Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Atomic Weight of Naquadah

The reason there is no Naquadah in our solar system is due entirely to the mass of the star that created our solar system. See, about 5-10 billion years ago, there was this giant star that existed somewhere near here. When that star went supernova, it exploded creating a large cloud of gas and dust that eventually formed our sun and the planets of our solar system.
    All elements in our solar system would have been made by that massive star, including the iron and carbon that makes up your body.

Since we know Naquadah doesn't exist naturally in our solar system, it means that the massive star that existed before Sol wasn't massive enough to fuse naquadah, thus we have no naturally occuring naquadah in our system.

However, there is a rather large (137km) asteroid floating around out there that was composed of 45% naquadah. With the need for naquadah to build BC-303s ("Enemy Mine"), you'd think they'd have gone out there and mined that rock already.
    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWraith
    Not to the nay-sayer of the group here:

But don't all the elements on the periodic table have to naturally exist? Or be artificially synthesized? Naquadah, on a technicality, doesn't exist except within the Stargate universe. I, too, think it would be pretty cool to add Naquadah to the periodic table, but I don't think that would happen because it "doesn't exist" so to speak. But then again, we can always make a "Stargate Periodic Table of Elements" where can add whatever elements we want, including Naquadah and even Naquadria.

By the way, all this chemistry talk is making my head hurt....
    Um, yes, I believe we're all well aware of the fact that both Nq and Nr exist only within the Stargate universe and as such couldn't be added to the Periodic Table in RL. That's why it's being discussed in a Stargate forum .
    My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
    -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
    -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
    -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Quote Originally Posted by Jarnin
    The reason there is no Naquadah in our solar system is due entirely to the mass of the star that created our solar system. See, about 5-10 billion years ago, there was this giant star that existed somewhere near here. When that star went supernova, it exploded creating a large cloud of gas and dust that eventually formed our sun and the planets of our solar system.
    All elements in our solar system would have been made by that massive star, including the iron and carbon that makes up your body.

Since we know Naquadah doesn't exist naturally in our solar system, it means that the massive star that existed before Sol wasn't massive enough to fuse naquadah, thus we have no naturally occuring naquadah in our system.

However, there is a rather large (137km) asteroid floating around out there that was composed of 45% naquadah. With the need for naquadah to build BC-303s ("Enemy Mine"), you'd think they'd have gone out there and mined that rock already.
    Huh? How do we know there's an asteroid like that out there?
    My LiveJournal.

-Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
    -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice
    Huh? How do we know there's an asteroid like that out there?
    Did we skip Fail Safe in Seaon 5?

The fact that they haven't tried to mine it and what happens when you walk through the wrong side of a stargate are probably two of the biggest questions I'd like to have answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarnin
    Well, aside from the fact that the SGC have sneck-all space mining capability and no spacebound heavy transport vessels, the Tok'ra probably ponced it while they were shuttling SG-1 home.

You can just see the looks of feigned innocence on the Council's faces as they ask: "You lost what? An eighty-five mile asteroid? How careless."
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Quote Originally Posted by aAnubiSs
    Did we skip Fail Safe in Seaon 5?
    Oh ... right. I've seen it, but it's been a while, and I completely forgot about the Nq on that asteroid. Thanks.
    My LiveJournal.

-Frank A. Clark

-Michel de Saint-Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Prophet
    Well, aside from the fact that the SGC have sneck-all space mining capability and no spacebound heavy transport vessels, the Tok'ra probably ponced it while they were shuttling SG-1 home.

You can just see the looks of feigned innocence on the Council's faces as they ask: "You lost what? An eighty-five mile asteroid? How careless."
    ::snicker:: Ooh, that's good.

Unfortunately for your theory, we've never seen anything which even hinted that the Tok'ra have any manufacturing capacity of their own. In fact, the frequency with which they must change bases and the small amount of equipment they take with them when they do indicates (to me, at any rate) that they have no manufacturing ability of their own. In which case, what would they do with it?
    My LiveJournal.

-Frank A. Clark

-Michel de Saint-Pierre

::snicker:: Ooh, that's good.

Unfortunately for your theory, we've never seen anything which even hinted that the Tok'ra have any manufacturing capacity of their own. In fact, the frequency with which they must change bases and the small amount of equipment they take with them when they do indicates (to me, at any rate) that they have no manufacturing ability of their own. In which case, what would they do with it?
    They have more chance of having - or at least getting - a space miner than Earth does.

