Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Dialing Destiny from Atlantis?

Quote Originally Posted by comperius View Post
    Well tbh maybe Atlantis could also try to use solar power. From the last man we know that sheppard managed to come back to present atlantis by powering atlantis shields using solar energy as the primary power source. Maybe if we upgrade the city and it's shields and move it closer to the sun we could get enough solar power to dial destiny?
    I don't know if we could possibly upgrade the height of the Ancient's technology.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
    Actually, if the city couldn't put out enough power to power the shields, engines, weapons during a fight because its banged up, then its doubtful it could get enough power through the conduits to maintain a 9 chrevon wormhole.
    Possibly, but don't forget the primary purpose of atlantis is to be a city, not a flying warship. I think it's within the realm of possibility that if Atlantis was grounded, repaired and not using it's shields it could connect to Destiny, I just don't see it happening in SGU however.

Second Lieutenant

so what if it was designed as a city? it can still fly in space so there is no reason why fully powered shields and modified solar power collectors in combination with 3 ZPM's could not dail Destiny for few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by comperius View Post
    so what if it was designed as a city? it can still fly in space so there is no reason why fully powered shields and modified solar power collectors in combination with 3 ZPM's could not dail Destiny for few minutes.
    Granted, Atlantis could most likely fly into space. But there is not 3 fully functional ZPMs in the city. And why make Atlantis go near the sun, when you could rip the components from Atlantis and equip them to the Daedalus?
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!

Sorry got abit of a peeve with a few posts on this article.

Atlantis as we last saw it have 3 functional ZPM's there is nothing to suggest any of them have been depleated or no longer functional, yes the wormhole drive would have used massive amounts of power however we do not know how much was used thus we cannot suggest anything until we know otherwise.

In regards to Destiny getting closer to earth, I dont think that could ever happen. The Ancients set Destiny out on a course that is effectivly will never bring it back to earth unless its doing a U turn somewhere, assuming it does a U turn it may someday return to Earth or wherever it was launched in the Milky Way, However the emphasis is that it will just get further and further away. That in mind it is curious that the Ancients did not anticipate the power requirements needed to dial Destiny at its current location or further into the universe.

Airman

Maybe they anticipated the power requirements. However the Destiny journey would probably be a one way only? By the time they were set to send the Ancients to the ship, while it was in good range, the war with the Wraith started, and they couldn't keep the project going. So they just left the ship wandering in the pre-defined course, unmaned. Also note, the crue can get everything from the planets they stop by, so that's an example that they wouldn't connect to them from Earth, or any other place, in order to send supplies or any other items.
    We can all agree that Atlantis is powered by 3 ZPM's, in EATG. They aren't completely full, but since there is a cloak, there must be power.
    Still, I don't think 3ZPM's would be enough to dial Destiny, at least to maintain a stable wormhole, for a certain period of time. I also think that, they would prioritize the use of the ZPM's. They can't leave the city stranded there forever. So no, they wouldn't spend the 3ZPMs on 80 people.

I do believe, however, that a Naquadriah planet will be found and a link will be made to the Destiny, but only in a later stage of the series.

Also, the Ancients planned a mean of communication with the ship, just not direct. The stones serve the purpose entirely. The crue would use them to report on the status, and on the discoveries.

Quote Originally Posted by RCOO View Post
    Maybe they anticipated the power requirements. However the Destiny journey would probably be a one way only? By the time they were set to send the Ancients to the ship, while it was in good range, the war with the Wraith started, and they couldn't keep the project going. So they just left the ship wandering in the pre-defined course, unmaned. Also note, the crue can get everything from the planets they stop by, so that's an example that they wouldn't connect to them from Earth, or any other place, in order to send supplies or any other items.
    We can all agree that Atlantis is powered by 3 ZPM's, in EATG. They aren't completely full, but since there is a cloak, there must be power.
    Still, I don't think 3ZPM's would be enough to dial Destiny, at least to maintain a stable wormhole, for a certain period of time. I also think that, they would prioritize the use of the ZPM's. They can't leave the city stranded there forever. So no, they wouldn't spend the 3ZPMs on 80 people.

I do believe, however, that a Naquadriah planet will be found and a link will be made to the Destiny, but only in a later stage of the series.

Also, the Ancients planned a mean of communication with the ship, just not direct. The stones serve the purpose entirely. The crue would use them to report on the status, and on the discoveries.
    No, we can't.

Quote Originally Posted by lordofseas View Post
    No, we can't.
    yes, we can

Airman

Yea. I think so too. They can be at minimal charge, but they still have some power left.

Quote Originally Posted by General Jumper One View Post
    yes, we can
    Really. Because I think I'm part of a collective, and I say "No", so through my logic, we all can't agree on if there's 3 ZPMs still working in Atlantis.

Yea. I think so too. They can be at minimal charge, but they still have some power left.
    So, idealistically, there's only 1 ZPM worth on Atlantis, no?

