• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Common Descent" (217) Pre-Airing Discussion/Speculation Thread

Writer: Rob Cooper
    Director: ?

---

And that's it, folks! Every episode slot has been filled!

We called up Rob and gave him notes on his final script of the season, episode #217, Common Descent.
    http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ments-mailbag/

There was one previous mention:

The rest of the day was spent yakking about Carl’s first draft of Hope, episode #14, my outline for The Hunt, episode #16, and whether or not Radio, episode #18, still worked given the preceding episode.
    http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...anora-rob-san/

...So I guess if "Radio" doesn't work out, we'll still have an episode title left.

FINALLY the last episode title. My Excel spreadsheets were getting angry with me!
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

And so was my Word document!

Comment

I have so many TV and movie spreadsheets it's not even funny
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Maybe you guys need to get out more? Look for a new hobby? I suggest baking cookies.
          A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Interesting title that's for sure. Descent would suggest falling or downward actions.....the common part of the title puzzles me though
            ^sig made by Laura

Comment

Hmm.

In evolutionary biology, a group of organisms have common descent if they have a common ancestor.
              Wiki.

Comment

just wondering what someone would do with a spreadsheet of episode titles...

/just curious

Comment

Originally posted by themeatcleaver View Post

/just curious
                  I keep spreadsheets of episode titles to collect rating numbers
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by themeatcleaver View Post

/just curious
                    Nothing world-stopping-ly-exciting

One example
                    A second

Comment

Hmmm, dont know what to make of it...

We could use some episode descriptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
                        Hmm.

In evolutionary biology, a group of organisms have common descent if they have a common ancestor.
                        Wiki.
                        That was what came to my mind when I saw the episode title, I guess we'll see.
                        sigpic

Comment

Scott: O hi chloe wanna make out, i know last time my erecti-
                          Chloe: I'm your sister.........
                          Scott:
                          Tst

Comment

Casting notices have gone out for episode 217:

Spoiler:
                            Director: Peter DeLuise
                            Writer: Robert Cooper
                            Shoot Dates: 9/29 - 10/13

[YAOZU] (55-65) Male or Female. This philosophical world wearied village elder has been cut off from his/her home planet for decades and holds out hope for the return of his/her people to their former home. (Please submit Asian, Eurasian, Indian, and Native American actors). Recurring.

[JASON] (20-25) This somewhat naïve and idealistic villager has known no other planet than the one he lives on, and looks to the future with more optimism than their elders. (Please submit all ethnicities, with emphasis on exotic, culturally mixed actors). Recurring.

[ELLIE] (20-25) This somewhat naïve and idealistic villager has known no other planet than the one she lives on, and looks to the future with more optimism than her elders. (Please submit all ethnicities, with emphasis on exotic, culturally mixed actors). Recurring.

-------

Going by these character descriptions and the casting sides (I read a couple of scenes), it seems that some sort of common ancestor of people on Destiny and a planet they visit via the gate may be part of the storyline. There may also be either time travel or multiple universes or versions of the same people. The casting sides were a bit difficult to follow (It's possible that some character names were changed to confuse spoiler hunters), but Eli, Chloe, and Scott were in at least one of the scenes. Two other characters mentioned in the sides are Bruce Graham and Timothy Beals (But I don't know if they're new characters or "fake" names of current characters).

One of the scenes begins as Graham and Beals and some others (including Scott, Chloe, and Eli) come through the gate onto a planet and meet Jason and Ellie, who know Graham and Beals' names and speak English. Jason and Ellie are shocked because Graham and Beals supposedly died thousands of years ago. Another character named Carl says, "Yes and no" and tells them there's a perfectly good explanation and Carl tells Graham that the other him could have guessed that they'd gone back in time. Ellie says that the "testament" says that Destiny might one day return. Jason suggests that they come and meet the others in the settlement, so they all start walking. Ellie tells the group who came through the gate that she thought they'd come from Novus, and Chloe seems surprised that they aren't on Novus. Ellie explains that her people were originally part of an expedition sent through the gates thousands of years ago to explore other worlds, but one day they could no longer connect to Novus and they've been stranded ever since. That was before Ellie and Jason were even born.

Another somewhat confusing part of the sides was a tour of a ship. I didn't recognize most of the character names, so I couldn't tell for sure if it was the people of Destiny giving Ellie's people a tour of Destiny. But I'm guessing that's probably what it was. Ellie's people ask if they can help them return to Novus in the ship.
                            Last edited by Rhoswen; 22 September 2010, 02:06 AM. Reason: Updating spoiler info

Comment

Spoiler:
                              Meh, don't like the sound of that. This is the sort of thing I'd hoped they'd be steering clear of.

Comment

Working...
                              X