X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG: Revolution/Extinction - Gap between movies

Hello,

Im going absolutely crazy waiting for these movies to be made and the longer they take the more I worry because the longer our beloved SG actors are away from the franchise and out of character will make it harder for them to get back into character when the movies finally go into production and they may not feel the same when we watch them, if that makes sense.

The other thing is with SGA ending with Atlantis being on earth as far as we know its still there and because we know that SG1/SGA/SGU "flow" on the same timeline it means that Atlantis has been on earth for well over a year which has given the wraith plenty of time to do some serious damage in pegasus and Michaels first group of hybrids (from season 3) are still out there somewhere even though hes dead. It just makes you wonder whats happening and what Extinction will include..it so frustrating not knowing lol.

and Revolution I think its going to be something about obtaining technology/weapons to defend earth and what ive read may be set slightly before SGU which could tie in with the story of a secret mission being involved in SGU. When I heard it was to be O'Neill heavy I thought it may have something to do with his offworld "love child" from A hundred days (ep #317) lol but now I dont know.

Still I hope the actors dont lose their character and I also hope that all of them are available to make the movies when they go into production because if it takes too long they could have moved onto other things or contracted to a different company or something which would be a disaster!!!!

Do you think the gap will make a difference to the actors and/or even the story lines for the movies?

the core story, no, details, yes.

i think it's better to wait and massively increase the successes than to do an expensive movie, with a big chance of failure and bringing MGM closer to doom

Comment

Or a huge success , maybe surpassing SW !
      sigpic
      Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
      StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
      GW member infractions : 1

Comment

I would imagine that getting back into character for the actos would be like putting on an old comfy pair of shoes.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maxrpg View Post
          Hello,
          Hi.

I'm going absolutely crazy waiting for these movies to be made and the longer they take the more I worry because the longer our beloved SG actors are away from the franchise and out of character will make it harder for them to get back into character when the movies finally go into production and they may not feel the same when we watch them, if that makes sense.
          Personally I believe/think that the actors in the Stargate series are decent, good actors. So, as I am convinced that any decent actor will have no serious, lasting problems with re-identifying with previous characters, 'cause that's what an actor does, I do not worry about this. In short, no, this won't be a problem IMO.

On another note, realistically, it might still take quite a bit of time (at least more than a year minimum) before any of the stargate movies will be released, if it ever happens. It might be better to relax a bit 'cause it won't be any time soon.

The other thing is with SGA ending with Atlantis being on earth as far as we know its still there
          I beg to differ. Atlantis could be anywhere by now. Use your imagination.

and because we know that SG1/SGA/SGU "flow" on the same timeline it means that Atlantis has been on earth for well over a year
          I don't see how we know this... This reasoning makes no sense to me.

which has given the wraith plenty of time to do some serious damage in pegasus and Michaels first group of hybrids (from season 3) are still out there somewhere even though hes dead. It just makes you wonder whats happening and what Extinction will include..it so frustrating not knowing lol.
          Sure, it makes you wondering, but I don't see any negative impact towards any part of the stargate franchise. Obviously the general plot for Extinction will stay intact, and consequence of that plot, events in the movie are probably affecting SGU plot/events. J. Mallozzi at least said so on his blog.

and Revolution I think its going to be something about obtaining technology/weapons to defend earth and what ive read may be set slightly before SGU which could tie in with the story of a secret mission being involved in SGU. When I heard it was to be O'Neill heavy I thought it may have something to do with his offworld "love child" from A hundred days (ep #317) lol but now I dont know.
          AFAIK Revolution could be about anything, and it could take place any time. It has been said that it will be O'Neill heavy, and just as with Extinction the general plot of the movie is thought-out and probably won't be altered anymore, but we know very very little about it.

Still I hope the actors don't lose their character and I also hope that all of them are available to make the movies when they go into production because if it takes too long they could have moved onto other things or contracted to a different company or something which would be a disaster!!!!
          Realistically I have to say that the actors have moved on, and that it could indeed be problematic for casting, shooting schedules etc. However, it's way too soon to worry about this. First the movie needs to be given a go ahead, which for now will only happen if MGM's financial problems are resolved. Even with a solution for that situation, the movies need to be cleared and green-lighted. Only then actual practical planning can go ahead.

