Guardians of the Galaxy (Marvel) - News/Discussion/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ikorni View Post
    I had a rollicking good time there, ever since Quill started dancing to 'Come and Get your Love'. Found myself wanting to jump up and dance to the 70s groove. From then onwards, I loved it all. Great summer movie, if you ask me.
    Exxxxccceeelllent. Yes, the more I thought about it afterwards, the more I thought that it's so hard to fault - it knows what it is and doesn't pretend to be anything else and it's fun, fun, fun from start to finish!

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
    It's times like that i really wish i had some ADND like spells at my finger tips.. such as a silence spell to put on those kids!
    Where's that Loki when you need him? Lesson: always bring Loki to the cinema.
    sigpic
    sig by Jper

"It's just a little airborne... It's still good, it's still good!"

Comment

Originally posted by Starship Trooper View Post
      it's fun, fun, fun from start to finish!

I think that sums it up. If I get a chance I think I'll see it a 3rd time.

Comment

Saw it a third time. Really surprised how fast it seemed to go by. I still really enjoyed it despite the fact it just seemed to fly by this time. And I really hope people are getting embarrassed when they bring small children to see this and find out the talking raccoon is a foul-mouthed talking raccoon. The sad part is that there are people who are not embarrassed about it. They don't care that their children see a movie that has content small children shouldn't see because they want to see the movie.

Comment

I loved it too. I like that fact that it holds up afterward when you think about it and discuss it. In some ways it even gets better.

I agree that it's not really for small children because there is some swearing in there that I haven't even seen in other Marvel films, but I guess that's because of the kind of character Rocket Raccoon is (and the others too). I can understand why children younger than 13 would want to go. The tree (Groot) and the raccoon are very appealing to children. From the look of some of the promotional stuff one might even think they are there for the kids. But the rating for the film is clearly PG-13, so there is that.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Lady Blue View Post
            I loved it too. I like that fact that it holds up afterward when you think about it and discuss it. In some ways it even gets better.

I agree that it's not really for small children because there is some swearing in there that I haven't even seen in other Marvel films, but I guess that's because of the kind of character Rocket Raccoon is (and the others too). I can understand why children younger than 13 would want to go. The tree (Groot) and the raccoon are very appealing to children. From the look of some of the promotional stuff one might even think they are there for the kids. But the rating for the film is clearly PG-13, so there is that.
            Yes that is one of the big things. It is Disney and they are totally marketing it to children and small children despite the fact that it is not for children under 13.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
              Yes that is one of the big things. It is Disney and they are totally marketing it to children and small children despite the fact that it is not for children under 13.
              Well, it's PG-13, which means parental guidance advised for 13 and under. PG-13 does not mean not for children under 13. I would've been watching much higher rated films from a much younger age than 13 (the pros and cons of older siblings). For example, I saw both Terminator and Terminator 2 at the age of 10 (to name but a few R rated and NC-17 films I'd seen before I'd even hit my teens). It's completely dependent on the child. I would've been very upset if I was under 13 and told I couldn't see Guardians, especially since I'd been collecting comics from that age. There are an awful lot of 11-16 year olds who are into comics who would want to see it because they love Marvel (and comics in general). And if they're already collecting comics, then the content of Guardians is not going to disturb them or go over their heads.
              sigpic
              sig by Jper

Comment

Yes, but I would say children under eleven should not see this film. And I only mean certain children who are eleven and their parents are taking them because they think they can handle it, not because the parents want to see the movie themselves. I have seen adults bring children as young as four to this movie and that is just not right. There is too much language and far too much violence. If I child is under ten then parents shouldn't be allowed to bring that child into a PG-13 movie. If they want to show them movies like that at home then that is their problem and mistake. When they bring them to a public forum and make me sit there while they are making that mistake then I have to take issue. I don't care if kids can see worse stuff on TV or whatever. Just because a kid can be exposed to this stuff easily doesn't make it right to intentionally expose them to this stuff. Yes I see Starship Troopers' point that there are plenty of kids between eleven and sixteen who should be allowed to see this movie, but when you go younger than that they should not. I have a friend who has an eleven year old daughter. If he wanted to take his daughter I would have absolutely no problem with that. Now that same friend has a fifteen year old son. If he had wanted to take his son when he was eleven, or even now when he is fifteen , I might have had a problem with it because I know the kid. He definitely did not, and does not currently, need to see violent media. So it depends on the kid when you are talking about kids around the age of thirteen and a PG-13 movie. (Soap Box pushed aside . . . for now. )

Comment

I think any of the PG ratings are a bit 'wishy-washy' anyway, in that it's a convenient way of lumping in a broad range of content that falls in a bit of a grey area. I won't even begin listing films with a PG-13 rating that have much more violent and adult content than Guardians as there are many.

Yes, some parents get it hopelessly wrong (I agree with you in not seeing what a four-year-old could possibly get from Guardians), but at the same time it is the parents responsibility and not the certification authority. At least with a PG-13 you know kids under 13 aren't going into the cinemas without adult supervision. That's something at least. And I kind of like that it's something that parents are meant to take responsibility for - that you don't have 'nanny state' dictating absolutely every little thing when it comes to raising your children.

Meh. Anyway. I suppose I just think of my young self, so into comics and fantasy films, and think about how upset I would be if I had to wait for the DVD release before being able to watch the film simply because some certificate authority decided they knew what I could handle better than my own parents (who weren't irresponsible about that sort of thing, despite how it may sound). I think the majority of parents will get it right, while there will always be some who are selfish about it and go for themselves without thinking of their kids. I just don't think the minority should ruin it for the majority.
                  sigpic
                  sig by Jper

Comment

Back when i lived in the UK, theaters actually DID adhere to those ratings, with asking parents about their kids they took in. These days i have not even been asked to show proof of age to enter an R rated flick.. Neither have i seen a kid being asked.

Comment

Ultimately, I think it's up to parents to know what is best for their child. Ratings are only there to help parents make the appropriate choices, but a ratings system can't do the work for them. I'm just happy that it was a great film.

I am Groot.

sigpic

Comment

I saw the movie...Twice.

******* was it a good movie. Out of the Phase 2 movies (Ironman 3, Thor 2, Captain 2, and this) it is now tied with Captain America 2 as my favorite.
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm wondering though, how would Guardians fit into the MCU canon? Yes, I know Thanos is in it (along with the collector and all), I'm curious to know how Star Lord and Gamora might return...and in what capacity.
                          Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

I'm wondering though, how would Guardians fit into the MCU canon? Yes, I know Thanos is in it (along with the collector and all), I'm curious to know how Star Lord and Gamora might return...and in what capacity.
                            Well, they've confirmed a second Guardians film. In my opinion it's likely that the Guardians will team up with the Avengers in the final face-off with Thanos sometime after the second film. There is cross-over between the Avengers and Guardians in the comics. In fact, Iron Man joined the original Guardians team in the comic back in the 60s.
                            sigpic
                            sig by Jper

Comment

Ah, didn't know there was going to be a guardians sequel. Seems like Marvel's happily on board with sequels and trilogies. Oh well, the audience is lapping it up greedily anyhow!
                              Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Ah, didn't know there was going to be a guardians sequel. Seems like Marvel's happily on board with sequels and trilogies. Oh well, the audience is lapping it up greedily anyhow!
                                They were waiting to see how well this one did before confirming a sequel, but yeah, it's kind of their thing. They're translating their comic-book universe to cinema, and with the epic nature of the story-lines in comics I think sequels are a given.
                                sigpic
                                sig by Jper

Comment

Working...
                                X