Atomic Weight of Naquadah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
    Exactly. Assuming that there ever was naq in our solar system, which, according to show canon, there is not, and assuming the Ancients were somehow able to mine every last gram of the stuff from Earth, more would have eventually made its way to the surface of planets from the crucible of Earth's core in the millions of years since the Ancients would have stopped mining it here. This very fact proves, to me, at least, that the Ancients are not native to Earth.
    Nq doesnt have to have originated on Earth, it couldve arrived on Earth via a comet millions/billions of years ago.

sigpic
    Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
    Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

Originally posted by Excali5033
      Heh, I'm surprised nobody's made the Element 115 reference yet. It's used in UFO mythology a lot, as a power source for interstellar travel. As far as I recall, it's theorized to be a stable element (i.e., non-radioactive) but capable of unleashing vast amounts of energy. Sounds like a ringer for that magic black stuff.
      And while we're on it, does anyone think BSG's Tyllium is their name for Naquadah?

-IMF
      "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
      "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
      BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by McKay's girl
        Nq doesnt have to have originated on Earth, it couldve arrived on Earth via a comet millions/billions of years ago.
        The Sudbury impact crater is 4 billion years old. It's huge, you can see it easily from satalite and we're still mining its mineral riches after 200 years. Eventually we may mine it dry, but evidence of its existence would still be there even if our descendants filled in the hole. Why? Because of the way that the heat and pressure of the impact changed the structure of the native soil structure.

If there was a naq asteroid impact on Earth we would have found evidence of it, even if the Ancients had mined it clean of naq.
        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Remeber we dont know if it is called Naquadah thats what the Goa'ulds called it, for all we know that could be a translation of an Ancient (Alteran) Word, after all the gate has naquadah in it and that was made by the Ancients

(Maybe we should go back in time and ask! )

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
            And while we're on it, does anyone think BSG's Tyllium is their name for Naquadah?
            It's all just isotopes of Plotnium.
            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Well, I'm a bit of a johnny come-lately to this thread, but here goes.

First, while naquadria can be derived from naquada, I THINK that it's been stated by Carter or someone as being another element. If that's the case, it's likely that it's derived from Naquada in much the same way as Plutonium is derived from Uranium.

This would especially make sense since you have weapons grade naquada. Using uranium as an example, uranium naturally occurs with different isotopes mixed together. Most of it is plain U-238 with a small amount of U-235 (approximately .7%). To make weapons grade Uranium, you have to seperate the two to increase the percentage of U-235. Weapon's grade uranium is typically about 80-85% U-235. It seems probable that naquada is similar and one of the isotopes is more unstable and thus fissionable.

Trinium is NOT a superheavy element. It's apparently just something the producers pulled out of thin air. It's been stated that it's superlight and superstrong.

Um, crap, I think there was some other stuff too but I forget what now. That's the most of it though.

Comment

Trinium could just have a really low density.

Comment

Wow, I am a nerd. I just read this entire thread.

Anyway, it's rare to find any element in nature that is pure. There is always some level of contamination. So, naquadah could be found naturally bonded with another element and so purifying it till it's in a usable form.

As for the naquardiah, I don't think that's an element, so much as a dirivative of naquadah. Pressure and time are basically geology; pressure and time is all it takes. Enough of it on naquadah and you could get naquadriah.

Unless.... I think I might have missed something during that last episode with Jonas.
                  'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Wandering Tamer
                    Anyway, it's rare to find any element in nature that is pure. There is always some level of contamination.
                    Intersting point other heavy elements like uranium are found in ores (like uranium oxides). It would be intersting to see if naquadah has to be refined or if its pure...

On another note, (my apologies if this has already been discussed) has anyone thought about whether liquid naquadah is also another element, an isotope or just a solution of naquadah? I'm leaning more towards solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                      If there was a naq asteroid impact on Earth we would have found evidence of it, even if the Ancients had mined it clean of naq.
                      But how would you know it had Naquadah in it if it was wiped clean?

sigpic
                      Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
                      Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

Presumably there would still be trace amounts leftover that wouldn't be worth the time and effort mining? I seem to remember some episodes where Daniel Jackson could do soil tests for naquadah.

Comment

You know that something was there by1) physical remains of the substance, or, 2) the effects the substence had on its environment.

Assuming that the Ancients had been able to locate and remove every atom of naquadah from Earth's soil, the type of crater a naq asteroid would have created would have been significantly different from the type made by a mostly nickel asteroid like the Sudbury astrobleme, not just in the size of the astrobleme, but in how the impact changed the basic structure of the native rock and even the local gravity. The naq impact crater would have left a fingerprint, if you will, that would be unique to it. There would be no other type of craters to compare, which fact would make geologists aware that something used to be here that isn't, now.
                          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

I dont really know what it would be but it would be very high one would venture to guess
                            My Blog - - Raise The Fist

Comment

Originally posted by sparky
                              Intersting point other heavy elements like uranium are found in ores (like uranium oxides). It would be intersting to see if naquadah has to be refined or if its pure...

On another note, (my apologies if this has already been discussed) has anyone thought about whether liquid naquadah is also another element, an isotope or just a solution of naquadah? I'm leaning more towards solution.
                              Its gotta be refined. Remember Orpheus? That prison planet was a Naquadah refinery. Not to mention numerous mentions of "refined" or "weapons-grade" Naquadah.

If liquid Naquadah were another element, it wouldn't be called the same thing, right? I've always wondered if it were maybe Nq hot enough to have melted, then kept at that temp using some kind of forcefield, but that's purely a WAG based on the fact that "liquid" implies to me that the chemical is the same, it's just in a different physical form--e.g. liquid ice is just water, and liquid gold is, well, melted.
                              My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
                              -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
                              -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
                              -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice
                                Its gotta be refined. Remember Orpheus? That prison planet was a Naquadah refinery. Not to mention numerous mentions of "refined" or "weapons-grade" Naquadah.

If liquid Naquadah were another element, it wouldn't be called the same thing, right? I've always wondered if it were maybe Nq hot enough to have melted, then kept at that temp using some kind of forcefield, but that's purely a WAG based on the fact that "liquid" implies to me that the chemical is the same, it's just in a different physical form--e.g. liquid ice is just water, and liquid gold is, well, melted.
                                It would most likely be a solution. Such a heavy metal would have an insanely high melting point, and given that it is a power scource, the power needed to maintain that temerature would likely negate the benefits of melting it. Besides, it appears to be a greenish color, rather than the glowing white-hot appearance one would expect from something at such a n incredibly high temperature.

Comment

Working...
                                X