Airman

[QUOTE=lordofseas;11660274
    So, idealistically, there's only 1 ZPM worth on Atlantis, no?[/QUOTE]

No. If each ZPM can hold 100% and 60% was wasted, on each ZPM that leaves 40% on each ZPM. 40%x3=120%. So there is more then 1 ZPM in Atlantis.

Airman

Imagine that each ZPM represents 100%, and that the city lost 60% on each ZPM. It's left 40% x 3= 120%. Which is more then 1 ZPM. You can deduce a lot of power was spent, but 60% on each ZPM is a lot, but the lefting energy would still be enough for 1 ZPM and a bit of another one. This tiny bit (20%) alone, would be able to take on the citys basic needs. Cloak, gate to pegasus rarely(?), etc..

Really. Because I think I'm part of a collective, and I say "No", so through my logic, we all can't agree on if there's 3 ZPMs still working in Atlantis.

So, idealistically, there's only 1 ZPM worth on Atlantis, no?
    Could be 1/2 a ZPM could be 2 1/2 ZPM we know power was used and that we dont have 3 fully powered zpms, however we dont know how much power was left in any of them. therefore we cannot ideally comment

Airman

Still, the conclusion we can draw is that, even if Atlantis had the 3 full ZPM's, it wouldn't be able to connect to Destiny. The power requirements are huge and I don't believe 3ZPM's would cut it. Maybe send a message, like Atlantis did in the end of Season 1, but even that is wishfull thinking, and useless since they have Communication Stones.

Imagine that each ZPM represents 100%, and that the city lost 60% on each ZPM. It's left 40% x 3= 120%. Which is more then 1 ZPM. You can deduce a lot of power was spent, but 60% on each ZPM is a lot, but the lefting energy would still be enough for 1 ZPM and a bit of another one. This tiny bit (20%) alone, would be able to take on the citys basic needs. Cloak, gate to pegasus rarely(?), etc..
    Imagine that each ZPM represents 100%, and that the city lost 90% on each ZPM. What's left is 10% * 3 = 30%. Which is less than a ZPM module. You can deduce a lot of power was spent, and seeing as 90% on each ZPM is a lot, and Atlantis still has the capability to cloak, Gate to Pegasus, etcetera. [/mockery] Oh look it! I can do math! [/sarcasm]

Quote Originally Posted by Col.Ads View Post
    Could be 1/2 a ZPM could be 2 1/2 ZPM we know power was used and that we dont have 3 fully powered zpms, however we dont know how much power was left in any of them. therefore we cannot ideally comment
    Ok. We know it takes 1 ZPM to cloak the city, correct? So that's at least a ZPM. However, Dr. Beckett wasn't able to compensate for the gravitation pull of Earth to make a landing. Now, we know from First Strike that it took more than a ZPM to get Atlantis out of the gravitational pull of Lantea, so it would seem logical that as Beckett couldn't, there would be a ZPM or so left. No, the only possible way that I could ever imagine Atlantis dialling Destiny is if you moved it directly beside the accretion disk of a black hole. <mod snip>
    Last edited by Skydiver; June 30th, 2010 at 03:44 AM.

Airman

Well, 60% per ZPM is also a lot, and would still leave about 120%, 1ZPM and 20% of another one. We can't draw any conclusions.

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

Folks

Please realize you're talking about fictional tech on a fictional show....dial back the name calling and defensiveness. This is supposed to be fun, not a doctorial dissertation.

Well, 60% per ZPM is also a lot, and would still leave about 120%, 1ZPM and 20% of another one. We can't draw any conclusions.
    You're taking numbers from nowhere. I'm using logic for my conjectures.

Airman

Imagine that each ZPM represents 100%, and that the city lost 90% on each ZPM. What's left is 10% * 3 = 30%. Which is less than a ZPM module. You can deduce a lot of power was spent, and seeing as 90% on each ZPM is a lot, and Atlantis still has the capability to cloak, Gate to Pegasus, etcetera. [/mockery] Oh look it! I can do math! [/sarcasm]
    This is a conjecture aswell. You assumed they wasted 90%. I simply assumed they used 60%. We both assumed, and I only got my numbers as an illustration that you're idea of the 90% could be wrong. The definition of "a lot" refering to power consuption is the real discussion. We don't know what "a lot" represents and we both gave examples of possible cenarios, knowing no information about it. I also used logic, to show you there is another side to the question.

This is a conjecture aswell. You assumed they wasted 90%. I simply assumed they used 60%. We both assumed, and I only got my numbers as an illustration that you're idea of the 90% could be wrong. The definition of "a lot" refering to power consuption is the real discussion. We don't know what "a lot" represents and we both gave examples of possible cenarios, knowing no information about it. I also used logic, to show you there is another side to the question.
    I was being sarcastic, mocking you for your assumptions.