Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many "quips" RDA came up with "ad-lib" on SG1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many "quips" RDA came up with "ad-lib" on SG1?

On the SGU thread somebody post an excerpt from JM blog mentioning RDA appearances on SGU:
    1. I love seeing Richard Dean Anderson as Jack O’Neill. I’m sort of curious, though. He has brought a lot of humorous elements to the shows. Are his quips scripted, or does he ad-lib a lot of his lines? I may be totally wrong about this, but I thought I read in an interview that a lot of the stuff he does onscreen is basically made up on the spot (particularly in the later seasons of SG-1.)

Answers: 1. I’d say roughly half of Rick’s quips are ad-libs – like the “I know what makes me special.” and wrong-way walk-out in Subversion. He’s a funny guy.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ag-day-872ish/
    I think it's something pretty incredible I didn't know about. I know he was a good actor with a good comic timing but didn't know he came up with a lot of stuff O'Neill does.

I know wonder how many stuff RDA came up with "ad-lib"?

Maybe some people read or heard about it in interviews and such. Does any body got any others examples on SG1 like the "I know what make me special" or the turning the wrong way in the alley?
    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
    On the SGU thread somebody post an excerpt from JM blog mentioning RDA appearances on SGU:

I think it's something pretty incredible I didn't know about. I know he was a good actor with a good comic timing but didn't know he came up with a lot of stuff O'Neill does.

I know wonder how many stuff RDA came up with "ad-lib"?

Maybe some people read or heard about it in interviews and such. Does any body got any others examples on SG1 like the "I know what make me special" or the turning the wrong way in the alley?
    I know he ad-libbed the line "Who's your daddy?!" in New Order, Part 2 which I damn neared LMAO when I heard the first time. I'm not sure but I think he ad - libbed the line "yeah I think that went well" in the episode The Shroud according to the episodes director series.
    Last edited by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard; 18 June 2010, 03:11 AM.

Comment

I think a LOT of jack's quips were Rick goofing off.

Rick had the attitude that if you can't have fun at work, you don't need to be working.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

Rick had the attitude that if you can't have fun at work, you don't need to be working.
        Now tell that to people who decided to become accountant.
        Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I know in "The Return" he ad-libbed the line "I like to close my eyes and think of England" which was hilarious imo. Martin Gero had written the line as a reference to the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man from GhostBusters. I think the England line was better.

Perfecto!

Comment

I think I read, or saw on the DVDs, that he ad-libbed the line,

".. and something about twins?"

When he first woke up on Thor's ship in Lost City Pt.2

Comment

Season 7 episode 1, they are searching for the Lost City, and a native says, "Is he a Jaffa?"

RDA says, "No, he just plays one on TV."

I imagine that was ad-lib.

Comment

I heard the remark about the sushi in fire & water was an ad-lib and Shanks just responded.

But it's like how many licks to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? The world may never know.

Comment

Clearly, you've never met my BIL, the CPA. People ask to be on his Xmas card list because his family letter is so funny.

Seaboe
                  If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

RDA and Shanks ad-libbed the scene in Nemisis where Daniel is recoupering from surgery.
                    Shanks really did have Appendicitis, so the writers wrote it in the story-line as a in-joke.

Comment

I heard (somewhere... who knows where) that RDA ad-libbed the "I'm Mr. Starsky, and this is Hutch" line in Chain Reaction.

Also, the scene where Jack and Daniel were rolling a tennis ball back and forth in Enemies. The way I heard it, RDA used to carry the tennis ball and toss it around when the cameras weren't rolling, but RDA and MS were goofing off and added it in the scene.

On a related note, Michael Shanks said he ad-libbed the line: "And you might have gotten away with it, too, if it wasn't for us meddling kids" in Bounty.
                      Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                      Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

He's a brilliant actor. Everything from his expressions to his impeccable comic timing is just, perfect. He also seems like the type of guy you'd want to hang out with all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

and plenty of times during the audio commentys the producers will point out the ad-lib's
                          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

im an accountant and not a day goes by that i dont laugh at work...

rda has great comedic timing and jacks one liners are classic... he is great at ad-libbing and yet having a scene that just flows as those around him role with the punches...
                            "...but I think if I were to describe myself in pure feminist forms, I would say I want equality. We want respect not because we're women, but simply because we're human beings..." AT 'Live peace. Speak kindness. Dwell in possibility.'

Comment

Working...
                            X