Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 95
  1. #1
    Chief Master Sergeant Descended's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    176

    Default Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    It has been confirmed that dialing Destiny is not possible using a single ZPM (such as what is available to the SGC from the original replicator takeover bid) - but why not try to dial Destiny from Atlantis.

    Atlantis is currently parked on Earth, so they could send many supplies through, and Atlantis is also fully-powered with 3 ZPM's (which provide exponentially more power when you have a full complement) - I can't believe that the "magical energy" provided by a Naquadriah planet (which is never explained fully) is more than 3 ZPM's working together.

    How were the Ancients planning on contacting Destiny? Naquadriah was invented by a Goa'uld as an unstable form of Naquadah, which happened well after the Ancients ascended. They must have planned for some way of contacting Destiny.

  2. #2
    Lieutenant Colonel lordofseas's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near a wine bottle...
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Quote Originally Posted by Descended View Post
    It has been confirmed that dialing Destiny is not possible using a single ZPM (such as what is available to the SGC from the original replicator takeover bid) - but why not try to dial Destiny from Atlantis.

    Atlantis is currently parked on Earth, so they could send many supplies through, and Atlantis is also fully-powered with 3 ZPM's (which provide exponentially more power when you have a full complement) - I can't believe that the "magical energy" provided by a Naquadriah planet (which is never explained fully) is more than 3 ZPM's working together.
    No, Atlantis is not powered by 3 fully powered ZPMs.

    How were the Ancients planning on contacting Destiny? Naquadriah was invented by a Goa'uld as an unstable form of Naquadah, which happened well after the Ancients ascended. They must have planned for some way of contacting Destiny.
    By the time that the Ancients would have even thought of contacting Destiny, it would have been a closer to Earth. Which means that they could very well do it with a couple of ZPMs, something we don't even have.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.


    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

  3. #3
    Chief Master Sergeant Descended's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    176

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Atlantis has the one ZPM which was partially depleted, and the two fresh ZPMs acquired from Todd in "Enemy at the Gate" - they wouldn't have been that exhausted from the hyperspace voyage to the Milky Way - and it is doubtful that the "deus ex machina" wormhole drive would have completely drained them. So there should be 3 working ZPMs on Atlantis still.

    Also, if they need another ZPM they could always go recover the one onboard the Tria (the ancient warship in "The Return") since it was shown to have a ZPM and was left out in the inter-galactic void between the Milky Way and Pegasus. (The Daedalus could only transport the Ancient crew, it had no way of taking the ship, so it should still be out there)

  4. #4
    Chief Master Sergeant Nataku27's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beyond the Rim
    Posts
    123

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    In theory with three ZPM they could contact Destiny but it will never happen for two valid reasons :

    1. ZPM are hard to find and they would never take the risk to deplete them for eighty people.
    2. The writers will never allow such an easy way to contact and help Destiny's crew.

  5. #5
    Lieutenant Colonel lordofseas's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near a wine bottle...
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Quote Originally Posted by Descended View Post
    Atlantis has the one ZPM which was partially depleted, and the two fresh ZPMs acquired from Todd in "Enemy at the Gate" - they wouldn't have been that exhausted from the hyperspace voyage to the Milky Way - and it is doubtful that the "deus ex machina" wormhole drive would have completely drained them. So there should be 3 working ZPMs on Atlantis still.
    Yes, the ZPMs were almost completely depleted because of the wormhole drive.

    BECKETT: I don't have enough power. I can keep firing or pull us up. Which is it gonna be?
    WOOLSEY: Thanks for the kind words, Colonel, but I wouldn't pop the champagne just yet. We've lost orbit and Doctor Beckett is unable to compensate. We're going in.

    CARTER: Do you have enough shield to survive re-entry?

    (Richard looks across to Radek who looks at his screens, then turns and throws up his hands in a despairing "I have absolutely no idea" gesture.)

    WOOLSEY: We're about to find out.
    These show that not even a single fully powered ZPM is still available to them. Though the could potentially recover the Drone chair's ZPM, but that leaves them at less than two.

    Also, if they need another ZPM they could always go recover the one onboard the Tria (the ancient warship in "The Return") since it was shown to have a ZPM and was left out in the inter-galactic void between the Milky Way and Pegasus. (The Daedalus could only transport the Ancient crew, it had no way of taking the ship, so it should still be out there)
    That was brought back by the Lanteans to Atlantis.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.


    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

  6. #6
    Captain Quadhelix's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,610

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofseas View Post
    Yes, the ZPMs were almost completely depleted because of the wormhole drive.
    ...
    These show that not even a single fully powered ZPM is still available to them. Though the could potentially recover the Drone chair's ZPM, but that leaves them at less than two.
    You seem to have missed an important detail:
    DEX: I'm ready to get out of here.

    SHEPPARD: Take your time. The city's pretty banged up. Even with the ZeePMs we're not going anywhere for a while.

    DEX: And when they've fixed it, d'you really think they're gonna let us take it back to Pegasus?
    Emphasis mine.

