Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

It has been confirmed that dialing Destiny is not possible using a single ZPM (such as what is available to the SGC from the original replicator takeover bid) - but why not try to dial Destiny from Atlantis.

Atlantis is currently parked on Earth, so they could send many supplies through, and Atlantis is also fully-powered with 3 ZPM's (which provide exponentially more power when you have a full complement) - I can't believe that the "magical energy" provided by a Naquadriah planet (which is never explained fully) is more than 3 ZPM's working together.

How were the Ancients planning on contacting Destiny? Naquadriah was invented by a Goa'uld as an unstable form of Naquadah, which happened well after the Ancients ascended. They must have planned for some way of contacting Destiny.

Originally posted by Descended View Post
    It has been confirmed that dialing Destiny is not possible using a single ZPM (such as what is available to the SGC from the original replicator takeover bid) - but why not try to dial Destiny from Atlantis.

Atlantis is currently parked on Earth, so they could send many supplies through, and Atlantis is also fully-powered with 3 ZPM's (which provide exponentially more power when you have a full complement) - I can't believe that the "magical energy" provided by a Naquadriah planet (which is never explained fully) is more than 3 ZPM's working together.
    No, Atlantis is not powered by 3 fully powered ZPMs.

How were the Ancients planning on contacting Destiny? Naquadriah was invented by a Goa'uld as an unstable form of Naquadah, which happened well after the Ancients ascended. They must have planned for some way of contacting Destiny.
    By the time that the Ancients would have even thought of contacting Destiny, it would have been a closer to Earth. Which means that they could very well do it with a couple of ZPMs, something we don't even have.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Atlantis has the one ZPM which was partially depleted, and the two fresh ZPMs acquired from Todd in "Enemy at the Gate" - they wouldn't have been that exhausted from the hyperspace voyage to the Milky Way - and it is doubtful that the "deus ex machina" wormhole drive would have completely drained them. So there should be 3 working ZPMs on Atlantis still.

Also, if they need another ZPM they could always go recover the one onboard the Tria (the ancient warship in "The Return") since it was shown to have a ZPM and was left out in the inter-galactic void between the Milky Way and Pegasus. (The Daedalus could only transport the Ancient crew, it had no way of taking the ship, so it should still be out there)

Comment

In theory with three ZPM they could contact Destiny but it will never happen for two valid reasons :

1. ZPM are hard to find and they would never take the risk to deplete them for eighty people.
        2. The writers will never allow such an easy way to contact and help Destiny's crew.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Descended View Post
          Atlantis has the one ZPM which was partially depleted, and the two fresh ZPMs acquired from Todd in "Enemy at the Gate" - they wouldn't have been that exhausted from the hyperspace voyage to the Milky Way - and it is doubtful that the "deus ex machina" wormhole drive would have completely drained them. So there should be 3 working ZPMs on Atlantis still.
          Yes, the ZPMs were almost completely depleted because of the wormhole drive.

BECKETT: I don't have enough power. I can keep firing or pull us up. Which is it gonna be?
          WOOLSEY: Thanks for the kind words, Colonel, but I wouldn't pop the champagne just yet. We've lost orbit and Doctor Beckett is unable to compensate. We're going in.

CARTER: Do you have enough shield to survive re-entry?

(Richard looks across to Radek who looks at his screens, then turns and throws up his hands in a despairing "I have absolutely no idea" gesture.)

WOOLSEY: We're about to find out.
          These show that not even a single fully powered ZPM is still available to them. Though the could potentially recover the Drone chair's ZPM, but that leaves them at less than two.

Also, if they need another ZPM they could always go recover the one onboard the Tria (the ancient warship in "The Return") since it was shown to have a ZPM and was left out in the inter-galactic void between the Milky Way and Pegasus. (The Daedalus could only transport the Ancient crew, it had no way of taking the ship, so it should still be out there)
          That was brought back by the Lanteans to Atlantis.
          If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
            Yes, the ZPMs were almost completely depleted because of the wormhole drive.
            These show that not even a single fully powered ZPM is still available to them. Though the could potentially recover the Drone chair's ZPM, but that leaves them at less than two.
            You seem to have missed an important detail:
            DEX: I'm ready to get out of here.

SHEPPARD: Take your time. The city's pretty banged up. Even with the ZeePMs we're not going anywhere for a while.

DEX: And when they've fixed it, d'you really think they're gonna let us take it back to Pegasus?
            Emphasis mine.

In other words, they still have all 3 ZPMs. As for why they were having power trouble during the battle, I would say that that can probably be ascribed to damaged power conduits and the like limiting power flow, rather than any problem with the ZPMs.
            "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
            - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
            - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
            - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
              You seem to have missed an important detail:

Emphasis mine.

In other words, they still have all 3 ZPMs. As for why they were having power trouble during the battle, I would say that that can probably be ascribed to damaged power conduits and the like limiting power flow, rather than any problem with the ZPMs.
              Although it's plural, it does not necessarily mean that there are still 3 Zero Point Modules.

