No announcement yet.

Atomic Weight of Naquadah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maybe goa'uld techniscians have made an computer algorithm to search for possible repositories because u only have to know the gate locations, star constellations and the naquadah element

Make no Mistake... Osiris will return... and the rivers of the earth wil run red in blood

Comment

Going back to the original topic adressing the fact that these very heavy elements appear to be so unstable that they can only be created in a lab for a very short time:

I have heard of a theory, prior to Stargate, that at some point, these heavy elements become stable again (some large atomic number) and therfore they can exist by themselves indefinately (i.e. they don't breakdown in a few milli or microseconds). Therefore, if this is correct, it is entirely possible that Naquada ha a large enough atomic weight that it is stable.

EDIT: That doesn't sound like it should. OK, when I said they "become stable again" I don't mean that element 123 eventually becomes stable on it's own, I mean that as you go up the "theoretical periodic table of elements" the elements become unstable and then become stable again (say 160 or 170, I don't know an exact number). Therfore, if Naquada has a large enough atomic number, than maybe it is stable and can exist for very long periods of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice
        Nope, not necessarily. Besides the fact that Nh is referred to numerous times as an element, Naquadriah could very well be an unstable isotope of it. (Or it could be some form of compound, but an unstable isotope seems more likely to me.) As an isotope, it could have its own name (and even chemical symbol); Deuterium (a hydrogen isotope; D) does, after all. Howabout Nh for naquadah, and Nq for Naquadria?

As Jack would say "Carter?" ok the stuff the gou'ld use.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
          If we're talking about a mineral then refining would be freeing from impurities. Raw naquadah might well be an ore, in which case it would be a compound, not dissimilar to haematite, or simply a mixture of naquadah and assorted impurities.

Naquadriah would have the same atomic number as naquadah, but most likely a higher atomic weight, since the description of it is most compatible with an unstable isotope, rather than a separate element.

Finally, remember that naquadah makes a tragic mockery of about 90% of conventional physical laws.
          I agree, especially about naquadriah being an unstable isotope of naquadah.
          Spoiler:
          Life isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Comment

I have this document that I found ages ago that went into alot of scientific detail on where naquadah fits into the periodic table and such. I have no idea who authored it (not me lol, It's quite abit beyond my year10 chemistry class ). Its kinda old now, but it might interesting to some of you guys.

Stargate Theories.doc

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
              I have this document that I found ages ago that went into alot of scientific detail on where naquadah fits into the periodic table and such. I have no idea who authored it (not me lol, It's quite abit beyond my year10 chemistry class ). Its kinda old now, but it might interesting to some of you guys.

Stargate Theories.doc
              Oooh! Cool. Thanks. Any idea what message board it was first posted to?
              My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
              -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
              -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
              -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice
                Oooh! Cool. Thanks. Any idea what message board it was first posted to?
                No

Comment

How can an atom with an atomic weight of 160 be stable? How would the nucleus keep all those electrons in?? The shielding effect of the protons only goes so far

And thanks for the Stargate Theories, its interesting but since I'm only in my first year of Chem A level, I think I'll read it next year.
                  Last edited by iLemon; 16 March 2005, 05:49 AM.

sigpic
                  Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
                  Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

that...stargate theories thing was cool...but man someone has waaay too much time on their hands hahaha.

i dunno...i've heard the rumors about elements being stable once again in the high numbers, i was a chemistry major for a couple of years but i really dont remember much of it...

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
                    Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
                    Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                      Exactly. Assuming that there ever was naq in our solar system, which, according to show canon, there is not, and assuming the Ancients were somehow able to mine every last gram of the stuff from Earth, more would have eventually made its way to the surface of planets from the crucible of Earth's core in the millions of years since the Ancients would have stopped mining it here. This very fact proves, to me, at least, that the Ancients are not native to Earth.
                      why does that prove they are not native to earth? just because they didnt get naquidah from earth doesnt mean they didnt come from here, the stargates were made well after the ancients had faster than light engines etc to be able to place the stargates around the galaxy, and there for they could have found naquidah on a different planet while just exploring
                      Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
                      McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Comment

Originally posted by Steam
                        ..., the stargates were made well after the ancients had faster than light engines etc to be able to place the stargates around the galaxy,...
                        Really?
                        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by McKay's girl
                          How can an atom with an atomic weight of 160 be stable? How would the nucleus keep all those electrons in?? The shielding effect of the protons only goes so far
                          It was just a theory I heard once in physics class, I'm not saying it's true, but right now we can't prove it one way or another. I don't know who to believe more, a physicist or a chemist, but the EE in me would want to trust a quantum physicist more.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                            Really?
                            well of course, how else would they have been able to plant the stargates on different planets, they cant gate to a planet and put a gate there, they would have to have ships that could travel huge distances in the first place, the gate system was basicly a shortcut for the ancients
                            Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
                            McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Comment

Originally posted by Steam
                              well of course, how else would they have been able to plant the stargates on different planets, they cant gate to a planet and put a gate there, they would have to have ships that could travel huge distances in the first place, the gate system was basicly a shortcut for the ancients
                              Ah, but just because we don't know "how else" doesn't mean that there isn't... a... how else.

Does it?

It's like saying that no one could have populated the Pacific islands without large ocean-going vessels, or that the only way to get to the Americas from Eurasia was by ship, whereas in actual fact all these land masses held quite healthy populations long before large ocean-going vessels ever touched their shores.

By "really?" I meant was there an ep where what you state is mentioned?
                              Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                              "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                              One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                              resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                              confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                              A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                              The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Heh, I'm surprised nobody's made the Element 115 reference yet. It's used in UFO mythology a lot, as a power source for interstellar travel. As far as I recall, it's theorized to be a stable element (i.e., non-radioactive) but capable of unleashing vast amounts of energy. Sounds like a ringer for that magic black stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X