    In other words, they still have all 3 ZPMs. As for why they were having power trouble during the battle, I would say that that can probably be ascribed to damaged power conduits and the like limiting power flow, rather than any problem with the ZPMs.
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

    "And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

    "Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

  7. #7
    Lieutenant Colonel lordofseas's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near a wine bottle...
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quadhelix View Post
    You seem to have missed an important detail:

    Emphasis mine.

    In other words, they still have all 3 ZPMs. As for why they were having power trouble during the battle, I would say that that can probably be ascribed to damaged power conduits and the like limiting power flow, rather than any problem with the ZPMs.
    Although it's plural, it does not necessarily mean that there are still 3 Zero Point Modules.

    And you're also missing this:

    ZELENKA: Actually, that's something I've been wanting to talk to you about. (He gestures down to his computer tablet.) This is something that Rodney's been working on for quite some time. It's an adaptation of an Ancient technology which was abandoned because of instability and enormous power requirements.
    It's less than likely that Atlantis has 2 fully powered Zero Point Modules still.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.


    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

  8. #8
    Captain Quadhelix's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,610

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofseas View Post
    Although it's plural, it does not necessarily mean that there are still 3 Zero Point Modules.
    But the fact that they expect to be able to use their ZPMs to get back to Pegasus once repairs are complete does imply that they have 3 ZPMs: one for the shield, one for the inertial dampers, and one for the star drive itself.


    Quote Originally Posted by lordofseas View Post
    It's less than likely that Atlantis has 2 fully powered Zero Point Modules still.
    "Enormous power requirements" does not inherently translate to "depletes a ZPM."
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

    "And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

    "Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

  9. #9
    Major Puddle-Jumper's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The TARDIS... Also UCC...
    Posts
    2,353

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quadhelix View Post
    But the fact that they expect to be able to use their ZPMs to get back to Pegasus once repairs are complete does imply that they have 3 ZPMs: one for the shield, one for the inertial dampers, and one for the star drive itself.

    "Enormous power requirements" does not inherently translate to "depletes a ZPM."
    True but dispite what Col. sheppard (who is not really an expert on the subject) said, Zelenka wouldn't have bothered to mention the power requirements unless they would use a considerable amount of at least 1 ZPM, and the fact that they had to choose between attacking and engines would indiacate that they are down quite a bit in power... like the city wouldn't be much use if it couldn't power the shields, weapons and engines simulatenously, as it would be virtually useless in space battles..
    I dunno what to put in here now..

  10. #10
    Captain Quadhelix's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,610

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Quote Originally Posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
    True but dispite what Col. sheppard (who is not really an expert on the subject) said Zelenka wouldn't have bothered to mention the power requirements unless they would use a considerable amount of at least 1 ZPM
    The problem with this argument is that:

    A) Colonel Sheppard was speaking after the jump and battle. He doesn't have to be an expert, because he has the advantage of knowing what the actual outcome was. Zelenka, on the other hand, was speaking before the jump, meaning that he had to predict the outcome in advance, as opposed to just say what had already happened.

    B) Sheppard sounded very much like he was paraphrasing a status report back to Ronan; i.e., he wasn't giving his opinion on the issue, but repeating what the "tech guys" had told him.


    Quote Originally Posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
    , and the fact that they had to choose between attacking and engines would indiacate that they are down quite a bit in power...
    Which, as I mentioned, is easily explained by the idea that there were damaged power conduits or something along those lines. Remember, "The city's pretty banged up. Even with the ZPMs we're not going anywhere for a while."
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

    "And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

    "Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

  11. #11
    Lieutenant Colonel lordofseas's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near a wine bottle...
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quadhelix View Post
    The problem with this argument is that:

    A) Colonel Sheppard was speaking after the jump and battle. He doesn't have to be an expert, because he has the advantage of knowing what the actual outcome was. Zelenka, on the other hand, was speaking before the jump, meaning that he had to predict the outcome in advance, as opposed to just say what had already happened.

    B) Sheppard sounded very much like he was paraphrasing a status report back to Ronan; i.e., he wasn't giving his opinion on the issue, but repeating what the "tech guys" had told him.
    A) True.

    B) That's conjecture. It is, nevertheless, an assumption.

    Which, as I mentioned, is easily explained by the idea that there were damaged power conduits or something along those lines. Remember, "The city's pretty banged up. Even with the ZPMs we're not going anywhere for a while."
    And remember, that's after re-entry. A re-entry in which Zelenka had no idea if they could survive because of the lack of shield.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.


    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

  12. #12
    Captain Quadhelix's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,610

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofseas View Post
    B) That's conjecture. It is, nevertheless, an assumption.
    An assumption? Perhaps, but not an unreasonable one, given the circumstances.



