Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Destiny go out of range of even an icarus planet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could Destiny go out of range of even an icarus planet?

I was thinking about this, and obviously the ancients didn't design Destiny to be flying around for millions of years and require a planets destruction to dial to, so I think we can all agree that as Destinys distance from Earth increases, so does the power required to dial it... That basically not all 9 chevron addresses require the same amount of power, Destiny requires so much because of its huge distance.. I can't recall it ever been stated in the show, but I think we can all agree on it??

As we've seen the ships FTL engines are capable of some pretty impressive speeds, so will the ship one day be out of distance of even an icarus planet?

Obviously this won't become an issue if they turn the ship around, but that hasn't happened yet, and could be months before they do...
    I dunno what to put in here now..

I doubt it... other wise the Ancients may never have been able to get there, that would be a bad design.. maybe there's some mechanism similar to the Carter-McKay bridge?

Comment

Originally posted by Inquisitor View Post
      I doubt it... other wise the Ancients may never have been able to get there, that would be a bad design.. maybe there's some mechanism similar to the Carter-McKay bridge?
      Well when you take into account that the ancients never intended it to travel as far as it has.. the ship is falling apart and its way way way past its sellby date, possible tens of millions of years past its sellby date... thats a huge amount of distance, and thus a huge increase in power required to dial

Its not really a design issue, like I said the ship was never intended to travel this far.. plus I said outta range of an icarus planet, not outta range of some power source the ancients coulda whipped up
      Last edited by Puddle-Jumper; 14 July 2010, 07:30 PM.

Comment

anything is possible...

Comment

seems plausible to me that it could one day reach a distance out of reach of an icarus planet. however, depending how desperate you get, maybe the SGC could whip up a new version of the subspace power system that Rodney and his sister had working in SGA that had side-effects in alternate universes. I would assume that that would give you enough power to do it and reasonably safely on your own side. If i remember correctly, didn't Rodney say at some point that this machine would make zpm's look like duracells or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
            As we've seen the ships FTL engines are capable of some pretty impressive speeds, so will the ship one day be out of distance of even an icarus planet?

Obviously this won't become an issue if they turn the ship around, but that hasn't happened yet, and could be months before they do...
            Honestly, I'd say it would be at least another few thousand years. As you have noted, it has been traveling for millions of years, so another few hundred or thousand years are barely going to have any effect on its distance at all, at least compared to its current distance. Thus, any increase in power/energy consumption over the next few thousand years should be negligible compared to the current power/energy consumption.

That said, it is almost certain that, if the ship keeps traveling for long enough, it will eventually require more power to reach than can be provided by an Icarus-type planet.
            "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
            - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
            - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
            - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

I was thinking about this, and obviously the ancients didn't design Destiny to be flying around for millions of years and require a planets destruction to dial to, so I think we can all agree that as Destinys distance from Earth increases, so does the power required to dial it... That basically not all 9 chevron addresses require the same amount of power, Destiny requires so much because of its huge distance.. I can't recall it ever been stated in the show, but I think we can all agree on it??

I'd love to see that! It would also put them out of the range of Earth, of "home" forever. It'd be great if they went so far that even the stones wouldn't work anymore Earth would maybe decide to cut their losses?

Originally posted by Inquisitor View Post
              The Ancients intended to board much, much earlier, and learned to acsend before then, essentially dropping/forgetting about the project, so it's not bad design at all; the Ancients just found a way to ascend before then...which makes the whole question of the Destiny pretty interesting in its own right, doesn't it?
              sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Well when you take into account that the ancients never intended it to travel as far as it has.. the ship is falling apart and its way way way past its sellby date, possible tens of millions of years past its sellby date... thats a huge amount of distance, and thus a huge increase in power required to dial

Its not really a design issue, like I said the ship was never intended to travel this far.. plus I said outta range of an icarus planet, not outta range of some power source the ancients coulda whipped up
                Actually it has come to our attention that the Destiny is going "somewhere" (if what i heard was true), so it probably was designed to travel this far out and the bad sellby state is do to the maintenance being a little late this last million years.

So it will come one day when the Destiny will be out of reach even for an icarus planet. But that day is still in the distant future. Of course not a problem for the ancients, they just snap their finger and they have an capable power source like always.
                sigpic
                - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

eventually its going to require a star to explode to get to Destiny

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                    Honestly, I'd say it would be at least another few thousand years. As you have noted, it has been traveling for millions of years, so another few hundred or thousand years are barely going to have any effect on its distance at all, at least compared to its current distance. Thus, any increase in power/energy consumption over the next few thousand years should be negligible compared to the current power/energy consumption.
                    Ya I was thinking about that alright and I agree... though if an icarus planet was smaller.. and again given that from what we've seen the wormhole to Destiny seems to be pretty unstable, radio signals not travelling both ways, people flying though etc so its possible thats its pretty close to the end of the range...

