Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you accept main characters switch/recasting for SGU's survival?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you accept main characters switch/recasting for SGU's survival?

I was reading this article about the recasting of the 2 out of 3 female lead on Criminal Minds:

http://www.deadline.com/2010/06/cbs-...ds-trims-cast/

And I was wondering if this could be possible for a sci-fi show like SGU. As you know many tv shows and sci-fi shows get cancelled after a few seasons because of the increase production costs. Which I suppose a big part goes to the salary increase of the actors. Some show maintain steady ratings 3 seasons in a row, but still get canceled as if the network was tired of them or something.

So would you accept for the character of SGU to be booted off the show and be replace by new characters? For example, Young and Scott die in an accident, an appreciated member of the LA takes over. (Or whatever replacement you can think of). Also a new young pilot would be put forward. Not a commandant, but energic dude with a love for action and excitement (my point is obviously they would be different characters).

This solution to the increase production cost would certainly please people who always want main characters to die (I don't know why, but they seems to like it). Well, I think. As the fact than if any characters can die, or ascended, or whatever, it add more uncertainty to the show. "Who would have thought Rush could die", some people would say, "Wow!! It's astonishing". My point, not just characters you don't like goes as it would be a creative decision (in TV language it means financial decision).

Some others may not like it, but what if it could keep SGU on the air for more than 2 or 3 seasons?
    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

As long as the death of a character makes sense to the story line, I'm fine with it. It has to be an impactful event that fits in really well for it to work. The same concept applies to new main characters popping up. For example, in season 2, it would make sense if one of the LA members became a regular or recurring character on the show.

Also don't make the same mistakes as in SGA with the whole Weir deal. That was terribly handled and I hope they've learned from that. Unfinished storylines are the worst.
    sigpic

Comment

First thought - No.
      Especially if it's just done out of appeasing and not one that occurs because the story is headed that way or because an actor dies in real life or has some sort of obligation. Several posters have already mentioned that having a character just killed off kind of sucked and I have to agree with that, again, especially if it makes no sense from a story point of view.
      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I also say no when Daniel died the first time I refused to watch the 6th season of SG1( i watched it later) and I didnt watched SG1 till Daniel was back. I hope that this dont happen in SGU and I would make the same mistake ( in the end I have to admit that the 6th season is not soooo bad)
        sigpic

Comment

I think if a character death is handled like Grodin in SGA season 1, thats fine (although he wasn't a major character)... when its handled like Ford with the last disappearance its terrible.

Comment

Theres not a lot of actors on that set that can ask for a big pay upgrade, most of them are just passing by, and the regular ones (except for Carlyle) aren't that big that in a few years, the production wont be able to afford them, unless something big happens to their careers in the off seasons. Its absolutely normal for a show like Stargate to cast not very well known and young actors, you add to that a big name and you have an interesting product.

People tend to make the actors of their favorite TV shows bigger than they really are. For most of them, this is the first big opportunity of their life, where they have the chance to develop a character across many seasons. A few of them have been around for a while but could never make it big and decided to take a chance on a well known franchise to jump start their careers, and regular work isnt bad either.

Then theres Carlyle. I thank my god everyday that this genius accepted the role. SGU wouldn't be the same without him.

Comment

The interesting thing about SGU for me is that with the stones you can have the same actor play a completely different role.

Comment

In principle no I wouldn't mind at all, in fact I think its an interesting change that shows don't do too often for obvious reasons.

That said, I really don't want the show to lose Rush or Young. Rush has been a great character, Young has been good but I think he'd be as good as Rush if he was a bit less reserved in his emotional reactions - I'd like to see the pissed off side of him more often.

Comment

If the characters are the main issue with what's driving viewers away then yes, if it's not the characters but the writing of the characters then I suspect it would be a case of shiny new faces, same old problems

Comment

I think after a couple of seasons, all the characters are pretty established. I was pretty upset when Daniel died the first time in SG-1 too, and I wouldn't want to see that happen with SGU. I don't mind adding to the cast, but definitely don't take away
                    sigpic

Comment

I have been advocating a reduction in the principle cast for as long as the show's been on air. The show is all about Young and Rush, so I'd be all for killing off or reducing the appearances of the rest of the main credits list. If they do what they did with Ming-Na in the first half of the season, and only have certain characters appear for certain storylines, I'll be totally fine with that. They really don't need to shoehorn Wray, Scott, Greer, Eli, Chloe or TJ into every episode, even if it's for 30 seconds of being in the frame, doing nothing of value.

If they go for a more final solution, and kill characters off, as long as they do it with class (for a dramatic reason), then again, totally fine with it. Character deaths should move the story along, and not happen off screen unless...

Recasting, however, is a big no-no. If an actor dies in real life, their character should die/be written off as a token of respect to the person playing them. Even if they replace background mooks with the likes of Robert Redford, then I'd be miffed.

Comment

It would all depend on what character is killed off and what his death meant for the show. If its some random death (I'm looking at you Carson) then I am probably going to think it was a bad idea
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Of course I'm going to accept it - what the hell else would I do? Build a time machine?
                          ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

That article is unfortunate because I think the cast of Criminal Minds is one of the best on TV today. Tampering with the great chemistry of the current cast for "creative reasons" is foolish and short-sighted and I wouldn't be surprised to see such a move backfire.

Anyway, regarding SGU, the only way I can see recasting the main characters, or exchanging them for new characters, increasing ratings is if the current actors were the reason for SGU's less than stellar ratings. If the problem is with the writing, then bringing in new actors/characters only to be written by the same writers, would likely yield the same disappointing results.
                            sigpic
                            Sig by Luciana

Comment

As long as it fits in the storyline then I’m all for it. The important thing is to show the impact of the death. The death scene itself doesn’t have to be grand and epic, some of my favourite shows have offed characters in brutal, harsh and quite random ways, just as in real life. It would actually be awesome imo if for example a major character like Scott was killed in a random minor skirmish with the LA during season 2 or a sudden encounter with a hostile alien. Then show the effects, show how it effects all the characters and how it effects the power structure on the ship.

I think it’s important than some of the cast from the first ep remain in the series finale, but I want a few casualties on the way.

Comment

Working...
                              X