BBC's Sherlock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC's Sherlock

Did anyone else watch this on Sunday? I did, and I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. At first I was put off... I mean, a modern reimagining of Sherlock Holmes so soon after the movie just seemed like such a cash in, but after finding out who was involved (Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss of Dr Who) it actually peaked my interest. I think the characters are great, the setting actually works and the direction was wonderful (I loved how the words appeared on screen for text messages and so forth). I am definately looking forward to watching the other two episode/film/parts, and if they decide to make a series after that.

My one problem with the first episode was at the end
    Spoiler:
    when the cabbie was saying how he takes people to a place, says something to them and makes them kill themselves. It was disappointing to find out that all he said was essentially 'Kill yourself or I'll shoot you in the face'.

Yeah I watched it and I was instantly a huge fan of Holmes and Watson. They are very much what you'd expect from both characters no matter what period they're set in and the new modern look of them was perfect. I was especially impressed with how they made Watson an amputee. That just made good sense. Really looking forward to the next one.

On a bit of a side note it was reported on one of the Doctor Who websites that they asked the new Holmes that after working with Moffat would he perhaps be interested in working on an eppy of Doctor Who. To which he replied he wouldn't......and then implied that if he did he would be aiming for being the Doctor himself. Or at least more than just a one off appearence.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I watched it on the BBC iPlayer as I forgot it was on. I did enjoy it though, which is no surprise as it's like the Who team are doing Dr. Who during one part of the year, and then Sherlock the other.

I do like the modern day settings of the series. When I first heard about it, I was a bit worried it was just trying to use the recent Guy Richie film as a launch pad.

On a bit of a side note it was reported on one of the Doctor Who websites that they asked the new Holmes that after working with Moffat would he perhaps be interested in working on an eppy of Doctor Who. To which he replied he wouldn't......and then implied that if he did he would be aiming for being the Doctor himself. Or at least more than just a one off appearence.
      When I was watching it, I was thinking "I am surprised this guy wasn't picked for Doctor Who" and that he could potentially do the Doctor some day (although it would be a bit of type casting as they are similar characters).

sigpic

Comment

I actually really liked it - and I am a bit of a purist when it comes to my Sherlock Holmes (have read all the stories and consider Jeremy Brett to be *the* finest Holmes to date). I recently watched the Guy Richie movie and didn't like it at all. It was okay as an action adventure movie but Sherlock Holmes it was NOT. The characters' behaviour was completely out of context much of the time and some massive changes to canon were made (particularly with regard to Irene Adler, who was NOT a criminal and who was never in any way romantically involved with Holmes!!!).

This reinvention by the Beeb however was great - it stayed true to the original source material in terms of the characters and their motives and characterisations, but placed them in a modern setting and made changes necessary to allow for that... but in a way that made sense. (I loved a "three pipe problem" becoming a "three patch problem"! )

The only slight issue I have with it is that I worked out it was the cabbie long before Holmes did... and that shouldn't really happen with a Holmes story.

Btw, was I the only one channelling The Princess Bride during Holmes' showdown with the cabbie? To the point that I was even wondering (they never really made it clear) whether the cabbie's real gimmick was that both the pills were poison but he'd already taken an antidote.

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
        I was especially impressed with how they made Watson an amputee. That just made good sense. Really looking forward to the next one.
        Umm. He wasn't an amputee? He'd been wounded and had some nerve damage I think but his therapist thought his remaining symptoms were mostly psychosomatic (as Holmes ended up proving).
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
          The only slight issue I have with it is that I worked out it was the cabbie long before Holmes did... and that shouldn't really happen with a Holmes story.
          I think that was a problem. The way they shot it, they were both thinking 'hmmm... who do people trust as soon as they meet them', followed by them looking at a taxi, I reckon I wasn't the only one who thought at that point 'aha! It's a cab driver! So simple!!'.

Oh yes, and the shots of 'Afghanistan' at the very beginning, looking more like the park down the road from where I live.

Comment

Yep, very pleasantly surprised, but with Moffat involved, I was pretty sure it would end up being good. I found the modern retelling really works with Holmes, because as at least one article said, it strips away the distractions of the period drama and Victoriana and just leaves the characters and the deduction - the essence of Sherlock Holmes. Good cast, good script, loved how Holmes deductive reasoning is depicted, and can't wait for next weeks.
            And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
            sigpic
            Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

I watched it last night and I thought it was pretty good, I was concerned with bringing Holmes up to date but it was done in a clever way. I think a second season has already been given the go ahead, but I hope they have more than three episodes like the first season does. If they keep the quality high it will certainly be worth watching.

Comment

The Only Reason i would check this out is because of Moffatt, atm im intrigued but it doesnt interest me enough to watch it, maybe if survives past season 1 ill check it out
                Last Movie Watched
                X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                Life is Strange

Comment

Was a very good show an bbc once again put the rest of the TV channels to shame.

Anyone else seen this.

http://www.thescienceofdeduction.co.uk/casefiles

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                    Was a very good show an bbc once again put the rest of the TV channels to shame.

Anyone else seen this.

http://www.thescienceofdeduction.co.uk/casefiles
                    Heh. Cool. There's a blog site for Dr Watson too - http://www.johnwatsonblog.co.uk/
                    sigpic

Comment

Updated Sherlock 'will be back'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-10925753

The BBC's modern update of Sherlock Holmes will return following the end of its initial three-episode run, its producers have confirmed.

"There will be more," producer Sue Vertue told the BBC's Breakfast programme. "We're having a meeting to talk about how many and when."

Starring Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes and Martin Freeman as Watson, Sherlock has been a ratings hit for BBC One.

More than seven million people tuned in to see Sunday's dramatic cliffhanger.

Based on stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the 90-minute specials were written by Mark Gatiss, Stephen Thompson and Steven Moffat.

Moffat - lead writer and executive producer on Doctor Who - said there would "definitely" be more instalments in the future.

"Steven and Mark are very busy - Steven is obviously doing Doctor Who as well - so it's just when we're going to do them," said Vertue.

Moffat, her husband, also confirmed that any future instalments would remain 90 minutes long.

Comment

I thought it was brilliant, despite the clone Dr. Who as Sherlock, it's still great. And Moriarty was a bit disappointing despite the intellect of the man. Watson's great, remember him from the Office.

Comment

Okay, all three were brilliant. First was Moffat-tastic, second was fun in its own way, and the third was just... awesome. Moriarty was hammy goodness. I approve.
                          ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010...ond-series-bbc

Sherlock to return for second series
                            BBC will make more episodes of drama Sherlock starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, producer confirms

I am presonnally glad it returning. I want to see how the final episode turns out, an how the battle with Moriarty who I thought was great. A consulting criminal. I hope they create a website for him in the future if there is not one already, have not check.
                            Last edited by knowles2; 10 August 2010, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Sorry guess I'll put some of the plot in spoilers if some people haven't seen it yet.

Spoiler:
                              Yea, the cab dude was predictable and lame. Thought his spiel was going to be more than pick a pill or I keel you. Really hate all the texty phone crap he does, was hoping he'd be sorta old fashioned taking on the modern world and besting it. The not knowing the solar system thing was freakin hilarious. Wow, Watson's a great marksman.

Guess I'm the only one that really didn't like Moriarty too much. Eh, think that plot was a little too fast and should have been more of a epic large plotarc. Still, this is an awesome show. Just hope Moriarty storyline isn't wrapped up quickly.

Comment

Working...
                              X