjoying getting caught up...I have many episodes to go still!! YAY!

Comment

it's exactly where it supposed to be.
          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Star Trek didn't star off as a mega-hit. Sometimes it takes time for something to catch on. Then again, not everyone sees what we do in it. Dr. Who has been around for 40-some years & not every sci-fi fan thinks that's so great. (I'm one of them)
            Last edited by Fan-e-Gate; 23 August 2010, 01:30 PM. Reason: I frelled-up

Comment

[QUOTE=Robyn 666;11836906]You hit a lot of really good points in that. And honestly, I used to be one of those people that thought it was a pile of rubbish... DONT HATE ME I CHANGED MY MIND!!! *hides behind chair and checks for flying objects...*

hahaha
              If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
              [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Originally posted by Fan-e-Gate View Post
                Star Trek did star off as a mega-hit. Sometimes it takes time for something to catch on. Then again, not everyone sees what we do in it. Dr. Who has been around for 40-some years & not every sci-fi fan thinks that's so great. (I'm one of them)
                Don't you mean Trek didn't start off as hit?

Back in the 60s TOS was considered a failure
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Well in time , in another 20 years SG will gather support , but yes i think that's it really is a underrated tv series
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
                  StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
                  GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Originally posted by webxro View Post
                    Well in time , in another 20 years SG will gather support , but yes i think that's it really is a underrated tv series
                    i don't think it will pull a star trek and go huge once it's over. SG will always be a cult franchise.
                    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

No i was referring that in time it will increase in size , and it will be hard for people not to have a idea about it .
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Mods List

Comment

Sci fi in general is always going to be a niche market. I don't think it meshes very well with the mainstream. I'm sure that sci-fi fans can handle more mainstream influence on their genre, but I don't think that a true sci-fi show will pull in a major general (non sci-fi) audience simply by adding more mainstream elements into these shows/diluting the sci-fi elements. Many people not into sci-fi are always going to roll their eyes a bit when they see it involves spaceships or it's set in the future, even if the sci-fi setting is mostly a backdrop for a more mainstream story.

I've liked all stargates and I'm a pretty fussy viewer, but I really like sci fi in general (though I didn't care for many sci-fi series like enterprise or farscape).
                        I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Well let's just look it this was , many people drooled after seeing Avatar , and they really loved the outer planet tough guy , and bullets , but would never watch SG because they thing that it involves something like phaser weapons , another opinion is that this is that damage done by Star Trek to the Sci-Fi gender , because when a common person think about this gender one a single thing comes to their mind ST , well maybe we need a new gender for SG
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Mods List

Comment

Yeah, I think it is underrated, but at the same time I'm almost happy that's the case, that it never really went mainstream but instead remained a very successful cult show with a supportive fanbase.
                            And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Well i bet they say that SG is a action series , they will have tons of people watching , and they should add only the action sequences in trailers and promos , and when they watch they will be cough in the gasp of SG
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Mods List

Comment

Working...
                              X