Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Has anyone else been to Cardiff bay recently and CRINGED? Spoilers for CoE.

So, a couple of months back... before Children of Earth, I revelled in having my picture taken in Cardiff bay infront of the 'Torchwood front door' i.e. the fake tourist information shack (which actually leads to a dark and grotty area underneath the upper pavement that cannot have been pleasent for the actors to have to wait in during shoots....). It was all good fun... 'hey look, it's Torchwood!' etc...

Aaaaaand what's happened to it now?

It's become a VERY strange 'tribute' to the memory of Ianto. Dear God. Anyone would think that a REAL LIFE HUMAN BEING had actually died. The damn thing resembles the mourning sites of poor innocent victims of natural disasters and road traffic collissions. It was unsettling. I assume (hopefully correctly) no one on here was involved... why? Because Gateworld fans tend to be.... what's the phraseology.... oh yes.... MENTALLY BALANCED.

What drives a fan to cross that thin line, where natural emotion at the tragic events within fiction, caused by exceptional writing capabilities that are designed to pull at our heartstrings, manifest as disturbingly psychotic cries for attention by reaching out to a dead fictional 'friend' in the most bizarre of manners. Letter writing campaigns, or 'Save Daniel Jackson' sites are one thing. True, I disagree with the cause (I support killing off loved characters), but those are STILL SANE responses. What's happened down at Cardiff Bay is down right creepy...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

Default Re: Has anyone else been to Cardiff bay recently and CRINGED? Spoilers for CoE.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
    So, a couple of months back... before Children of Earth, I revelled in having my picture taken in Cardiff bay infront of the 'Torchwood front door' i.e. the fake tourist information shack (which actually leads to a dark and grotty area underneath the upper pavement that cannot have been pleasent for the actors to have to wait in during shoots....). It was all good fun... 'hey look, it's Torchwood!' etc...

Aaaaaand what's happened to it now?

It's become a VERY strange 'tribute' to the memory of Ianto. Dear God. Anyone would think that a REAL LIFE HUMAN BEING had actually died. The damn thing resembles the mourning sites of poor innocent victims of natural disasters and road traffic collissions. It was unsettling. I assume (hopefully correctly) no one on here was involved... why? Because Gateworld fans tend to be.... what's the phraseology.... oh yes.... MENTALLY BALANCED.

What drives a fan to cross that thin line, where natural emotion at the tragic events within fiction, caused by exceptional writing capabilities that are designed to pull at our heartstrings, manifest as disturbingly psychotic cries for attention by reaching out to a dead fictional 'friend' in the most bizarre of manners. Letter writing campaigns, or 'Save Daniel Jackson' sites are one thing. True, I disagree with the cause (I support killing off loved characters), but those are STILL SANE responses. What's happened down at Cardiff Bay is down right creepy...
    While I haven't been down to Cardiff for many years, I get what you're saying. It slightly creeps me out too. You can almost expect one or two, done partially as a joke, but then it gets out of control. The way some people latch onto characters and act as if they're real is more than a little disturbing to me, but it is just an extension of the way we treat fiction, and its fair to say that some people really are deeply affected by certain fictional characters in their lives (in a positive way) and actually feel their on-screen deaths like they would a real person.

And some people are just...well, a few fries short of a happy meal.

I have to disagree about the bolded line though. I mean, c'mon! Are we even on the same forum?! I've met more than a few absolute nutters on GW.
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.

Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Second Lieutenant

Default Re: Has anyone else been to Cardiff bay recently and CRINGED? Spoilers for CoE.

I dunno, I recall some Beckett fans planning on wearing those black bands that are associated with mourning on their arms at conventions

I don't know how the response was here, but I recall in the Farscape fandom there being a mini ****storm over the plan to wear the black bands to mourn a certain character who was lost in The Peacekeeper Wars mini-series, some people became very offended over them

It gives me the creeps as well. I've not been there but I've seen a few pics on line. If I ran the local council I'd get rid of it all. It looks ridiculous.

That is creepy and strange, but that's people!

Anyone have a pic or a link to a pic? I'm oddly curious now!
    <a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/spimman/media/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg target=_blank>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps2497bbad.jpg</a></a>

I'm very curious now.....very....curious. But yes its oddly well, odd.

I'm curious about it too.
    I've heard of a number of online fan campaigns to bring back a favorite character but I had no idea people were creating actual memorials for them.
    It does sound a little creepy to me. (Feeling an affinity for a character is one thing. This seems a little out of balance though.)

Here it is:

Now, bare in mind that when I saw it recently, it has escalated WELL beyond that. You couldn't actually see any of the shack.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

I find it obscene that there is a memorial like that for a fictional character when our troops are being killed every week in Afghanistan. It's disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Blencathra View Post
    I find it obscene that there is a memorial like that for a fictional character when our troops are being killed every week in Afghanistan. It's disgusting.
    Yes, it is. Too many people have too much money and too little decency. Having actually seen it now, this isn't just one or two people with a deeper than normal connection to a character, this is, frankly, sad, pathetic and offensive. How many actual, real, living people get memorials like that?
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.

Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Looking at those pictures all I can say is wow.
    It's kind of mind boggling that something on that scale is being done for a fictional character.