Do you think the gap will make a difference to the actors and/or even the story lines for the movies?
          No it will not. We have good actors for both the series, and the general plot and story will stay the same.
          A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

I don't think that either will ever be made.

Comment

Or a huge success , maybe surpassing SW !
              i won't disturb your dream

I don't think that either will ever be made.
              i think they will, just not now.

as i said, the risk currently is too high

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the replys and I know all the actors are fantastic I just worry that with them doing other shows/films and playing other characters they may not be able to get fully back into character and their apperance aswell...what if Hewlett goes bald before the movie is made lol.

No offence David if your reading this .

Why is the risk too high to make them now? ar'nt they spending $1000s storing/keeping the sets up..spend it on making the movies..take the sets down ..save money.

If I got my cheque book out does anyone know roughly how much it costs to make a stargate movie? I mean ones from the series.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  as i said, the risk currently is too high
                  The casual market is shrinking the longer this goes on, any potential DVD movie can't hope to sell as well as AoT or Continuum, by the time they were released, even if they started filming right now SG-1 would have been off the air for over 4 years. The risk isn't going to go away, it's going to get bigger and bigger.

Why is the risk too high to make them now? ar'nt they spending $1000s storing/keeping the sets up..spend it on making the movies..take the sets down ..save money.
                  The risk is too high because the DVD movie market is in tatters, they risk losing money on the project. None of the sets have been kept up, some have been stored to save money, the rest have been dismantled and auctioned off or else destroyed.

If I got my cheque book out does anyone know roughly how much it costs to make a stargate movie? I mean ones from the series.
                  About 7 million dollars, and that's before marketing, which is another risky expense which would be required to have any hope of making your money back.

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                    Hi.

Personally I believe/think that the actors in the Stargate series are decent, good actors. So, as I am convinced that any decent actor will have no serious, lasting problems with re-identifying with previous characters, 'cause that's what an actor does, I do not worry about this. In short, no, this won't be a problem IMO.

On another note, realistically, it might still take quite a bit of time (at least more than a year minimum) before any of the stargate movies will be released, if it ever happens. It might be better to relax a bit 'cause it won't be any time soon.

I beg to differ. Atlantis could be anywhere by now. Use your imagination.

I don't see how we know this... This reasoning makes no sense to me.

Sure, it makes you wondering, but I don't see any negative impact towards any part of the stargate franchise. Obviously the general plot for Extinction will stay intact, and consequence of that plot, events in the movie are probably affecting SGU plot/events. J. Mallozzi at least said so on his blog.

AFAIK Revolution could be about anything, and it could take place any time. It has been said that it will be O'Neill heavy, and just as with Extinction the general plot of the movie is thought-out and probably won't be altered anymore, but we know very very little about it.

Realistically I have to say that the actors have moved on, and that it could indeed be problematic for casting, shooting schedules etc. However, it's way too soon to worry about this. First the movie needs to be given a go ahead, which for now will only happen if MGM's financial problems are resolved. Even with a solution for that situation, the movies need to be cleared and green-lighted. Only then actual practical planning can go ahead.

No it will not. We have good actors for both the series, and the general plot and story will stay the same.
                    I think the delay on the movies is negatively impacting the franchise. A lot of people who are fans of SG-1 and SGA aren't really interested in SGU. The only reason they participate in the fandom is for new movies. The longer and longer it takes, the more people leave the franchise and fandom and as a result, fandom, and the franchise has been a much more bleak place then it used to be when the movies were nearly made.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by major davis View Post
                      I think the delay on the movies is negatively impacting the franchise.
                      I think the damage the delay caused has already happened. Nothing can change that anymore now. The impact of an even longer delay has gone down to a negligible level.

A lot of people who are fans of SG-1 and SGA aren't really interested in SGU.
                      This is an impression you have, probably based on the "fandom". This is only a small fraction of the potential viewers/audience for the movies and/or other parts of the franchise as for example SGU. While it might indicate a trend, which I doubt, this is a statement I am very uncomfortable with.

The only reason they participate in the fandom is for new movies.
                      I, for example, have a completely different view on this. For example, two of my friends who had never seen any stargate episode in their life before SGU, are now watching SGU and probably will support SGU. Again, I'm not comfortable with the "they". We have no overall insight into this, whatsoever.

The longer and longer it takes, the more people leave the franchise and fandom and as a result, fandom, and the franchise has been a much more bleak place then it used to be when the movies were nearly made.
                      Again, fandom is a small part of the possible audience. This is something that makes no sense to me, 'cause the movies were never "nearly made". There is no such thing as "nearly made". Either they are made, or they are not. For now they are not. It's not because there's a lot of talk by fans, or rumors on the internet and in the media, or misinformed or misguided statements by whoever, that something is actually happening (or has happened). We've been at a standstill for SG1 and SGA, respectively ever since Continuum got made and SGA got canceled. Furthermore, IMHO, people should at least consider the fact that the franchise still lives on in SGU as positive fact, even if they don't like it, is a positive thing, and not some overly negative thing towards any further continuation of the other series.

Let's be realistic here, those two series won't get another season, so the only way they will live on is through the movies. Those movies don't get made 'cause there simply isn't any money to make them. There never has been any money from the beginning (when the scripts were pitched). So, we've been there all along and nothing has changed whatsoever on that front.

Now, the fact that SGU is running, keeps the franchise alive and TPTB together, and in contact with the studio and the network etc. It even provides the stargate audience with something new to watch, if they like it. So, no negative impact towards the movies, merely the opposite. Compare this with a series like TSCC, Dollhouse, The 4400, etc. all series that got cancelled and where everything fell apart. There are no chances like this there.

I'd say that the impact of what you are describing has already happened, soon after the cancellation of SGA, and SG1. Now it's down to a negligible level. The franchise is not in any bleak place now, it just has chosen another direction, with some changes, in which it has the most chance of survival IMO. The standstill for the movies is something that cannot be changed for now, and it would be pointless to just sit there and wait for this to change. So, instead, there's something new which does has a chance, and it's SGU.

And yes, maybe SGU doesn't work for all the old fans of SG1 and/or SGA, that is realistic, it's life, but this is not a "bleak place" for the franchise. SGA didn't work for all fans for SG1 either. The franchise evolves, it changes, and so does its audience, fan-base and fandom.
                      A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Just watched Full circle again there and at the end of it Skara says to Jack "I won't see you again, at least for a while" and Revolution is supposed to O'Neill centric isn't it? It'd be great to see Skara back again for the movie, even if it was just in a similar capacity to how Danial visited him while he was ascended.
                        I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                          I think the damage the delay caused has already happened. Nothing can change that anymore now. The impact of an even longer delay has gone down to a negligible level.

This is an impression you have, probably based on the "fandom". This is only a small fraction of the potential viewers/audience for the movies and/or other parts of the franchise as for example SGU. While it might indicate a trend, which I doubt, this is a statement I am very uncomfortable with.

I, for example, have a completely different view on this. For example, two of my friends who had never seen any stargate episode in their life before SGU, are now watching SGU and probably will support SGU. Again, I'm not comfortable with the "they". We have no overall insight into this, whatsoever.

Again, fandom is a small part of the possible audience. This is something that makes no sense to me, 'cause the movies were never "nearly made". There is no such thing as "nearly made". Either they are made, or they are not. For now they are not. It's not because there's a lot of talk by fans, or rumors on the internet and in the media, or misinformed or misguided statements by whoever, that something is actually happening (or has happened). We've been at a standstill for SG1 and SGA, respectively ever since Continuum got made and SGA got canceled. Furthermore, IMHO, people should at least consider the fact that the franchise still lives on in SGU as positive fact, even if they don't like it, is a positive thing, and not some overly negative thing towards any further continuation of the other series.

Let's be realistic here, those two series won't get another season, so the only way they will live on is through the movies. Those movies don't get made 'cause there simply isn't any money to make them. There never has been any money from the beginning (when the scripts were pitched). So, we've been there all along and nothing has changed whatsoever on that front.

