Character Deaths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Character Deaths

What a fascinating episode. I look forward to the resolution in season 2. I am not spoiled as to who is signed on for the next season, so my comments are directed by in-story information.

I like the tension that has been built, and that so many of the main characters are in jepardy. That being said, I sincerly dislike cheats. There has been so much tension built, that I will be sincerely disappointed if none of the main characters die as a result.

The only one that I feel would damage the show if they died is Eli. Of the characters with the most face time, he is really the only likeable one.

Also another cheat. Ever since it was revealed that TJ was pregnant I have been rather convinced that the baby would not be born or would be lost shortly after birth. I have felt this because it seemed the whole pregnancy issue was the result of rather lazy writing. Right now, it feels as though my fears will be proven true. Either both mother and baby both live or both die. If TJ lives, but the baby dies, I will not be impressed.

Ive not looked into season 2 much at all except to discover a few additions to the support cast, but in relation to what your saying regarding TJ's baby in particular it was rather inevitable that the writers would not allow for a birth. It would be alot different to Teyla's pregnancy in SGA and it would cause many problems for writing. However a non birth would give the writers a feild day to play with emotions and relationships within the SGU camp. They realistically cannot kill off TJ as of yet due to her medical experience and training, it would lead to having to hire lots of other actors to come in for cameo roles as doctors.

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidBlue View Post
      What a fascinating episode. I look forward to the resolution in season 2. I am not spoiled as to who is signed on for the next season, so my comments are directed by in-story information.

I like the tension that has been built, and that so many of the main characters are in jepardy. That being said, I sincerly dislike cheats. There has been so much tension built, that I will be sincerely disappointed if none of the main characters die as a result.

The only one that I feel would damage the show if they died is Eli. Of the characters with the most face time, he is really the only likeable one.

Also another cheat. Ever since it was revealed that TJ was pregnant I have been rather convinced that the baby would not be born or would be lost shortly after birth. I have felt this because it seemed the whole pregnancy issue was the result of rather lazy writing. Right now, it feels as though my fears will be proven true. Either both mother and baby both live or both die. If TJ lives, but the baby dies, I will not be impressed.
      I doubt that any of the main characters will die. However, given that unfortunate shootout that resulted when one of the Destiny Marines and Varro got into a fight, I think we'll be short a number of secondary characters.
      sigpic

Comment

Agreed that by writing TJ to have lost the baby, does add the emotional stuff that they would be looking for. And would give quite a bit of drama and writing possibilities.
        My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
        "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

I'd like to see the baby and TJ make it. That ads several layers of drama.
          All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Yeah, TJ getting shot in the baby area just seems like a major cop-out for me

The Destiny crew, especially TJ and Young, are so much better off without that baby that it would have been interesting to see how they coped with raising it.

Comment

More often than not, baby storylines are a quick way to kill a series.

Comment

Kanten,

In my opinion that is because they rarely give honest portrayals of the difficulties of being an active parent to a very young child. They are quite demanding.
                All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Loheat View Post
                  Yeah, TJ getting shot in the baby area just seems like a major cop-out for me

The Destiny crew, especially TJ and Young, are so much better off without that baby that it would have been interesting to see how they coped with raising it.
                  Exactly. They were able to portry TJ as contemplating staying on that planet in "Faith" because of the agony she was going through thinking about what it would have been like to have to raise her's and Young's baby on the Destiny. What is worse is she was going to do it without even telling Young. Effectivly giving the father no say in what happens to his child. She agonized about the fact that the ship was a flaky rust can that they would have no way of knowing when it would drop out of FTL to resupply for. Food and water were a constant worry.

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                  Kanten,

In my opinion that is because they rarely give honest portrayals of the difficulties of being an active parent to a very young child. They are quite demanding.
                  Indeed. I think it would have been good to at least write the baby in for a half dozen episodes (and then have something happen to it) and show the struggles of her trying to get enough nutrition in herself to be able to feed the baby (breast feeding obviously). And also be able to do her work at the same time. Showing others who are helping her. And most importantly show the interractions between her and Young and the two of them with the baby. And then if after a half dozen episodes or so they have something happen to the baby, then that could add more drama with the two of them (TJ and Young) struggling with the emotions and angst of loosing their child.
                  My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
                  "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

Originally posted by SG7 View Post
                    Exactly. They were able to portry TJ as contemplating staying on that planet in "Faith" because of the agony she was going through thinking about what it would have been like to have to raise her's and Young's baby on the Destiny. What is worse is she was going to do it without even telling Young. Effectivly giving the father no say in what happens to his child. She agonized about the fact that the ship was a flaky rust can that they would have no way of knowing when it would drop out of FTL to resupply for. Food and water were a constant worry.

Indeed. I think it would have been good to at least write the baby in for a half dozen episodes (and then have something happen to it) and show the struggles of her trying to get enough nutrition in herself to be able to feed the baby (breast feeding obviously). And also be able to do her work at the same time. Showing others who are helping her. And most importantly show the interractions between her and Young and the two of them with the baby. And then if after a half dozen episodes or so they have something happen to the baby, then that could add more drama with the two of them (TJ and Young) struggling with the emotions and angst of loosing their child.
                    Excellent post. For me, there will be no drama if the baby is lost. I never expected that it would survive. Another drama that is written in, would seem to be forced. SG7, however, has presented a scenario that would be very interesting.

Comment

There is one thing I was glad that they did on the show, and that was not try and hide it. I hate when they do that on a show. You only see them from the chest up, or they are behind things, as though the viewers are to stupid to realize that the woman is preggers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                        Kanten,

That's inherently the problem. In order to properly portray that, you'd be taking a significant portion of the screentime away from the rest of the characters and plot. Either way, one of those elements suffers.

For a show that's already on the bubble, it's not a risk you'd be wanting to take right now.

Comment

Working...
                        X