Guardians of the Galaxy (Marvel) - News/Discussion/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    There are countless examples of famous people having had a job that nobody blinked at at the time, but are awful or offensive in hindsight.

Jimmy Kimmel is a popular, affable, well-regarded comic talk show host. He launched his career with The Man Show, which had as regular feature the "Juggy Dance Squad," and ended every show with the "Girls on Trampolines" bit.

Eddie Murphy is considered a legend of comedy, and has a modern reputation as a family comedy man. But if you watch his most famous and well-regarded standup special, Delirious, you'll find the first 10-15 minutes are punctuated by horrifically hateful homophobic comments. Has his career been sacrificed on the altar of public outrage?

Firing someone you've employed for six years because of the work they were doing ten years ago--and never tried to hide from you--is stupid, plain and simple.
    Doing things that were acceptable by society at the time doesn't compare with rape jokes. Eddie Murphy's special was in the early 1980's. Kimmel's trampoline was equally routed under the umbrella of the culture today is about as far as you can get in the "offense-o-meter" from rape. Unless of course joking about violating children was seen the same way as making homophobic remarks in the 80's or objectifying grown women to net some views.

If he had done used racial slurs in jokes six years ago, or made an off handed remark about gay people six years ago and has since apologized and made amends for it, I'd fully agree with you. But...this...this was never acceptable outside of what? Ancient Greece?

How can you compare those two things to rape?
    By Nolamom
    sigpic

Comment

They were unfunny jokes. He wasn't raping anyone. He wasn't telling people to rape. He was saying words. That's it.

If being rude or crude at some point in your past is a good enough excuse to torpedo your livelihood, we're in a sorry state of affairs indeed.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

This is a problem with social media and celebrity. I wonder if this would be happening if people had found these "jokes" in a movie script he wrote or even if it were in a a novel or something. The fact that he put it on social media means people assume that this is who he really is when in fact he was trying to create entertainment and blew it big time. Think what you will about Troma, but their success comes from being counter to culture and appealing to that audience. I can say people are too sensitive, but I can also say I find his comments offensive as many should. That doesn't mean his life should be destroyed just because he poorly judged what he said while trying to create a reaction.

I guess my point is the context. I feel like he was trying to tow the line of the raunchy entity that gave him his start unlike others who specifically targeted a person or persons out a desire to create a reaction with personal attack that came from a place of hate. I'm not saying the individual is full of hate; just that the comments they made came with a hateful tone. Gunn's comments did not come from a place of hate. Gunn's comments came from poor judgement.

Disney definitely overreacted. They should have made him apologize for the ill conceived humor of someone struggling for attention in the world of entertainment and then made him make some LARGE charitable donations. I wish I could say that should have been good enough, but not in this world of Trolls and people who profit by manipulating the populous at the expense of ethics and morality. I'm definitely not saying people shouldn't be aware that he made these "jokes", but I am saying that he should be able to apologize and have everyone move past it. This new world will never allow that too happen. Even if Disney does the right thing and hires him back with the stipulations I suggested above, the profiteers will hound Guardians 3 until long after it is released in theaters. Would it effect the movie? I kind of doubt it unless they can find real ways to compound the attack on him with more material.

So did he make bad jokes? Yes

Should he be allowed to apologize and move passed it and keep his job? Yes

Is he being allowed to move passed it? No - Because people in this world make a living trying to ruin other people's lives.

And just to be fair.
        Roseanne

Did she make a bad joke? Yes

Should she be allowed to apologize and move passed it? Yes

Should she be allowed to apologize, move passed it, and continue her show? No because her comments were not just a poorly judged generalized attempt at humor that fit the raunchy model of the entertainment company she was supporting like Gunn. She made an attempt to gain attention that targeted an individual with venom that came with a hateful tone.

Does this mean people who make a living out of trying to ruin people's lives should keep hounding her? No, but they will.

Does this mean she shouldn't be able to have other shows and success? No, but maybe because she just seems to be making things worse by suggesting her politics is the real reason she lost her show when that is not the reality. She should have stuck with the message that she was an "idiot" who poorly chose her words. That isn't exactly what happened, but turning things around and trying to say that what she said isn't the real reason she lost her show is kind of a strong sign that taking her show away from her was probably a good idea.

