Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 95
  1. #41
    Airman
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Still. We can't assume on anything. And going on topic, even if Atlantis had 3 ZPM's it wouldn't be enough. That's the thread point.

  2. #42
    Major Alan Wake's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sipping tea in Digifluid's bed.
    Posts
    2,590

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Even with the ZPM's gone, with Atlantis on earth... they can just hook up as many extra power supplies needed. The Generators are pretty powerful.

  3. #43
    First Lieutenant Col.Ads's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Aboard my Asgard Mothership
    Posts
    759

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Think we can all agree we cant dial from Atlantis, and we cant agree on how many ZPMs are left with power as we just dont know

  4. #44
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,096

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Quote Originally Posted by Col.Ads View Post
    Think we can all agree we cant dial from Atlantis, and we cant agree on how many ZPMs are left with power as we just dont know
    Yes we do know how many ZPM'S are on Atlantis, there are 3. we can also assume that (based on the way batteries work in the real world) all of them still have some form of charge. What we don't know is just how much charge is left in them.

  5. #45
    First Lieutenant Col.Ads's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Aboard my Asgard Mothership
    Posts
    759

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    Yes we do know how many ZPM'S are on Atlantis, there are 3. we can also assume that (based on the way batteries work in the real world) all of them still have some form of charge. What we don't know is just how much charge is left in them.
    Sorry think you have not read through the article, we have been arguing over how much power the 3 zpms have after use of the wormhole drive, we know there are 3 just we dont know how much power was used and how many zpms we have left due to the use of the wormhole drive. But what your saying is what most of us have been, we know how many zpms are supposed to be their just not the power levels due to recent events

  6. #46
    Probie
    Member Since
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Quote Originally Posted by Descended View Post
    How were the Ancients planning on contacting Destiny? Naquadriah was invented by a Goa'uld as an unstable form of Naquadah, which happened well after the Ancients ascended. They must have planned for some way of contacting Destiny.
    I'm not sure of that claim, naquadria is an isotope(or transmutation) of naquadah,

    just to quote
    Naquadria is believed to be artificial (at least on Langara), created by the Goa'uld Thanos some 3,000 years ago in experiments that nearly destroyed the planet.
    http://www.gateworld.net/wiki/Naquadria

    So its not so much created by the Goa'uld, as the Goa'uld discovered a way of converting it. The Ancients would of undoubtedly had similar experiments. Probably looking to increase power released, similar to the "enrichment" of uranium or breeding U238 to create Pu239.

    I thought breeder reactors were capable of turning U238 into U235, but it seems they produce plutonium or thorium instead. so think naquadria is probably a transmuted element.

    the other thing to consider is that naquadria might already be mixed in with naquadah (if its an isotope anyway) however there isn't enough to reach criticality and convert the naquadah to naquadria. (such as the ancient natural nuclear reactors found on earth) at that point there was around 3% U235, its now about 0.72%, so this might well be the case with naquadria

    and its been shown how to make a naquadria planet, find one laced with naquadah, fire a few naquadah/naquadria enhanced bombs on the surface and wait for a 1000 years or so.

    however, I suspect there will be a way to connect to the gate without the need for naquadria (I fail to see how it can provide more power than ZPM, but I'm gonna have a thing on them in a moment as well anyway)

    just one thing, can anyone remember the Galaxy their in/leaving. the reason I ask as the Pegasus galaxy is about 3.5million light years (mly), and it takes about 3 weeks (from memory) that makes the Daedalus capable of doing somewhere in the region of 1/6mly a day (or 7000ly/h) assuming their much further away, (say the Hydra-Centaurus Supercluster which is about 150-200mly away (assume the former for ease of calculations) thats 900 days away, 3 years, long but doable. then a rescue mission could be mounted using a "skeleton crew" ship designed for exploration (new destiny....) with space for the hydroponics required to sustain a population for the journey. it still allows for a long story arc, but also provides a feasibly realistic ending for the show.

  7. #47
    First Lieutenant Col.Ads's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Aboard my Asgard Mothership
    Posts
    759

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Quote Originally Posted by PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn View Post
    just one thing, can anyone remember the Galaxy their in/leaving. the reason I ask as the Pegasus galaxy is about 3.5million light years (mly), and it takes about 3 weeks (from memory) that makes the Daedalus capable of doing somewhere in the region of 1/6mly a day (or 7000ly/h) assuming their much further away, (say the Hydra-Centaurus Supercluster which is about 150-200mly away (assume the former for ease of calculations) thats 900 days away, 3 years, long but doable. then a rescue mission could be mounted using a "skeleton crew" ship designed for exploration (new destiny....) with space for the hydroponics required to sustain a population for the journey. it still allows for a long story arc, but also provides a feasibly realistic ending for the show.

    I had a simular timescale in terms of mounting a rescue mission using a skeleton crew, but again my and your assumption is that Destiny is just past or in the HCS somewhere, really would be nice to see the full travel map Destiny took. I also think an Asgard Replicator would be a very useful bit of technology in the mission which would eliminate any supply needs.

