Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    First Lieutenant Starship Trooper's Avatar

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (Marvel) - News/Discussion/Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by Looney View Post
    Yes that is one of the big things. It is Disney and they are totally marketing it to children and small children despite the fact that it is not for children under 13.
    Well, it's PG-13, which means parental guidance advised for 13 and under. PG-13 does not mean not for children under 13. I would've been watching much higher rated films from a much younger age than 13 (the pros and cons of older siblings). For example, I saw both Terminator and Terminator 2 at the age of 10 (to name but a few R rated and NC-17 films I'd seen before I'd even hit my teens). It's completely dependent on the child. I would've been very upset if I was under 13 and told I couldn't see Guardians, especially since I'd been collecting comics from that age. There are an awful lot of 11-16 year olds who are into comics who would want to see it because they love Marvel (and comics in general). And if they're already collecting comics, then the content of Guardians is not going to disturb them or go over their heads.
    sig by Jper

"It's just a little airborne... It's still good, it's still good!"

Yes, but I would say children under eleven should not see this film. And I only mean certain children who are eleven and their parents are taking them because they think they can handle it, not because the parents want to see the movie themselves. I have seen adults bring children as young as four to this movie and that is just not right. There is too much language and far too much violence. If I child is under ten then parents shouldn't be allowed to bring that child into a PG-13 movie. If they want to show them movies like that at home then that is their problem and mistake. When they bring them to a public forum and make me sit there while they are making that mistake then I have to take issue. I don't care if kids can see worse stuff on TV or whatever. Just because a kid can be exposed to this stuff easily doesn't make it right to intentionally expose them to this stuff. Yes I see Starship Troopers' point that there are plenty of kids between eleven and sixteen who should be allowed to see this movie, but when you go younger than that they should not. I have a friend who has an eleven year old daughter. If he wanted to take his daughter I would have absolutely no problem with that. Now that same friend has a fifteen year old son. If he had wanted to take his son when he was eleven, or even now when he is fifteen , I might have had a problem with it because I know the kid. He definitely did not, and does not currently, need to see violent media. So it depends on the kid when you are talking about kids around the age of thirteen and a PG-13 movie. (Soap Box pushed aside . . . for now. )

I think any of the PG ratings are a bit 'wishy-washy' anyway, in that it's a convenient way of lumping in a broad range of content that falls in a bit of a grey area. I won't even begin listing films with a PG-13 rating that have much more violent and adult content than Guardians as there are many.

Yes, some parents get it hopelessly wrong (I agree with you in not seeing what a four-year-old could possibly get from Guardians), but at the same time it is the parents responsibility and not the certification authority. At least with a PG-13 you know kids under 13 aren't going into the cinemas without adult supervision. That's something at least. And I kind of like that it's something that parents are meant to take responsibility for - that you don't have 'nanny state' dictating absolutely every little thing when it comes to raising your children.

Meh. Anyway. I suppose I just think of my young self, so into comics and fantasy films, and think about how upset I would be if I had to wait for the DVD release before being able to watch the film simply because some certificate authority decided they knew what I could handle better than my own parents (who weren't irresponsible about that sort of thing, despite how it may sound). I think the majority of parents will get it right, while there will always be some who are selfish about it and go for themselves without thinking of their kids. I just don't think the minority should ruin it for the majority.
    sig by Jper

Major General

Back when i lived in the UK, theaters actually DID adhere to those ratings, with asking parents about their kids they took in. These days i have not even been asked to show proof of age to enter an R rated flick.. Neither have i seen a kid being asked.

Ultimately, I think it's up to parents to know what is best for their child. Ratings are only there to help parents make the appropriate choices, but a ratings system can't do the work for them. I'm just happy that it was a great film.

I am Groot.

I saw the movie...Twice.

******* was it a good movie. Out of the Phase 2 movies (Ironman 3, Thor 2, Captain 2, and this) it is now tied with Captain America 2 as my favorite.

I'm wondering though, how would Guardians fit into the MCU canon? Yes, I know Thanos is in it (along with the collector and all), I'm curious to know how Star Lord and Gamora might return...and in what capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikorni View Post
    I'm wondering though, how would Guardians fit into the MCU canon? Yes, I know Thanos is in it (along with the collector and all), I'm curious to know how Star Lord and Gamora might return...and in what capacity.
    Well, they've confirmed a second Guardians film. In my opinion it's likely that the Guardians will team up with the Avengers in the final face-off with Thanos sometime after the second film. There is cross-over between the Avengers and Guardians in the comics. In fact, Iron Man joined the original Guardians team in the comic back in the 60s.
    sig by Jper

Ah, didn't know there was going to be a guardians sequel. Seems like Marvel's happily on board with sequels and trilogies. Oh well, the audience is lapping it up greedily anyhow!

Quote Originally Posted by Ikorni View Post
    Ah, didn't know there was going to be a guardians sequel. Seems like Marvel's happily on board with sequels and trilogies. Oh well, the audience is lapping it up greedily anyhow!
    They were waiting to see how well this one did before confirming a sequel, but yeah, it's kind of their thing. They're translating their comic-book universe to cinema, and with the epic nature of the story-lines in comics I think sequels are a given.
    sig by Jper

Quote Originally Posted by Starship Trooper View Post
    Well, they've confirmed a second Guardians film. In my opinion it's likely that the Guardians will team up with the Avengers in the final face-off with Thanos sometime after the second film. There is cross-over between the Avengers and Guardians in the comics. In fact, Iron Man joined the original Guardians team in the comic back in the 60s.
    He did in the most recent run that started a year or so ago too.

Probably the Best comic book movie yet
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

Quote Originally Posted by Starship Trooper View Post
    They were waiting to see how well this one did before confirming a sequel, but yeah, it's kind of their thing. They're translating their comic-book universe to cinema, and with the epic nature of the story-lines in comics I think sequels are a given.
    Marvel's Phase 3?

Major General

Finally caught this movie (from redbox). Not as good as i thought it would be from all the reviews i have heard. All the comedy and musical 'interludes' almost made me think the National lampoons had gotten a hold of it.
    I gave it a 3 out of 5 stars..
    One thing i would have liked to see.. Maybe a clip or two on earth, showing his family having to deal with not only his mother's death, but him disappearing!

James Gunn plays down expectations of Guardians/Avengers crossovers

Stop Expecting Guardians Of The Galaxy And Avengers To Cross Over

As more Marvel movies are released, the Marvel Cinematic Universe is moving closer to the climactic battle with Thanos in the Avengers: Infinity War films. Many fans have suspected that his could mean a team-up between Earth’s Mightiest Heroes and the Guardians of the Galaxy. After all, Thanos did pop up in James Gunn's film this summer, and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is being released about a year before the first half of the Infinity War two-parter. That being said, the Guardians of the Galaxy director continues to make it clear that just because his ragtag group of heroes exist in the MCU doesn’t mean that we should expect a crossover with what's going down on Earth.

Asking a question about the apparent darker tone in Joss Whedon's upcoming The Avengers: Age of Ultron, Screen Junkies recently asked Gunn whether Guardians of the Galaxy 2 would experience a similar transition. The director responded by basically drawing a line between the two franchises. Said Gunn:
    We really are separate from the Avengers, and I don't think people should assume too many things about the Guardians play in all this, because we have our own galaxy to take care of. We have our own galaxy to save. Earth is the Avengers’ province. Thinking that everything is going to come together in a perfect way is not necessarily the way it's going to happen.
    This isn’t the first time Gunn has taken this stance. Last month, Gunn stated that the Guardians aren't "subservient" to what happens in Infinity War films, and that Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is primarily meant to move the cosmic movies forward. I understand Gunn’s reasoning. Earth is only a minuscule part of the entire universe, and the cosmic side of the MCU is not only gigantic but filled with its own problems and dramas. Despite threats like Loki and Ultron, the Avengers can handle keeping Earth safe, while Star-Lord and his team of misfits are traveling to multiple planets to help others while causing a little trouble on the side.

Here’s the main issue that arrives with James Gunn's most recent comments: Thanos is a universal threat. It's true that the Mad Titan may head to Earth after seizing all of the Infinity Stones and sticking them in the Infinity Gauntlet, but as the original 1991 Infinity Gauntlet comic story showed, if he obtains all that power, then the whole universe is screwed. One would think that the Guardians would travel to Earth to assist taking him down, even if it’s only in the last half of Infinity War Part 2. Furthermore, Marvel Studios has shown that try to allow their directors work largely unimpeded (unless you’re Edgar Wright), but they still want that degree of connectivity intact. It’s possible the Marvel execs will eventually change Gunn's perspective and eventually have him work with the Infinity War director to include the Guardians in a way that makes sense for the narrative. On the other hand, they could also just respect Gunn's ideas and leave his protagonists to their own adventures.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Finally caught this movie (from redbox). Not as good as i thought it would be from all the reviews i have heard. All the comedy and musical 'interludes' almost made me think the National lampoons had gotten a hold of it.
    I gave it a 3 out of 5 stars..
    One thing i would have liked to see.. Maybe a clip or two on earth, showing his family having to deal with not only his mother's death, but him disappearing!
    The musical interludes were one of the best parts! Damn good soundtrack.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    The musical interludes were one of the best parts! Damn good soundtrack.
    Yeah, I thought so too. Great retro vibe that I got from all of it. Listening to the songs in sound surround made the experience near surreal.

Chief Master Sergeant RunnerRonon's Avatar

I read some of the trivia on IMDB, and I was shocked when I saw Jason Momoa, David Tennant, Jensen Ackles and Jim Carrey were considered for this movie! I don't know if it would've been better or worse with these actors replacing some of the current cast, but it would've been interesting to say the least.

well I finally saw guardians of the galaxy, and it was G R E A T!!!!!, I just loved it, but while I was watching it , there was one person that I just could not put my finger on, he looked so familiar, but who is he, then it hit me, OH MY GOD , THAT'S MERL, yep it was our ole buddy merl, yes, I was a little slow on the up take there, but I was more interested in the movie than the individual actors, but once I saw him, all I could see was merl in blue makeup and even worse teeth than he had before, and some thing on top of his head.

Quote Originally Posted by epg20 View Post
    well I finally saw guardians of the galaxy, and it was G R E A T!!!!!, I just loved it, but while I was watching it , there was one person that I just could not put my finger on, he looked so familiar, but who is he, then it hit me, OH MY GOD , THAT'S MERL, yep it was our ole buddy merl, yes, I was a little slow on the up take there, but I was more interested in the movie than the individual actors, but once I saw him, all I could see was merl in blue makeup and even worse teeth than he had before, and some thing on top of his head.
    Nathan Fillion is in there too if you can spot him.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.