Now, the fact that SGU is running, keeps the franchise alive and TPTB together, and in contact with the studio and the network etc. It even provides the stargate audience with something new to watch, if they like it. So, no negative impact towards the movies, merely the opposite. Compare this with a series like TSCC, Dollhouse, The 4400, etc. all series that got cancelled and where everything fell apart. There are no chances like this there.

I'd say that the impact of what you are describing has already happened, soon after the cancellation of SGA, and SG1. Now it's down to a negligible level. The franchise is not in any bleak place now, it just has chosen another direction, with some changes, in which it has the most chance of survival IMO. The standstill for the movies is something that cannot be changed for now, and it would be pointless to just sit there and wait for this to change. So, instead, there's something new which does has a chance, and it's SGU.

And yes, maybe SGU doesn't work for all the old fans of SG1 and/or SGA, that is realistic, it's life, but this is not a "bleak place" for the franchise. SGA didn't work for all fans for SG1 either. The franchise evolves, it changes, and so does its audience, fan-base and fandom.
                          I was refering to "they" as the fans who are only interested in SG-1 and SGA. Obviously a lot were lost in the transfer. The viewers for SGU (At least on TV) is less then SGA was. And its not like all of the SGU viewers used to watch SGA previously. A lot of them probably haven't watched any stargate before. That leads me to believe a LOT of SGA and SG-1 viewers aren't big fans of SGU and really are only interested in SGA and SG-1. If there were movies, we would have all the SGA and SG-1 fans buying Stargate and participating in fandom, and we would have all the new SGU people here as well. Stargate may be alive now, but it could have been thriving now if things went different.

Put it this way.

Stargate had the opportunity to be in its golden era, producing a TV and several movies each year. Video games and other stargate related material were springing up. Energy for the franchise was high. But then the movies and other limbs of the franchise died down.

SGU wasn't as successful as people would have hoped and the movies have been on delay for quite some time to where, even if they are produced, they might be the last we get (the original intention was to make at least 2 movies a year, possibly more). So the idea of the series of the movies is all but gone and SGU is failing expectations and just getting by, the first GIANT video game that was supposed to happen for Stargate is canceled(though we got a smaller one), the magazine is canceled and fandom seems to be dying down(though that could be attributed to the hiatus).

Im sure once SGU season 2 comes it will get better ratings and fandom might heat up. However, imagine how active things would be for the franchise and fandom this summer if the movies did go ahead as promised last year. Right now it might not be that bleak by normal standards, I still believe the Stargate franchise can get back to where it used to be, but it is bleak compared to how great this franchise could have become if all went well.

And I know fandom is a small part of the needed audience, but look and DVD sales for SGU or ratings for SGU. The ratings have been passable but the DVD sales have been moot. But both were nowhere near what SG-1 and SGA got. No granted, it might grow overtime as the show picks up momentum, but as of now, things are not looking good.

SGUs performance(DVD sales, ratings etc) is not good for SGU or a possible SGU movie and it certainly can't be good for the SGA and SG-1 movies.

This is by no means SGU hate though.. I love SGU with all my heart. I want to see it succeed. I just think the franchise could be so much more alive with the movies. I just feel SGA was betrayed (it was canceled to move SGA into a series of movies) and SG-1 was kind of cheated too. I want to see Stargate thrive, not just be alive. Thats why I think it is so important to fight for what we believe in.

www.stargatemoviescampaign.com
                          sigpic

Comment

Making movies that bombed would have hurt the franchise a lot more than not making them at all.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                              Making movies that bombed would have hurt the franchise a lot more than not making them at all.
                              Bombed Financially or in viewer reception? And why would the movies bomb. You saw how well SGA season 5 sold and how well watched the end of atlantis was. Why wouldn't they be back for a movie. SG-1 had a great chance of bombing IMO but I think RDA and Amanda will always bring people back. Plus good promotion could bring people back who might have forgotten about SG.

If your talking about the market look at it now. This is what the movies would be released in. If SG-1 got anywhere near what Hot Tub Time Machine did, it would be a success. DVDs are still selling pretty well, and we have no clue what blu ray sales are (they will probably add a significant portion of sales). If the worry is about the market, I seriously doubt it would be a problem.

And you want to talk about bombing DVD sales that could hurt the franchise, look at SGU.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X