Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    River's Roommate carmencatalina's Avatar

Default Re: Dale Volker/Patrick Gilmore Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation (SGU)

He is awesome, and I love Volker more every episode. His "new friends . . . yay" comment on the last episode was delivered absolutely perfectly.

Lieutenant Colonel MattSilver 3k's Avatar

Okay, with my other favourite recurring characters now dead - it should be pretty easy to guess who - I think Volker is really stepping up to the plate and becoming a favourite of mine. It's been one of the more subtle character warmings I've felt - sorta like Scott early in the season. But I gotta say why, so here we go:

Spoiler:
    Looking back, it's been a process of elimination thing. Riley was always my favourite secondary character, but I always loved the science group - Park, Brody and Volker. Not so much Franklin, but he's better now than he was. But still, Park's reading put her on top first off because of the sheer matter-of-fact way she did it back in Life, and then her positive comments in Faith were great. Brody was always a bit of negative guy, but I still love the deadpan humour about him.

Onto Volker: Pain probably helped a lot. Great performance by Patrick, and it really played off the fact the character seemed to be hiding some unstable nature in the background, as shown in Life with TJ's interview. Then there was this Kino episode, The Apple Core, which was pure awesome Volker teasing Brody about the Apple Core. Now, in season two, what first caught my attention was Pathogen, when he defended Park from Simeon's little comment in the cafeteria. Dude looked ready to go all out and beat Simeon's ass.

Malice was fantastic for Volker, almost as much as it was fantastic for Eli or Rush. Seriously, the gateroom hostage scene and the ones in the bridge were great. Whether or not he has feelings for Park isn't really a big issue - even if he likes her as a friend, there's something great about his loyalty and willingness to throw himself on the fire for her. I hadn't really noticed him until this, and now I'm going to be on the lookout for him some more. With Riley, Perry and Ginn all deadsies, Volker's all that's left among the favourite recurrers. At least I'm sure he'll survive to the end of season two...
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Quote Originally Posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
    Okay, with my other favourite recurring characters now dead - it should be pretty easy to guess who - I think Volker is really stepping up to the plate and becoming a favourite of mine. It's been one of the more subtle character warmings I've felt - sorta like Scott early in the season. But I gotta say why, so here we go:

Spoiler:
    Looking back, it's been a process of elimination thing. Riley was always my favourite secondary character, but I always loved the science group - Park, Brody and Volker. Not so much Franklin, but he's better now than he was. But still, Park's reading put her on top first off because of the sheer matter-of-fact way she did it back in Life, and then her positive comments in Faith were great. Brody was always a bit of negative guy, but I still love the deadpan humour about him.

Onto Volker: Pain probably helped a lot. Great performance by Patrick, and it really played off the fact the character seemed to be hiding some unstable nature in the background, as shown in Life with TJ's interview. Then there was this Kino episode, The Apple Core, which was pure awesome Volker teasing Brody about the Apple Core. Now, in season two, what first caught my attention was Pathogen, when he defended Park from Simeon's little comment in the cafeteria. Dude looked ready to go all out and beat Simeon's ass.

Malice was fantastic for Volker, almost as much as it was fantastic for Eli or Rush. Seriously, the gateroom hostage scene and the ones in the bridge were great. Whether or not he has feelings for Park isn't really a big issue - even if he likes her as a friend, there's something great about his loyalty and willingness to throw himself on the fire for her. I hadn't really noticed him until this, and now I'm going to be on the lookout for him some more. With Riley, Perry and Ginn all deadsies, Volker's all that's left among the favourite recurrers. At least I'm sure he'll survive to the end of season two...
    Spoiler:
    Riley & Volker were my two favorite secondaries—that is, until Riley was out of the picture. Given the deaths we've seen, I think that somewhere down the line, Volker may get eliminated as well. I certainly hope not though.

The recent deaths certainly created a lot of impact. It certainly left me wondering whether the other secondaries were going to get killed off in Malice. But Volker had great moments there like you said.

Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar

new friends..... yay

Spoiler:
    Now, in season two, what first caught my attention was Pathogen, when he defended Park from Simeon's little comment in the cafeteria. Dude looked ready to go all out and beat Simeon's ass.
    I didn't notice this the first time around, I'll have to rewatch the scene, then. I remember it now that you mention it, but I was more focused on Greer's reaction at the time.

Spoiler:
    Seriously, the gateroom hostage scene and the ones in the bridge were great. Whether or not he has feelings for Park isn't really a big issue - even if he likes her as a friend, there's something great about his loyalty and willingness to throw himself on the fire for her.
    This. I began to really pay attention to Patrick Gilmore's performance as Volker after being blown away by his understated portrayal of Trennan on Riese. He really gives a nuanced performance, and the hostage scene really highlights it. He truly conveyed a sense of helplessness at the situation.
    Last edited by jasminaGo; November 22nd, 2010 at 01:56 AM. Reason: fixing spoiler tags

This week I was watching Fringe and suddenly I thought "Wait, I know that actor!" It was Patrick Gilmore

Pics from the SGU S2 Wrap Party:
    http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-2-wrap-party/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And another one with Asleigh and LF

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Grimm returns October 24

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
    Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

there's a thread at GW about who is our favourite scientist - you could vote for Volker

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...6#post12183326
    Grimm returns October 24

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
    Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Source: MGM

10 Things You Didn’t Know About Patrick Gilmore

Quote Originally Posted by antipodal View Post
    Source: MGM

10 Things You Didn’t Know About Patrick Gilmore
    Wow, would really like to hear him sing.

Colonel

I really didn't notice his character much in the beginning of the series, but now toward the end, there is definitely some appeal there ... is his hair different? His attitude? I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by themyst View Post
    ... is his hair different?
    His hair is definitely different.

Hey that's weird - my post didn't show up. Must have been a solar flare ... Here it is again anyway.

lol - Egle01, indeed it is different. But I think maybe he is more confident now (character as well as personally) that may be what I'm looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by themyst View Post
    Hey that's weird - my post didn't show up. Must have been a solar flare ... Here it is again anyway.
    Might have something to do with your Probie status.

Quote Originally Posted by Egle01 View Post
    Might have something to do with your Probie status.
    Hmm ... don't think so in this case - they've taken me off moderated posts (yay!) already. Maybe I just did something wrong. Or the solar flare thing -

Lieutenant Colonel

AHHHHHH!
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by escyos View Post
    Eww. Where did you get picture?

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Egle01 View Post
    Eww. Where did you get picture?
    http://patrickgilmore.wordpress.com/