Atomic Weight of Naquadah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jarnin
    However, there is a rather large (137km) asteroid floating around out there that was composed of 45% naquadah. With the need for naquadah to build BC-303s ("Enemy Mine"), you'd think they'd have gone out there and mined that rock already.
    Well, aside from the fact that the SGC have sneck-all space mining capability and no spacebound heavy transport vessels, the Tok'ra probably ponced it while they were shuttling SG-1 home.

You can just see the looks of feigned innocence on the Council's faces as they ask: "You lost what? An eighty-five mile asteroid? How careless."
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
      Did we skip Fail Safe in Seaon 5?
      Oh ... right. I've seen it, but it's been a while, and I completely forgot about the Nq on that asteroid. Thanks.
      My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
      -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
      -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
      -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
        Well, aside from the fact that the SGC have sneck-all space mining capability and no spacebound heavy transport vessels, the Tok'ra probably ponced it while they were shuttling SG-1 home.

You can just see the looks of feigned innocence on the Council's faces as they ask: "You lost what? An eighty-five mile asteroid? How careless."
        ::snicker:: Ooh, that's good.

Unfortunately for your theory, we've never seen anything which even hinted that the Tok'ra have any manufacturing capacity of their own. In fact, the frequency with which they must change bases and the small amount of equipment they take with them when they do indicates (to me, at any rate) that they have no manufacturing ability of their own. In which case, what would they do with it?
        My LiveJournal.

-Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
        -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice
          ::snicker:: Ooh, that's good.

Unfortunately for your theory, we've never seen anything which even hinted that the Tok'ra have any manufacturing capacity of their own. In fact, the frequency with which they must change bases and the small amount of equipment they take with them when they do indicates (to me, at any rate) that they have no manufacturing ability of their own. In which case, what would they do with it?
          They have more chance of having - or at least getting - a space miner than Earth does.

Comment

True, they could pick it up lots easier. But then, how do they refine it? How do they take the refined Naquadah and make it into something? Without the facilities to do so, I just don't see it happening. And in an emergency evacuation of the kind the Tok'ra have so frequently, toting a huge asteroid around has got to slow you down, y'know?
            My LiveJournal.

-Frank A. Clark

-Michel de Saint-Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by sparky
              Also, just in case you were interested this web page (http://www.chem.qmul.ac.uk/iupac/AtWt/element.html) about really heavy atomic weights suggests the writers have been in a few chemistry classes. Element 130 is Untrinilium, which sounds familiar to trinium in the show, and element 140 is Unquadnilium which sounds familiar to naquadah. Maybe this means that naquadah is in the 140's as far as atomic numbers are concerned?
              Sorry, all unnamed elements that start with "Un" are named directly from Latin. See, Un means 1, quad means 4, nil means 0. Thus, Un-quad-nil-ium. Same with Untrilium. The problem with this system is that you sound stupid sounding out element 111, "unununium."
              Last edited by LtNOWIS; 17 January 2005, 04:14 PM. Reason: Grammer

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice
                True, they could pick it up lots easier. But then, how do they refine it? How do they take the refined Naquadah and make it into something? Without the facilities to do so, I just don't see it happening. And in an emergency evacuation of the kind the Tok'ra have so frequently, toting a huge asteroid around has got to slow you down, y'know?
                Not if you put an engine on it; park up a few teltacs as temporary living space, slap a Stargate on the back of it and you don't need a planet.

If you'll excuse me, I have to go and make note of a plot bunny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                  Not if you put an engine on it; park up a few teltacs as temporary living space, slap a Stargate on the back of it and you don't need a planet.

If you'll excuse me, I have to go and make note of a plot bunny...
                  Glad I could be of help, Mr. Prophet
                  My LiveJournal.

-Frank A. Clark

-Michel de Saint-Pierre

Comment

I've read that to maintain a stable wormhole you need an anti-gravity material, which is Naquadah. And also the reason we havent got a Stargate yet is because an element like Naquadah hasn't been found yet, or that it doesn't exist.

sigpic
                    Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
                    Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

in upgrades u see 2 jaffa carrying 1 small slap of refined naquadah so i think in realit these are powerfull then all other current resources because to lift an lead bar u also need two men to lift it

Make no Mistake... Osiris will return... and the rivers of the earth wil run red in blood

Comment

Perhaps it is a very cohesive element. As in, if there is a vein on a planet, it is the only location you will find it. And as far as it not making sense that more of it does not replenish itself, perhaps it requires very rare occurances to create the necessary conditions for it to form, such as a supernova.

Maybe when Naquadah is in a solar system during its early formation, it bonds together into an asteroid like cluster and when another body finally reaches a mass heavy enough to attract it, it crashess into the surface forming a localized deposit. It could posses certain properties that increase the likelyhood that it ends up on an Earthlike planet. That's all a half baked notion for sure, but maybe the logic works somehow...

Comment

if that is supposed so we can assume that naquadah is formed in outerspace so we can search it in space rather than on planets

Make no Mistake... Osiris will return... and the rivers of the earth wil run red in blood

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Osiris
                            if that is supposed so we can assume that naquadah is formed in outerspace so we can search it in space rather than on planets
                            Perhaps, if were to happen upon a solar system in the right stage of formation. But considering the volume of asteroid sized projectiles that would likely be crashin around through orbit, it may prove quite difficult... Besides the fact you would have to scan an area the size of a solar system as opposed to scanning a planet, and also considering most solar systems would likely have no Naquadah, it may prove quite impossible.

Comment

your absolutely right we could have an problem with an naquadah astroid but whe could search for pure naquadah on inhabital planets so we can have an deposit first

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Osiris
                                your absolutely right we could have an problem with an naquadah astroid but whe could search for pure naquadah on inhabital planets so we can have an deposit first
                                Right, but considering the billions upon billions of star sytems in just our galaxy, coming up with an efficient method to search for an extremely rare element would probably prove the most difficult problem of any.

It seems the Goa'uld have relied soley on systematic searching of gate network solar systems to find their supply of the resource, and even then, they are doing it in areas likely scoured by the Ancients and other races before them.

Comment

Working...
                                X