The real question is what will the fans do?
        Will they boycott Guardians without Gunn - I doubt it unless they hire Ron Howard (Who I love BTW, but I recognize he does have weaknesses.)
        Will they boycott if Gunn is brought back? Well there would be talks of boycotts, but I don't think any boycott would effect the movie significantly just because Gunn was directing unless major victims awareness groups decided to get involved. Nothing would surprise me because people jump on any opportunity to gain attention for themselves or their organization.

Comment

i personally dont know if now is the right time to make a guardians of the galaxy film or a marvel film in general... disney should just send back everyones money for all the movie tickets and purchases of things they made... you know... because people could better spend that money on caring for and protecting thier friends neighbors and family, instead of watching entertainment or movies that make you critically examine things or your perspective in life....

i honostly just read the comments on this last page and didnt bother to read the rest..... but i stand by comments of destroying disney because they dared to make movies that were fun and made you think and have a decent if somewhat cheesey plotline... how dare they do that thing they do... making movies.... that are well crafted for their genres

Comment

They were unfunny jokes. He wasn't raping anyone. He wasn't telling people to rape. He was saying words. That's it.

If being rude or crude at some point in your past is a good enough excuse to torpedo your livelihood, we're in a sorry state of affairs indeed.
            Roseanne wasn't lynching anyone nor telling people to do so. I'm sorry, since when does society use "it was just words" to let people off the hook?

My point is why should he be treated differently? His comments were utterly repulsive, that's beyond "unfunny". I'd be more forgiving of him if his jokes were about Mexicans (me, btw) than this. But I'll say this, I do think that he should have been given some leeway since it was so long ago in "another life" so to speak. But then again, people haven't been receiving that benefit. So why should he? If it's because we I starting to draw a line and push back against this new culture of unmerciful knee jerk "fire 'em!" Then I am all for it. But that is not what I am seeing here.
            By Nolamom
            sigpic

Comment

So despite most of the big names attached to Guardians 3 signing a letter to Disney requesting Gunn be rehired it appears Disney is going to hold their ground and keep him out. I doubt it will noticeably effect the box office returns unless there is more controversy.

Comment

This article just about sums up my feelings way better than I have on the matter.

https://www.themarysue.com/disney-no...ng-james-gunn/
                By Nolamom
                sigpic

Comment

And I can’t stand the tripe that The Mary Sue publishes, so that tracks
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                    This article just about sums up my feelings way better than I have on the matter.

https://www.themarysue.com/disney-no...ng-james-gunn/
                    [/quote]
                    That "article" is a joke.
                    It basically asserts that people are incapable of change, even if they apologise.
                    Now, there are false apologies, granted, but Gunn did not continue his behaviour, he stopped.
                    That's actual behaviour modification based on self reflection, like "evolving" on any issue.
                    IF he continued his behaviour post apology however, I would be more in toods camp -but he did not-
                    [quote]
                    And I can’t stand the tripe that The Mary Sue publishes, so that tracks
                    It's more opinion disguised as reporting, and as long as you say "opinion" (without political or work related power), I am not fussed, that's first amendment.
                    Mary sue is not "bad", it's just not "news", Much like half of "Fox" is not news (or NBC, or CNN, or MSNBC), and should be treated the same way.
                    Opinion pretending to be news is the danger, not the bias of -reporting-
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

The Truth about James Gunn and the Pedophile in his Childhood

https://medium.com/@joninarebekka/th...d-f7ba23855a82

Disney needs to sue these QAnon asss into the ground.
                      This was plain as day a hit piece by an alt right hit squad
                      considering the timeing of the leak was around the finale
                      merg talkes with disney .And Gunn is anti-trump
                      Last edited by Zohak; 05 August 2018, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Dave Bautista is really sticking by his guns on this (pun totally intended).

Twitter user @eliaseliot wrote to Bautista:
                        @DaveBautista Love your support for @JamesGunn. Do you have any plans or response if Disney doesn’t reinstate him for GotG3?
                        Bautista, calling out both Cernovich and Disney for paying any attention to Cernovich, replied:
                        I will do what Im legally obligated to do but @Guardians without @JamesGunn is not what I signed up for. GOTG w/o @JamesGunn just isn’t GOTG. Its also pretty nauseating to work for someone who’d empower a smear campaign by fascists #cybernazis . That’s just how I feel

And he doubled down again today:
                        Where I’m at right now is that if [Marvel] don’t use that script, then I’m going to ask them to release me from my contract, cut me out or recast me. I’d be doing James a disservice if I didn’t

Comment

...and then they hired him back!

Comment

Working...
                          X