And you're also missing this:

ZELENKA: Actually, that's something I've been wanting to talk to you about. (He gestures down to his computer tablet.) This is something that Rodney's been working on for quite some time. It's an adaptation of an Ancient technology which was abandoned because of instability and enormous power requirements.
              It's less than likely that Atlantis has 2 fully powered Zero Point Modules still.

sigpic

Comment

Although it's plural, it does not necessarily mean that there are still 3 Zero Point Modules.
                But the fact that they expect to be able to use their ZPMs to get back to Pegasus once repairs are complete does imply that they have 3 ZPMs: one for the shield, one for the inertial dampers, and one for the star drive itself.

It's less than likely that Atlantis has 2 fully powered Zero Point Modules still.
                "Enormous power requirements" does not inherently translate to "depletes a ZPM."
                "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."

Comment

But the fact that they expect to be able to use their ZPMs to get back to Pegasus once repairs are complete does imply that they have 3 ZPMs: one for the shield, one for the inertial dampers, and one for the star drive itself.

"Enormous power requirements" does not inherently translate to "depletes a ZPM."
                  True but dispite what Col. sheppard (who is not really an expert on the subject) said, Zelenka wouldn't have bothered to mention the power requirements unless they would use a considerable amount of at least 1 ZPM, and the fact that they had to choose between attacking and engines would indiacate that they are down quite a bit in power... like the city wouldn't be much use if it couldn't power the shields, weapons and engines simulatenously, as it would be virtually useless in space battles..
                  I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                    True but dispite what Col. sheppard (who is not really an expert on the subject) said Zelenka wouldn't have bothered to mention the power requirements unless they would use a considerable amount of at least 1 ZPM
                    The problem with this argument is that:

A) Colonel Sheppard was speaking after the jump and battle. He doesn't have to be an expert, because he has the advantage of knowing what the actual outcome was. Zelenka, on the other hand, was speaking before the jump, meaning that he had to predict the outcome in advance, as opposed to just say what had already happened.

B) Sheppard sounded very much like he was paraphrasing a status report back to Ronan; i.e., he wasn't giving his opinion on the issue, but repeating what the "tech guys" had told him.

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                    , and the fact that they had to choose between attacking and engines would indiacate that they are down quite a bit in power...
                    Which, as I mentioned, is easily explained by the idea that there were damaged power conduits or something along those lines. Remember, "The city's pretty banged up. Even with the ZPMs we're not going anywhere for a while."

Comment

The problem with this argument is that:

A) Colonel Sheppard was speaking after the jump and battle. He doesn't have to be an expert, because he has the advantage of knowing what the actual outcome was. Zelenka, on the other hand, was speaking before the jump, meaning that he had to predict the outcome in advance, as opposed to just say what had already happened.

B) Sheppard sounded very much like he was paraphrasing a status report back to Ronan; i.e., he wasn't giving his opinion on the issue, but repeating what the "tech guys" had told him.
                      A) True.

B) That's conjecture. It is, nevertheless, an assumption.

Which, as I mentioned, is easily explained by the idea that there were damaged power conduits or something along those lines. Remember, "The city's pretty banged up. Even with the ZPMs we're not going anywhere for a while."
                      And remember, that's after re-entry. A re-entry in which Zelenka had no idea if they could survive because of the lack of shield.

sigpic

Comment

B) That's conjecture. It is, nevertheless, an assumption.
                        An assumption? Perhaps, but not an unreasonable one, given the circumstances.

And remember, that's after re-entry. A re-entry in which Zelenka had no idea if they could survive because of the lack of shield.
                        That is incorrect; after checking the transcript, I believe that I have found the relevant scene (emphases mine):
                        WOOLSEY: Thanks for the kind words, Colonel, but I wouldn't pop the champagne just yet. We've lost orbit and Doctor Beckett is unable to compensate. We're going in.

CARTER: Do you have enough shield to survive re-entry?

(Richard looks across to Radek who looks at his screens, then turns and throws up his hands in a despairing "I have absolutely no idea" gesture.)

WOOLSEY: We're about to find out.
                        The implication being that if they loose the shield, they die.

Remember "The Storm" and "The Eye" back in Season 1? It was the 2-part episode where they had to get the shield working because a storm threatened to sink the city. In other words, the city isn't surviving reentry without the shield.
                        Last edited by Quadhelix; 24 June 2010, 08:41 AM.

Comment

An assumption? Perhaps, but not an unreasonable one, given the circumstances.

That is incorrect; after checking the transcript, I believe that I have found the relevant scene (emphases mine):

The implication being that if they loose the shield, they die.

Remember "The Storm" and "The Eye" back in Season 1? It was the 2-part episode where they had to get the shield working because a storm threatened to sink the city. In other words, the city isn't surviving reentry without the shield.
                          Sorry, I wrote that incorrectly. Zelenka had no idea if they could survive, because he didn't know if they could keep the shield viable.

sigpic

Comment

Sorry, I wrote that incorrectly. Zelenka had no idea if they could survive, because he didn't know if they could keep the shield viable.
                            ...right.

This means that the city was already "pretty banged up" already, because the shield was still working during reentry.

Comment

...right.

This means that the city was already "pretty banged up" already, because the shield was still working during reentry.
                              Yes, but if the shields suddenly failed during re-entry, they would burn up in the atmosphere.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X