Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should they make a new Stargate movie for theaters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should they make a new Stargate movie for theaters?

After re-watching Firefly and Serenity, I recalled how I was drawn into Firefly.
    I didn't catch the series prior to it's cancellation, instead I was drawn in by Serenity.
    This made me think, could TPtB make a feature length Stargate movie for theaters (again) that is capable of attracting a new audience, while at the same time preforming fan service?
    I have thought of a few "guidelines" for such a movie:
    -The story would have to be self-contained. It can't draw heavily on past SG-1 events, but can draw on the current setting. Wrapping up loose ends is something suited for a straight to dvd movie.
    -A new character would have to be introduced. This character would be introduced to the SGC, SG-1, and Stargate tech alongside new audience members. Hopefully, this can be done in a non-intrusive way that flows with the movie, and doesn't feel like one big chunk of "introduction time".
    >Idea for opening scene. First setting is introduced, then the antagonist/conflict, then Cam heads towards the briefing room to meet said new character. Along the way he bumps into each SG-1 member doing something that they would normally do (think how Serenity began). He would enter the briefing room, with O'Neil and Landry introducing this movie's John Myers (cookie for those who get how that relates).
    -A multi-dimensional villain. I don't want to see a villian simply seeking power, I want to know the antagonists motives, I want an antagonist who truly believes they are doing the right thing.
    >Idea for villain. High ranking Lucien Alliance member with the same mentality as
    Spoiler:
    Telford when he was brainwashed by the L.A. in Incursion Pt. 1 of SGU
    , where the antagonist believes that the Taur'i are irresponsible, selfish and don't care about the after effects of creating a power vacuum.

Of course, this is all just spit-balling, you guys can contribute your ideas, but the question stands, should their be a new theatrical Stargate movie?

Even if a Stargate movie was economically fesible they can't release one in theaters unless Emmnerich and Devlin say so. People mind you who loathe everything Stargate except the original movie
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      Even if a Stargate movie was economically fesible they can't release one in theaters unless Emmnerich and Devlin say so. People mind you who loathe everything Stargate except the original movie
      Really? I wasn't aware that Emmnerich and Devlin had exclusive rights to theatrical Stargate films...
      I also didn't know they hated Stargate either...

Comment

It'd be unlikely to work.
        Firefly was so amazing and so short lived that the main story threads were still fluid and could be turned into almost anything based around 9 people.
        Stargate has gone on for SO long and has so many details that anything that could theoretically appeal to a wider audience unfamiliar with stargate would have to do such a disservice to loyal fans.
        Das guy eating vegetabbles, says 'Waock!' and nice guy obliteratio for sudden.

I always hated that saying...

Comment

I'm going to resurrect this thread because I think that the trouble SGU is in could tempt MGM to give Devlin and Emmrich another shot. I'm not saying I want to see it happen, but I think it is more plausible now than ever.

I believe MGM didn't make a sequel with the TV series in production mainly because they didn't want to confuse or split the fanbase. But if SGU goes away and MGM, which is in economic trouble, has a potentially profitable title available to them I think they would be willing to let Devlin and Emmerich have another crack.

If they were to do such a thing it would, in my mind, constitute a reboot of the franchise. This is because the Devlin Emmerich universe, while the basis for the TV franchise, is a very different world. It's also one we haven't heard from since 1994. Personally I wouldn't like the idea of hard-ass O'Neil, an extremely nerdy Daniel married to "Shur'i," and a gateroom not located in Chyane Mountain.

That said, I believe there are reasons it won't happen. First, if it weren't for the TV show Stargate would be a fairly forgettable, albeit profitable, sci-fi action adventure. It didn't have the same box office pull as Devlin and Emmerich's later films like Independence Day, and it suffered some pretty bad reviews from critics.

Anyway, do you think such a thing is a possibility, and if so would you welcome it?

Comment

Honestly, I don't want another Stargate movie for the big-screen. Especially if it ignores the SG-1 storyline. Just give us our 3rd SG-1 DVD movie, and I'll be happy.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
              Honestly, I don't want another Stargate movie for the big-screen. Especially if it ignores the SG-1 storyline. Just give us our 3rd SG-1 DVD movie, and I'll be happy.
              agreed.
              sigpic
              The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Working...
              X