    In terms of ending the show, I cant see any with Destiny ending up in orbit over Earth at present, Im kind of thinking an ending similar to voyager could happen though

  8. #48
    Lieutenant Colonel rushy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    4,464

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    HEY!!!!! Do you guys remember what it took to get to Destiny from Icarus? The destruction of a planet. I don't know how the Ancients got to Destiny but they need a hell of a lot more power than 3 ZPM's!

  9. #49
    First Lieutenant Mike.'s Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Risa
    Posts
    926

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Quote Originally Posted by rushy View Post
    HEY!!!!! Do you guys remember what it took to get to Destiny from Icarus? The destruction of a planet. I don't know how the Ancients got to Destiny but they need a hell of a lot more power than 3 ZPM's!
    To be fair that's not a really accurate comparison - a single ZPM can blow up a solar system.
    Carter:"The singularity is about to explode!"

  10. #50
    Second Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Slovenia, EU
    Posts
    286

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Destiny starting point was Earth, so I dont know why we even discus Icarus class planets.

  11. #51
    Airman
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Because, the 2 sucessfull connection made to Destiny were made from an Icarus planet.

  12. #52
    Second Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Slovenia, EU
    Posts
    286

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    I know that, but I'm asking because this is not reply on what the question was about.

  13. #53
    Second Lieutenant morsu's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brisbane. Australia
    Posts
    336

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofseas View Post
    A) True.

    B) That's conjecture. It is, nevertheless, an assumption.



    And remember, that's after re-entry. A re-entry in which Zelenka had no idea if they could survive because of the lack of shield.
    I disagree with you assumption on this matter, just because he didnt know if the shield could hold up doesnt necessarily mean that there wasn't enough power, just that they didn't have enough time to reset the shields. when you bombard the shields over and over again like the wraith were it tends to weaken them not becacuase of the power requirements but because of the sheer frequency of the assult. sheild generators can become overloaded and it does not matter how much power you can pump into them. This is why the shields have to be reset from time to time. Also the shields were untested against the zpm boosted weapons.

  14. #54
    Second Lieutenant morsu's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brisbane. Australia
    Posts
    336

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Just 1 more thing to add, at the time they were getting bombarded by the weapons they were already skimming the atmosphere which means the shields were getting smashed on two fronts. i do not believe this is something the city would have been designed for. it was a tacticle error to put youself inbetween the wraith and the earth.

  15. #55
    Second Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Slovenia, EU
    Posts
    286

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    That was tbh the only way they could prevent the bombardment of the planet

  16. #56
    Captain tomstone's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,432

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    I know that Earth cant build their own ZPMs so far, but its gotta be possible. The Replicators build a whole bunch of them to power their Citys.

    I guess the Thread came so far that Atlantis with 3 ZPMs still wouldnt make it, but if the People on earth would learn how to produce these modules. This should give them enough power.

  17. #57
    Lieutenant Colonel lordofseas's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near a wine bottle...
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Quote Originally Posted by morsu View Post
    I disagree with you assumption on this matter, just because he didnt know if the shield could hold up doesnt necessarily mean that there wasn't enough power, just that they didn't have enough time to reset the shields. when you bombard the shields over and over again like the wraith were it tends to weaken them not becacuase of the power requirements but because of the sheer frequency of the assult. sheild generators can become overloaded and it does not matter how much power you can pump into them. This is why the shields have to be reset from time to time. Also the shields were untested against the zpm boosted weapons.
    ...reset the shields? Absolutely nothing, IIRC, says that the shields need to be reset because of any Assault. By your own idea, Atlantis should have been destroyed when the Wraith bombarded it 10000 years ago, because of the pressure of the Ocean with the Wraith weapons. The shields don't weaken, the Ancient shields don't work like that. The Ancient shields (on Atlantis) work in a manner, in that they will always be at full strength, until the power runs out. There isn't a "reset" button, or a recharge like on Asgard shields.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.


    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

  18. #58
    Captain Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Leeds,West Yorkshire, U.K
    Posts
    1,132

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    If 3 ZPMs can dail Destiny then ask todd for more .

  19. #59
    Second Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Slovenia, EU
    Posts
    286

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    what if we can make ZPM's in the city, but we never found the lab? Otherwise yes, Todd possibly has 2 or 3 more ZPM's and that way we could get some more power to get people there? but what about back?

  20. #60
    Airman
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

    Quote Originally Posted by comperius View Post
    what if we can make ZPM's in the city, but we never found the lab? Otherwise yes, Todd possibly has 2 or 3 more ZPM's and that way we could get some more power to get people there? but what about back?
    True... How did the ancients create ZPMs anyway?

Similar Threads

  1. Ancients dialing destiny
    By TinyTimm in forum SGU General Discussion
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: December 17th, 2010, 02:33 AM
  2. Just a crazy thought here....about dialing Destiny
    By Tyjos in forum SGU Science and Tech
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: November 18th, 2010, 06:53 PM
  3. dialing destiny from planets
    By apollo22 in forum SGU General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 28th, 2010, 01:28 PM
  4. dialing destiny from a pegasus gate
    By Shinto-Male in forum SGU Science and Tech
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: March 1st, 2010, 07:28 PM
  5. Dialing Destiny From A Ship
    By eliteaceman in forum Earth
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: November 14th, 2009, 04:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •