• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dialling Earth

I was rewatching "Air, Part 2" and two things caught my eye:

1. 36 tries?

Quoted from the transscript:

RILEY: Sir, I think I've got it. It wasn't even that hard to find - it's right here in the dialling programme.

YOUNG: You sure?

RILEY: Yes. It's an eight symbol address.

GREER: You mean you can dial this thing back to Earth?

RILEY: There's no Point of Origin indicated but, still, there's only thirty-six symbols on this Gate. I'm assuming the ninth symbol represents some x-factor distance equation.

[...]

SCOTT: We have the address back. All we need is the right Point of Origin.

YOUNG: And we've got thirty-six tries.
    So there are 36 symbols on the entire gate. If they are dialling a 9-chevron-address and they do not know the point of origin, wouldn't that mean that they need at most 36-8 = 28 tries before finding the right symbol? Did I overlook something?

2. Dialling Earth while in FTL

Assuming they had the neccesary power, the ability to channel it into the gate and the right point of origin, would it have worked while they were in FTL? Without the ability to directly control the engines I can imagine two possibilities:

a) As soon as the 9th symbol was encoded, the ship would automatically drop out of FTL and establish the wormhole, similar to the incoming wormhole in "Air, Part 1" and
    Spoiler:
    "Incursion, Part 1"

b) The gate can only dial out while the ship is not in FTL, and even a 9-chevron-dialling can not override the flight plan.

What do you think would happen?
    sigpic

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

It would drop out of ftl just as it did before dialing the
    Spoiler:
    desert world
    sigpic
    - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Working...
    X