True, they could pick it up lots easier. But then, how do they refine it? How do they take the refined Naquadah and make it into something? Without the facilities to do so, I just don't see it happening. And in an emergency evacuation of the kind the Tok'ra have so frequently, toting a huge asteroid around has got to slow you down, y'know?
    My LiveJournal.

-Frank A. Clark

-Michel de Saint-Pierre

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by sparky
    Also, just in case you were interested this web page (http://www.chem.qmul.ac.uk/iupac/AtWt/element.html) about really heavy atomic weights suggests the writers have been in a few chemistry classes. Element 130 is Untrinilium, which sounds familiar to trinium in the show, and element 140 is Unquadnilium which sounds familiar to naquadah. Maybe this means that naquadah is in the 140's as far as atomic numbers are concerned?
    Sorry, all unnamed elements that start with "Un" are named directly from Latin. See, Un means 1, quad means 4, nil means 0. Thus, Un-quad-nil-ium. Same with Untrilium. The problem with this system is that you sound stupid sounding out element 111, "unununium."
    Last edited by LtNOWIS; January 17th, 2005 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Grammer

True, they could pick it up lots easier. But then, how do they refine it? How do they take the refined Naquadah and make it into something? Without the facilities to do so, I just don't see it happening. And in an emergency evacuation of the kind the Tok'ra have so frequently, toting a huge asteroid around has got to slow you down, y'know?
    Not if you put an engine on it; park up a few teltacs as temporary living space, slap a Stargate on the back of it and you don't need a planet.

If you'll excuse me, I have to go and make note of a plot bunny...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Prophet
    Not if you put an engine on it; park up a few teltacs as temporary living space, slap a Stargate on the back of it and you don't need a planet.

If you'll excuse me, I have to go and make note of a plot bunny...
    Glad I could be of help, Mr. Prophet
    My LiveJournal.

-Frank A. Clark

-Michel de Saint-Pierre

I've read that to maintain a stable wormhole you need an anti-gravity material, which is Naquadah. And also the reason we havent got a Stargate yet is because an element like Naquadah hasn't been found yet, or that it doesn't exist.

Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
    Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Staff Sergeant

in upgrades u see 2 jaffa carrying 1 small slap of refined naquadah so i think in realit these are powerfull then all other current resources because to lift an lead bar u also need two men to lift it
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...r/PDVD_000.bmp
    Make no Mistake... Osiris will return... and the rivers of the earth wil run red in blood

Chief Master Sergeant BruceDickinson's Avatar

Perhaps it is a very cohesive element. As in, if there is a vein on a planet, it is the only location you will find it. And as far as it not making sense that more of it does not replenish itself, perhaps it requires very rare occurances to create the necessary conditions for it to form, such as a supernova.

Maybe when Naquadah is in a solar system during its early formation, it bonds together into an asteroid like cluster and when another body finally reaches a mass heavy enough to attract it, it crashess into the surface forming a localized deposit. It could posses certain properties that increase the likelyhood that it ends up on an Earthlike planet. That's all a half baked notion for sure, but maybe the logic works somehow...

Staff Sergeant

if that is supposed so we can assume that naquadah is formed in outerspace so we can search it in space rather than on planets
    Make no Mistake... Osiris will return... and the rivers of the earth wil run red in blood

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Osiris
    if that is supposed so we can assume that naquadah is formed in outerspace so we can search it in space rather than on planets
    Perhaps, if were to happen upon a solar system in the right stage of formation. But considering the volume of asteroid sized projectiles that would likely be crashin around through orbit, it may prove quite difficult... Besides the fact you would have to scan an area the size of a solar system as opposed to scanning a planet, and also considering most solar systems would likely have no Naquadah, it may prove quite impossible.

Staff Sergeant

your absolutely right we could have an problem with an naquadah astroid but whe could search for pure naquadah on inhabital planets so we can have an deposit first

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Osiris
    your absolutely right we could have an problem with an naquadah astroid but whe could search for pure naquadah on inhabital planets so we can have an deposit first
    Right, but considering the billions upon billions of star sytems in just our galaxy, coming up with an efficient method to search for an extremely rare element would probably prove the most difficult problem of any.

It seems the Goa'uld have relied soley on systematic searching of gate network solar systems to find their supply of the resource, and even then, they are doing it in areas likely scoured by the Ancients and other races before them.