Quote Originally Posted by Blencathra View Post
    Amen.
    I guess it could stand as a sad example of where some people's priorities are. (Not that there is anything wrong with loving a TV character. It's just going to this length that bothers me and seems out of balance.)

I think people are overlooking something important, where the hell is the Tosh and Owen memorials?

It's a bit sad that people have gone this far over a fictional character, but at the same time I can't say I am surprised. Some people do get that caught up in characters.

Now that you mention it, Tosh and Owen did kind of get the shaft.

You're right about people getting caught up in characters. I guess I'm so surprised because I've never seen anything like that for one.

Okay whatever about the troops and what not, but in general I thought people freaked out way too much about Ianto being killed off, Torchwood tries to have a somewhat realistic tone (relatively speaking) and ya Id prefer if he stayed on in the show, but Torchwood is a pretty dangerous organisation and it wouldn't be realistic if people didn't die occasionally.
    I dunno what to put in here now..

Quote Originally Posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
    Okay whatever about the troops and what not, but in general I thought people freaked out way too much about Ianto being killed off, Torchwood tries to have a somewhat realistic tone (relatively speaking) and ya Id prefer if he stayed on in the show, but Torchwood is a pretty dangerous organisation and it wouldn't be realistic if people didn't die occasionally.
    I think that is what makes Torchwood most unique when compared to Dr. Who. In Who, everyone lives. Regardless of how bad things gets, regardless of how impossible a situation it may be, the Doctor saves everyone. Torchwood makes the characters more... connectable, for lack of a proper word, because their deaths bring out emotions. I can't speak for old Dr. Who (1 to 7) but I doubt anyone really cared about what happened to Rose or Martha after we saw what happened to Donna. It would have been even more powerful but they can't actually kill a companion off these days.

Quote Originally Posted by SaberBlade View Post
    I think that is what makes Torchwood most unique when compared to Dr. Who. In Who, everyone lives. Regardless of how bad things gets, regardless of how impossible a situation it may be, the Doctor saves everyone. Torchwood makes the characters more... connectable, for lack of a proper word, because their deaths bring out emotions. I can't speak for old Dr. Who (1 to 7) but I doubt anyone really cared about what happened to Rose or Martha after we saw what happened to Donna. It would have been even more powerful but they can't actually kill a companion off these days.
    Harriet Jones, Jabe, The Controller, Lynda Moss, Robert MacLeish, Mrs Moore, Colin Skinner, Bridget Sinclair, the Face of Boe, Chantho, Astrid Peth, Luke Rattigan, Jenny, River Song, Hostess, Gwyneth etc

Some of those deaths were pretty moving I thought.....

Quote Originally Posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
    Harriet Jones, Jabe, The Controller, Lynda Moss, Robert MacLeish, Mrs Moore, Colin Skinner, Bridget Sinclair, the Face of Boe, Chantho, Astrid Peth, Luke Rattigan, Jenny, River Song, Hostess, Gwyneth etc

Some of those deaths were pretty moving I thought.....
    But they weren't companions/main characters, plus Jenny came back to life, River died but still lived on, same with Astrid.

That's what makes Torchwood's deaths more powerful, because people actually die. Rose leaves, and ends up in a mansion with her parents, baby brother, best friend (for a while) and eventually her own Doctor. Martha marries Micky, Donna loses her memories, but is happy in love and even a multi-millionaire. In Torchwood, Owen is dead. Tosh is dead, Ianto is dead. You watch them, you love them, and they die. They don't get the happy Doctor Who ending.

A one off character can't top that.

Quote Originally Posted by SaberBlade View Post
    But they weren't companions/main characters, plus Jenny came back to life, River died but still lived on, same with Astrid.

That's what makes Torchwood's deaths more powerful, because people actually die. Rose leaves, and ends up in a mansion with her parents, baby brother, best friend (for a while) and eventually her own Doctor. Martha marries Micky, Donna loses her memories, but is happy in love and even a multi-millionaire. In Torchwood, Owen is dead. Tosh is dead, Ianto is dead. You watch them, you love them, and they die. They don't get the happy Doctor Who ending.

A one off character can't top that.
    Ya I know what you mean, still though the hostess and a few other deaths were pretty moving, and Donna defo had a few really upsetting moments... one of my friends started crying at the end of the library episodes, cos the guy was real but he had a stutter so he couldn't call out, and again when the doc had to erase her memories, in a way for Donna thats as bad as death.

But ya getting off topic, the outcry about Iantos death was crazy, I remember being on the forums at the time and loads of people were saying that Ianto was the only reason that they watched Torchwood, and with him gone there was no reason to watch it... which seems rediculous to me... he was a great addition to the show, but its not certainly not responsible for Torchwood being good....

I have to agree with an above statement; It is silly that people pay so much attention when a fictional character dies, and so little when true heroes give their lives for us. *tsk tsk*

The presence of a 'fake' memorial like that for a person who doesn't even exist cheapens the concept of a real memorial for people who actually died, many of them saving other people's lives - for real. Soldiers, firefighters, rescue workers...and a supporting character in a BBC drama. Yeah, I'm sure the men and women of the ISAF are happy Ianto Jones is getting the recognition he deserves.