Originally posted by Steelbox View Post
                    Actually it has come to our attention that the Destiny is going "somewhere" (if what i heard was true), so it probably was designed to travel this far out and the bad sellby state is do to the maintenance being a little late this last million years.
                    It doesn't make any sense at all that the ancients would send Destiny on a mission that would last upwards of 10 million years, like their civilisation probably wasn't even that old when Destiny was built... which is why I hope tptb that have some pretty creative ideas in mind to explain why it appears that Destiny has been sent on a 10 million years + mission

Comment

Originally posted by themeatcleaver View Post
                      seems plausible to me that it could one day reach a distance out of reach of an icarus planet. however, depending how desperate you get, maybe the SGC could whip up a new version of the subspace power system that Rodney and his sister had working in SGA that had side-effects in alternate universes. I would assume that that would give you enough power to do it and reasonably safely on your own side. If i remember correctly, didn't Rodney say at some point that this machine would make zpm's look like duracells or something?
                      I believe there was the problem of exotic particles being crerated and thearing the universe apart.

Comment

Ya I was thinking about that alright and I agree... though if an icarus planet was smaller.. and again given that from what we've seen the wormhole to Destiny seems to be pretty unstable, radio signals not travelling both ways, people flying though etc so its possible thats its pretty close to the end of the range...
                        Except that, again, it seems very unlikely that any amount of travel that could be achieved in a human lifetime (or even many human lifetimes) will make much of a difference, given the Destiny's age. The instability of the wormhole is likely no exception - something that becomes increasingly severe over distance, not a problem that spontaneously appears at 578,659,138.223 light-years.

Indeed, the instability of the wormhole may have more to do with the instability of the power supply than the Destiny's distance.

It doesn't make any sense at all that the ancients would send Destiny on a mission that would last upwards of 10 million years, like their civilisation probably wasn't even that old when Destiny was built... which is why I hope tptb that have some pretty creative ideas in mind to explain why it appears that Destiny has been sent on a 10 million years + mission
                        Well, we have no idea how old the Altera/Ori civilization was when the Altera departed for the Milky Way. For all we know, known Ancient history could represent just one in a series of boom/bust cycles.

Moreover, we have no idea how long ago the Altera left their home galaxy, nor how long it took them to develop the Destiny-style Stargates, nor how long it took them to refine the Destiny-style Stargates into the contemporary Milky Way Stargates. For all we know, the Ancients could have been in the Milky Way for hundreds of millions of years before launching the Destiny.
                        "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."

Comment

Destiny was designed to reach a specific point in space which means that the ancients would have worked out how long it was going to take to get there based on its maximum speed and calculating for 12 hour stops. This means they new the range and they would have worked out the power required to get there. So No i do not think that the destiny will ever get out of range considering the the average time for a series is roughly five or six years. five or six years travel isn't going to make that much of a difference.
                          Also just because the destiny is several billion light years away doesn't mean that it is that old factoring in that it has been doing most of it's travell at faster that light and taking into account relativity. remember the "Return" in SGA. they go into the specifics a little bit.

Comment

relativity doesn't come into play.

icarus planet? depends in the amount of naquahdriah available. although i believe the current definition of icarus planet is "any planet with a naquahdriah core capable of dialling destiny"

Comment

Originally posted by morsu View Post
                              Destiny was designed to reach a specific point in space which means that the ancients would have worked out how long it was going to take to get there based on its maximum speed and calculating for 12 hour stops. This means they new the range and they would have worked out the power required to get there.
                              Except that there is no reason to think that Icarus-type planets are "Ancient approved" power supplies. For all we know, they had a specific power supply in mind for 'Gating to Destiny when it reached its destination - one with a superior output to Icarus-type planets.

In fact, from what we have learned so far, the Ancients intended to board the Destiny far, far earlier in its journey. In other words, the Ancients may never have intended to try to reach the Destiny once it got out as far as it had, because the intended crew would already be aboard.

So No i do not think that the destiny will ever get out of range considering the the average time for a series is roughly five or six years. five or six years travel isn't going to make that much of a difference.
                              True.

Also just because the destiny is several billion light years away doesn't mean that it is that old factoring in that it has been doing most of it's travell at faster that light and taking into account relativity. remember the "Return" in SGA. they go into the specifics a little bit.
                              The ship in "The Return" was traveling slower than light. Indeed, Special Relativity does not make meaningful predictions when relative speeds exceed the speed of light.

Moreover, the communication stones show that there is no significant time dilation between the Destiny and Earth.

Comment

Working...
                              X