This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Stargate Fan wondering if SGU is up to par

I have always been a scifi fan. However, after Stargate SG-1 ended I watched Atlantis sporadically and wound up watching most of the last season over the net. I thought it was pretty good, but that the writers were getting stale.

I heard about SGU, but I never got to watch it. I was wondering if it is a good watch. I mean I know there seems to be a ton of people talking about it, but is it on the level of SG-1 from season 2-6? Or is it more like season 8-10?
    Dr. Andrew Clarke

Aftermath GW RP

They're apples and oranges. The stories are way different. It's alot more realistic, concentrates way more on character relations and emotions. It's also surprisingly rewatchable. It DOES have aliens, it DOES have General O'Neill(two L's), Carter, and Daniel. It DOES have pyramids and death gliders. It's a great show so start watching!

Comment

It's dark. Defiantly not your fathers stargate. but it's good.

Comment

Its more serialised and more of a character drama than SG-1 & SGA were. Its first half of season 1 was rather slow paced but it picks up a lot in the 2nd half. My advice when watching it is to not compare it to Atlantis or SG-1 as its feel and use of storytelling is rather different.

Comment

It's really something you can only decide for yourself. I watched all of SG1 and SGA and loved them both, and I also have thoroughly enjoyed SGU so far and look forward to the possibilities that season 2 will hopefully bring.

It depends on a lot of things, really, and nobody can answer this for you even if they highlight all the different characteristics of the show. Watch the "Air" 3-parter and see how you feel, and always remember: you surely didn't love every single episode of SG1, and there's certainly some in the entire 1st season SGU stretch that might fit this bill for some people. That said, it ends on a pretty high-note imo.

Hope that helps a bit.
          Sig by Pandora's Box
          sigpic

Comment

Think of it more like voyager. Without the resources or established command structure. Sort of Atlantis meets Lost in Space. If you're into that Daniel Boone type thing versus Kiss on tour, you might like it. Sort of Land of the Lost in space. Other than the gadgets, you really can't compare it much to previous gate series.

Comment

SGu is awesome
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

SGU is awesome. Of the Trek franchise, I liked Voyager the best, so I guess I'm biased. I don't much care for many of the female roles on SGU though. They're just kind of there for show. Maybe in season 2 with Kiva. But almost all of the female roles can be categorized as either nurse, secretary, or victim. With only 2, now 3 notable exceptions. At least those ON the ship.

Comment

think BSG whit a stargate theme that is SGU

Comment

Originally posted by MajorWoods View Post
                    I have always been a scifi fan. However, after Stargate SG-1 ended I watched Atlantis sporadically and wound up watching most of the last season over the net. I thought it was pretty good, but that the writers were getting stale.

I heard about SGU, but I never got to watch it. I was wondering if it is a good watch. I mean I know there seems to be a ton of people talking about it, but is it on the level of SG-1 from season 2-6? Or is it more like season 8-10?
                    You sound like me, more or less. I loved SG-1 from the 1994 film to Continuum--though it got more than a bit patchy from season 6-9--and was enormously dissatisfied with Atlantis.

SGU, on the other hand, I absolutely love.
                    Last edited by DigiFluid; 08 July 2010, 09:25 PM.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      You sound like me, more or less. I loved SG-1 from the 1994 film to Continuum--though it got more than a bit patchy from season 6-9--and was enormously dissatisfied with Atlantis.

SGU, on the other hand, I absolutely love.
                      Similar for me, loved SG-1, thought it got patchy at season 7 and got good again at Ori arc, wasn't thrilled with a lot of things about Atlantis and felt the comedy saved it.

However I'm not loving SGU, its a big deviation from what Stargate has been until now which isn't reason not to like the show in and of itself but there is a stubborn part of me that punishes it for that reason. Part is also because of the style of the show, I don't think character drama is at all suited to the scifi genre nor to the dark end of the television mood spectrum. Also I think the writing in the first half of the season was pretty poor at times and as a result the show proceeded at a plodding pace.

That said, the second half of the first season has been much better, we've seen more complex storylines, more action, more intrigue and more room for optimism on the future of SGU.

I'll personally be making by decision of whether to stick with the show after the first half of season 2, I'm hoping to see further improvement but if happens to be of similar tone and quality as the second half of season 1 I'll keep watching if a little begrudgingly.

Comment

Probably not. Old Stargate fans have more of a chance statistically to be 'disappointed' with the show than anyone else. Case in point, my findings since last October.
                        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Well its not at all like SG-1 nor SGA. Its darker, edgier and focuses on character relations. Its not as episodic as the previous 2 either. If you're looking for that light and humorous aspects that made SG-1, you won't find them here. With that said, its a great show.

As I always say, give it a go by watching the 3 episode premiere, you have nothing to lose.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                            Probably not. Old Stargate fans have more of a chance statistically to be 'disappointed' with the show than anyone else. Case in point, my findings since last October.
                            Quite true, its polar opposite of SG-1, light-heartedness has been replaced with darkness, humor has almost disappeared, the amount of action and aliens have been cut significently and the story depth and detail has been decimated to make way for character drama.

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
                              Quite true, its polar opposite of SG-1, light-heartedness has been replaced with darkness, humor has almost disappeared, the amount of action and aliens have been cut significantly and the story depth and detail has been decimated to make way for character drama.
                              Hence the 'son I am disappoint' reactions. Though I wouldn't mind meeting someone who hates SGU for its own values instead of comparing it to the previous SG's.
                              ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Working...
                              X