    Quote Originally Posted by lordofseas View Post
    And remember, that's after re-entry. A re-entry in which Zelenka had no idea if they could survive because of the lack of shield.
    That is incorrect; after checking the transcript, I believe that I have found the relevant scene (emphases mine):
    WOOLSEY: Thanks for the kind words, Colonel, but I wouldn't pop the champagne just yet. We've lost orbit and Doctor Beckett is unable to compensate. We're going in.

    CARTER: Do you have enough shield to survive re-entry?

    (Richard looks across to Radek who looks at his screens, then turns and throws up his hands in a despairing "I have absolutely no idea" gesture.)

    WOOLSEY: We're about to find out.
    The implication being that if they loose the shield, they die.

    Remember "The Storm" and "The Eye" back in Season 1? It was the 2-part episode where they had to get the shield working because a storm threatened to sink the city. In other words, the city isn't surviving reentry without the shield.
    Last edited by Quadhelix; June 24th, 2010 at 09:41 AM.
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

    "And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

    "Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

  13. #13
    Lieutenant Colonel lordofseas's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near a wine bottle...
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quadhelix View Post
    An assumption? Perhaps, but not an unreasonable one, given the circumstances.



    That is incorrect; after checking the transcript, I believe that I have found the relevant scene (emphases mine):

    The implication being that if they loose the shield, they die.

    Remember "The Storm" and "The Eye" back in Season 1? It was the 2-part episode where they had to get the shield working because a storm threatened to sink the city. In other words, the city isn't surviving reentry without the shield.
    Sorry, I wrote that incorrectly. Zelenka had no idea if they could survive, because he didn't know if they could keep the shield viable.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.


    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

  14. #14
    Captain Quadhelix's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,610

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofseas View Post
    Sorry, I wrote that incorrectly. Zelenka had no idea if they could survive, because he didn't know if they could keep the shield viable.
    ...right.

    This means that the city was already "pretty banged up" already, because the shield was still working during reentry.
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

    "And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

    "Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

  15. #15
    Lieutenant Colonel lordofseas's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near a wine bottle...
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quadhelix View Post
    ...right.

    This means that the city was already "pretty banged up" already, because the shield was still working during reentry.
    Yes, but if the shields suddenly failed during re-entry, they would burn up in the atmosphere.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.


    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

  16. #16
    Captain Quadhelix's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,610

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofseas View Post
    Yes, but if the shields suddenly failed during re-entry, they would burn up in the atmosphere.
    I know that. I knew that before you did.

    You're the one who implied that the fact that the city was "pretty banged up" might be the result of a shieldless reentry (here). However, that was never a possibility.
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

    "And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

    "Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

  17. #17
    Lieutenant Colonel lordofseas's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near a wine bottle...
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quadhelix View Post
    I know that. I knew that before you did.

    You're the one who implied that the fact that the city was "pretty banged up" might be the result of a shieldless reentry (here). However, that was never a possibility.
    You're using something I wrote incorrectly and not bothering to fix to attempt to prove your point. My point is, which is on topic, is that it is far less than likely that Atlantis has 3 ZPMs to power it, which is the point of this thread, as the person who asked it is asking if Atlantis has enough power to dial Destiny as "Atlantis is also fully-powered with 3 ZPM's" apparently. Atlantis isn't. Wormhole drive, hyperspace, the dive into the atmosphere, and the entire fight takes away the entire possibility that Atlantis is powered by 3 full ZPMs. However, it does have at least enough energy to cloak.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.


    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

  18. #18
    Major Puddle-Jumper's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The TARDIS... Also UCC...
    Posts
    2,353

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Actually, if the city couldn't put out enough power to power the shields, engines, weapons during a fight because its banged up, then its doubtful it could get enough power through the conduits to maintain a 9 chrevon wormhole.
    I dunno what to put in here now..

  19. #19
    Captain Steelbox's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    1,008

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    The ZPMs have always been seen as the absolute power source. But they are just to much rare to be used like this. three zpms would not be able maintain an connection for more than some microseconds.
    http://email.faxem.com.au/download/files/01445/1279070/iStock_000010944279Small_Header.jpg
    - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

  20. #20
    Second Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Slovenia, EU
    Posts
    286

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Well tbh maybe Atlantis could also try to use solar power. From the last man we know that sheppard managed to come back to present atlantis by powering atlantis shields using solar energy as the primary power source. Maybe if we upgrade the city and it's shields and move it closer to the sun we could get enough solar power to dial destiny?

Similar Threads

  1. Ancients dialing destiny
    By TinyTimm in forum SGU General Discussion
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: December 17th, 2010, 03:33 AM
  2. Just a crazy thought here....about dialing Destiny
    By Tyjos in forum SGU Science and Tech
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: November 18th, 2010, 07:53 PM
  3. dialing destiny from planets
    By apollo22 in forum SGU General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 28th, 2010, 02:28 PM
  4. dialing destiny from a pegasus gate
    By Shinto-Male in forum SGU Science and Tech
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: March 1st, 2010, 08:28 PM
  5. Dialing Destiny From A Ship
    By eliteaceman in forum Earth
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: November 14th, 2009, 05:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •