Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
    Yes, but if the shields suddenly failed during re-entry, they would burn up in the atmosphere.
    I know that. I knew that before you did.

You're the one who implied that the fact that the city was "pretty banged up" might be the result of a shieldless reentry (here). However, that was never a possibility.
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
      I know that. I knew that before you did.

You're the one who implied that the fact that the city was "pretty banged up" might be the result of a shieldless reentry (here). However, that was never a possibility.
      You're using something I wrote incorrectly and not bothering to fix to attempt to prove your point. My point is, which is on topic, is that it is far less than likely that Atlantis has 3 ZPMs to power it, which is the point of this thread, as the person who asked it is asking if Atlantis has enough power to dial Destiny as "Atlantis is also fully-powered with 3 ZPM's" apparently. Atlantis isn't. Wormhole drive, hyperspace, the dive into the atmosphere, and the entire fight takes away the entire possibility that Atlantis is powered by 3 full ZPMs. However, it does have at least enough energy to cloak.
      If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
      Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
      If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
      Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Actually, if the city couldn't put out enough power to power the shields, engines, weapons during a fight because its banged up, then its doubtful it could get enough power through the conduits to maintain a 9 chrevon wormhole.
        I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

The ZPMs have always been seen as the absolute power source. But they are just to much rare to be used like this. three zpms would not be able maintain an connection for more than some microseconds.
          sigpic
          - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Well tbh maybe Atlantis could also try to use solar power. From the last man we know that sheppard managed to come back to present atlantis by powering atlantis shields using solar energy as the primary power source. Maybe if we upgrade the city and it's shields and move it closer to the sun we could get enough solar power to dial destiny?

Comment

Originally posted by comperius View Post
              Well tbh maybe Atlantis could also try to use solar power. From the last man we know that sheppard managed to come back to present atlantis by powering atlantis shields using solar energy as the primary power source. Maybe if we upgrade the city and it's shields and move it closer to the sun we could get enough solar power to dial destiny?
              I don't know if we could possibly upgrade the height of the Ancient's technology.
              If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                Actually, if the city couldn't put out enough power to power the shields, engines, weapons during a fight because its banged up, then its doubtful it could get enough power through the conduits to maintain a 9 chrevon wormhole.
                Possibly, but don't forget the primary purpose of atlantis is to be a city, not a flying warship. I think it's within the realm of possibility that if Atlantis was grounded, repaired and not using it's shields it could connect to Destiny, I just don't see it happening in SGU however.
                sigpic
                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

so what if it was designed as a city? it can still fly in space so there is no reason why fully powered shields and modified solar power collectors in combination with 3 ZPM's could not dail Destiny for few minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by comperius View Post
                    so what if it was designed as a city? it can still fly in space so there is no reason why fully powered shields and modified solar power collectors in combination with 3 ZPM's could not dail Destiny for few minutes.
                    Granted, Atlantis could most likely fly into space. But there is not 3 fully functional ZPMs in the city. And why make Atlantis go near the sun, when you could rip the components from Atlantis and equip them to the Daedalus?

sigpic

Comment

Sorry got abit of a peeve with a few posts on this article.

Atlantis as we last saw it have 3 functional ZPM's there is nothing to suggest any of them have been depleated or no longer functional, yes the wormhole drive would have used massive amounts of power however we do not know how much was used thus we cannot suggest anything until we know otherwise.

In regards to Destiny getting closer to earth, I dont think that could ever happen. The Ancients set Destiny out on a course that is effectivly will never bring it back to earth unless its doing a U turn somewhere, assuming it does a U turn it may someday return to Earth or wherever it was launched in the Milky Way, However the emphasis is that it will just get further and further away. That in mind it is curious that the Ancients did not anticipate the power requirements needed to dial Destiny at its current location or further into the universe.

Comment

Maybe they anticipated the power requirements. However the Destiny journey would probably be a one way only? By the time they were set to send the Ancients to the ship, while it was in good range, the war with the Wraith started, and they couldn't keep the project going. So they just left the ship wandering in the pre-defined course, unmaned. Also note, the crue can get everything from the planets they stop by, so that's an example that they wouldn't connect to them from Earth, or any other place, in order to send supplies or any other items.
                        We can all agree that Atlantis is powered by 3 ZPM's, in EATG. They aren't completely full, but since there is a cloak, there must be power.
                        Still, I don't think 3ZPM's would be enough to dial Destiny, at least to maintain a stable wormhole, for a certain period of time. I also think that, they would prioritize the use of the ZPM's. They can't leave the city stranded there forever. So no, they wouldn't spend the 3ZPMs on 80 people.

I do believe, however, that a Naquadriah planet will be found and a link will be made to the Destiny, but only in a later stage of the series.

Also, the Ancients planned a mean of communication with the ship, just not direct. The stones serve the purpose entirely. The crue would use them to report on the status, and on the discoveries.

Comment

Originally posted by RCOO View Post
                          Maybe they anticipated the power requirements. However the Destiny journey would probably be a one way only? By the time they were set to send the Ancients to the ship, while it was in good range, the war with the Wraith started, and they couldn't keep the project going. So they just left the ship wandering in the pre-defined course, unmaned. Also note, the crue can get everything from the planets they stop by, so that's an example that they wouldn't connect to them from Earth, or any other place, in order to send supplies or any other items.
                          We can all agree that Atlantis is powered by 3 ZPM's, in EATG. They aren't completely full, but since there is a cloak, there must be power.
                          Still, I don't think 3ZPM's would be enough to dial Destiny, at least to maintain a stable wormhole, for a certain period of time. I also think that, they would prioritize the use of the ZPM's. They can't leave the city stranded there forever. So no, they wouldn't spend the 3ZPMs on 80 people.

I do believe, however, that a Naquadriah planet will be found and a link will be made to the Destiny, but only in a later stage of the series.

Also, the Ancients planned a mean of communication with the ship, just not direct. The stones serve the purpose entirely. The crue would use them to report on the status, and on the discoveries.
                          No, we can't.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                            No, we can't.
                            yes, we can

Comment

Yea. I think so too. They can be at minimal charge, but they still have some power left.

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                                yes, we can
                                Really. Because I think I'm part of a collective, and I say "No", so through my logic, we all can't agree on if there's 3 ZPMs still working in Atlantis.

Originally posted by RCOO View Post
                                Yea. I think so too. They can be at minimal charge, but they still have some power left.
                                So, idealistically, there's only 1 ZPM worth on Atlantis, no?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X