No announcement yet.

Atomic Weight of Naquadah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well i would have to say that the reason naq is no longer here on eath is the fact that if naq has a higher atomic weight then the rate of decay wouldnt allow any more to naturally form after the amount was used up that came from the big bang. so if we nedd to prove that naq was possible the hadron collider would be the only way to prove it sort of going out of our solar system.

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28 View Post
      Well, I'm a bit of a johnny come-lately to this thread, but here goes.

First, while naquadria can be derived from naquada, I THINK that it's been stated by Carter or someone as being another element. If that's the case, it's likely that it's derived from Naquada in much the same way as Plutonium is derived from Uranium.

This would especially make sense since you have weapons grade naquada. Using uranium as an example, uranium naturally occurs with different isotopes mixed together. Most of it is plain U-238 with a small amount of U-235 (approximately .7%). To make weapons grade Uranium, you have to seperate the two to increase the percentage of U-235. Weapon's grade uranium is typically about 80-85% U-235. It seems probable that naquada is similar and one of the isotopes is more unstable and thus fissionable.

Trinium is NOT a superheavy element. It's apparently just something the producers pulled out of thin air. It's been stated that it's superlight and superstrong.

Um, crap, I think there was some other stuff too but I forget what now. That's the most of it though.
      Quotes?
      If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
      Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
      If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
      Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by LtNOWIS View Post
        The problem with this system is that you sound stupid sounding out element 111, "unununium."
        That was my favorite element... until they changed it to Roentgenium...

Comment

Originally posted by ArticWarrior View Post
          Well i would have to say that the reason naq is no longer here on eath is the fact that if naq has a higher atomic weight then the rate of decay wouldnt allow any more to naturally form after the amount was used up that came from the big bang. so if we nedd to prove that naq was possible the hadron collider would be the only way to prove it sort of going out of our solar system.
          ummm scientists have theorized that after a certain point on the periodic table of elements (around the # 220) many of the so called super heavies become essentially as stable as those like hydrogen or oxygen and have a very low rate of decay as naquada is still being found on planets and in massive enough quantities the rate of decay would have to be low therefore the atomic # assigned to naquada would have to be somewhere in the mid 200' to the low 300's
          sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

where did you read that?

last time i checked, physicists theorised that about atomic number 174 or so, atoms simply can not exist due to the relativistic effects.

but we don;t really know

Comment

A couple of possible answers to keep the SGU storyline coherent:

1. Theoretically there are more 'islands of stability' in the periodic table. These special 'transuranic' elements exist in theory just not on earth (yet). Naquadah could be among them.

More here:
              https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-of-stability/

And a further 2nd island is theorised:
              https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...-nse031108.php

Some elements are predicted already by the periodic table and can be recreated in a lab, but may also exist in large quantities on other worlds or in stars. These elements may be more stable in larger quantities or in a compound form (ie mineral) but we can't make sufficient quantities to verify this.

Assuming they're potentially incredible energy sources it would follow that you couldn't be able to synthesise these in large enough quantities on earth to be useful - so I guess we should go asteroid/comet mining or check out some of our solar system planets and planetoids.

2. ISTR it was explained in one episode that the Goa'uld had strip mined earth of Naquadah long before serious civilisations evolved so we would never have had the chance to utilise it ourselves without the Stargate program.

Comment

Originally posted by Xajin View Post
                A couple of possible answers to keep the SGU storyline coherent:

1. Theoretically there are more 'islands of stability' in the periodic table. These special 'transuranic' elements exist in theory just not on earth (yet). Naquadah could be among them.

More here:
                https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-of-stability/

And a further 2nd island is theorised:
                https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...-nse031108.php

Some elements are predicted already by the periodic table and can be recreated in a lab, but may also exist in large quantities on other worlds or in stars. These elements may be more stable in larger quantities or in a compound form (ie mineral) but we can't make sufficient quantities to verify this.

Assuming they're potentially incredible energy sources it would follow that you couldn't be able to synthesise these in large enough quantities on earth to be useful - so I guess we should go asteroid/comet mining or check out some of our solar system planets and planetoids.

2. ISTR it was explained in one episode that the Goa'uld had strip mined earth of Naquadah long before serious civilisations evolved so we would never have had the chance to utilise it ourselves without the Stargate program.
                Here's a twist- Oganesson aka as element 118, doesn't have the classic 1950s
                organization of electrons- orbiting a nucleus.

https://physics.aps.org/articles/v11/10

instead, it's a quasi liquid drop of electron-proton-neutron soup.

Guess science fact is weirder than science fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal_S View Post
                  Here's a twist- Oganesson aka as element 118, doesn't have the classic 1950s
                  organization of electrons- orbiting a nucleus.
                  The electrons still orbit the nucleus. In light elements the orbits of are arranged in shell structures with distinct energy levels. Such a shell structure would apparently not exist in Organesson, as the electrons are basically a disorganized cloud around an equally disorganized core. The article suggests this is because so many electrons are undergoing interactions with each other which prevents them from settling into neat shells.

The core has an irregular structure because electrostatic repulsion is so strong, that no real structure can form. Which is also why it wouldn't exist for very long.

Comment

Working...
                  X