Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Thread: did the Ancients create the Wraith?

Default Re: did the Ancients create the Wraith?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganthet Jr. View Post
    I don't know if this was ever stated or not, but I have a good guess as to how they evolved so quickly. The Wraith have great immunological properties, as well as regenerative, which is what allows them to live so long and survive as much as they do. This same property may allow them to evolve much, much, much quicker.
    Or we could look at what happened to Sheppard, and concur that a similar reaction happened to the Lanteans and/or humans that were fed on.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

I forget what episode it was, but they said that the ancients did indirectly create the Wraith. And i specificly remember the line "destroyed by their own creation" - McKay.

Captain Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Yu View Post
    I forget what episode it was, but they said that the ancients did indirectly create the Wraith. And i specificly remember the line "destroyed by their own creation" - McKay.
    That might be about the replicators in 'the return'.

Lieutenant Colonel

It was mentioned in The Gift that maybe the ancients had a hand in creating the wraith and then in the Return Part 1, Woolsey mentions to Helia that the ancients admitted to inadvertenly creating the wraith. so yes they did.

Saving private Ryan MONEY on his car insurance!

Quote Originally Posted by escyos View Post
    It was mentioned in The Gift that maybe the ancients had a hand in creating the wraith and then in the Return Part 1, Woolsey mentions to Helia that the ancients admitted to inadvertenly creating the wraith. so yes they did.
    By accident yes, but not on purpose

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Quote Originally Posted by bradly08 View Post
    I believe escyos addressed that when he said "inadvertently".
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Quote Originally Posted by bradly08 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofseas View Post
    I believe escyos addressed that when he said "inadvertently".
    Quote Originally Posted by escyos View Post
    It was mentioned in The Gift that maybe the ancients had a hand in creating the wraith and then in the Return Part 1, Woolsey mentions to Helia that the ancients admitted to inadvertently creating the wraith. so yes they did.

Yes and no they put humans on the planets then the iratus bug got the humans and i think the DNA kinda mixed.

I've compiled a different theory, but instead of writing it all out here I'll just post the link.

here

Quote Originally Posted by KingWasabi View Post
    Yes and no they put humans on the planets then the iratus bug got the humans and i think the DNA kinda mixed.
    Maybe the human/iratus DNA mix up happened when the Ancients seeded life itself in PG. Perhaps these humanoid alien species such as the Unas, Serrakin, Wraith, etc. are the result of the Ancients seeding planets which already had preexisting lifeforms.

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by Mckay221 View Post
    I love Atlantis more then most people which is why i thought of this, and it has to do with the wraith. We all know that they evolved from those bugs who's name i can't spell. Those bugs would have to evolve them selves to feed off humans then evolve more to become the human form wraith. Then after all that is done, they have to invent all their tech.
    The problem I have is that it is impossible for all of this to happen in a few million years. To go from a bug to human form would take billions of years. But this would be possible if the evelution was "helped" along artificially. I think this is possible, I mean look at all their other major, pointless and deadly screw ups
    The bugs absorbed human DNA. The bugs are not humans. The Wraith are not humans. The Wraith are human form bugs. Basically.

No, the Ancients did not create he Wraith. They are a cross beteween human and Iratus bug but they are more humanoind than they are bugs, of course

Staff Sergeant

I don't really understand the DNA mixing part. We as humans eat all sorts of things, I have yet to turn in to one of them. Now, proceed with the "you are what you eat jokes..."

Depending on whether you regard the SGA Legacy novels as canon (I know some people are against novels being canon), the Ancients did indeed create the Wraith.

Spoilers for book content.
    Spoiler:
    According to Legacy, a fraction of Ancients did some secret experiments, treating ordinary humans with an iratus bug gene therapy. The aim was to circumvent the need for ascension to achieve immortality. Experimenting proved to be a severe failure with many humans killed and those that did survive turning into the first Wraith. These escaped from the Ancient testing facility and spread across the galaxy. Well, the rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Stellaris View Post
    Depending on whether you regard the SGA Legacy novels as canon (I know some people are against novels being canon), the Ancients did indeed create the Wraith.

Spoilers for book content.
    Spoiler:
    According to Legacy, a fraction of Ancients did some secret experiments, treating ordinary humans with an iratus bug gene therapy. The aim was to circumvent the need for ascension to achieve immortality. Experimenting proved to be a severe failure with many humans killed and those that did survive turning into the first Wraith. These escaped from the Ancient testing facility and spread across the galaxy. Well, the rest is history.
    I could guess people are against that because I think more people watched the show than read the books

Yes, that's probably the main reason why most people don't regard books as canon. I have to admit I do have trouble with some novels as well (especially if characters are not written well) but personally, I rather like Legacy because the Wraith are portrayed much more extensive than in the show, and with much more depth, too. Anyway, just wanted to throw the information out in case there's still interest in the discussion and different versions of Wraith origin.

Oh but such things are nice to know at least imo, even though it contradicts a bit what they say in the show...then again, I am not sure if their actual origin is all that clear, the way I said before.
    Thinking about it now, I cannot remember if it was ever really said, that this is how they came to be, or if that was only how the people on Atlantis thought it was and not investigated that further

There are two questions I wish had been answered on the show -

1) What did Iratus bugs feed on before the Ancients seeded their home planet with humans?

2) Why didn't Iratus bugs evolve into a hybrid form of their original food animals?

Ah, the questions that would have spiced the story! Technically, there should be more iratus hybrids out there. So this could indeed be the proof that the Ancients (or any other technological advanced race) did genetic engineering and created the Wraith. Otherwise, there would be more natural iratus hybrids.

The bugs could've fed on any living creature that populated their home world, as long as the prey meets certain requirements, e.g. being warm-blooded. There really was so much information missing on the show!

Quote Originally Posted by ciannwn View Post
    There are two questions I wish had been answered on the show -

1) What did Iratus bugs feed on before the Ancients seeded their home planet with humans?

2) Why didn't Iratus bugs evolve into a hybrid form of their original food animals?
    Oh those questions would be enough to think about for a new discussion thread

For the first question, I think the same as Draco

The second question, well yes, why actualy not?
    I could think maybe they fed of other insects *shrugs*