No announcement yet.

The Big Bang (3113/513)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can you see an entire universe moving?

Indeed, does the TARDIS interior itself move at all? Or is it a fixed point, and only the shell moves?

It's not as if the interior of the TARDIS is just invisible, beyond the TARDIS exterior shell... it's in another dimension. Can you see all of this dimension all at once?

As for jettisoning part of the TARDIS, this was done in Logopolis to give the TARDIS more power - which I gathered to be that it was used almost as fuel... Was then again done in the following story, Castrovalva, but a full 1/4 of the TARDIS burned up.
    back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
      How can you see an entire universe moving?

Indeed, does the TARDIS interior itself move at all? Or is it a fixed point, and only the shell moves?

It's not as if the interior of the TARDIS is just invisible, beyond the TARDIS exterior shell... it's in another dimension. Can you see all of this dimension all at once?

As for jettisoning part of the TARDIS, this was done in Logopolis to give the TARDIS more power - which I gathered to be that it was used almost as fuel... Was then again done in the following story, Castrovalva, but a full 1/4 of the TARDIS burned up.

Yes but we don't know any of that for fact. It's been hinted at but I would like to think the interior is the actual ship and that the outer shell is the interface to the outside world. I'd also like to think that it isn't infinite at all but maybe hundreds of miles across or maybe a few thousand, but not bloody infinite....
      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

I read through the thread and saw some interesting theories on Series 31 (New S. 5) story arc incongruities. While I don't wish to nitpick the context of time travel, I wanted to touch up on something.

I believe that during the regeneration of the Doctor, the Tardis malfunctioned and, it compensating for its "injuries" while crashing, landed in 1990's London, but in an altered universe. The biggest clue to this crash sequence, of course, was the Tardis doddering through present day (2010) London, as seen by its flight past the London Eye which had been erected in 1999. Whether the Tardis caused the crack to appear or not is a valid question. What can NOT be denied is the fact that in this universe, Amy never had parents, and was raised by an aunt instead of parents and that there was a Crack in the universe.

Obviously, events during this timeline resulted in returning to a past where the universe was changed; otherwise 8, 9, and 10 would have been affected to a significant degree by the Crack. But because of the continuation of the Earth and its relative historical development, despite there being no stars and a "sun" that was powered by the Tardis, the Doctor and crew rebooted the universe, and it ended up being the present day universe, with Amy's mum and dad, along with her raggedy man and toys...which "brought" the Doctor and the Tardis back, presumably from the time it "disappeared" during the regenerating crash.

Am I being too persnickety here? Perhaps. All's fair in love, war, and Dr. Who timelines.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
          I read through the thread and saw some interesting theories on Series 31 (New S. 5) story arc incongruities. While I don't wish to nitpick the context of time travel, I wanted to touch up on something.

I believe that during the regeneration of the Doctor, the Tardis malfunctioned and, it compensating for its "injuries" while crashing, landed in 1990's London, but in an altered universe. The biggest clue to this crash sequence, of course, was the Tardis doddering through present day (2010) London, as seen by its flight past the London Eye which had been erected in 1999. Whether the Tardis caused the crack to appear or not is a valid question. What can NOT be denied is the fact that in this universe, Amy never had parents, and was raised by an aunt instead of parents and that there was a Crack in the universe.

Obviously, events during this timeline resulted in returning to a past where the universe was changed; otherwise 8, 9, and 10 would have been affected to a significant degree by the Crack. But because of the continuation of the Earth and its relative historical development, despite there being no stars and a "sun" that was powered by the Tardis, the Doctor and crew rebooted the universe, and it ended up being the present day universe, with Amy's mum and dad, along with her raggedy man and toys...which "brought" the Doctor and the Tardis back, presumably from the time it "disappeared" during the regenerating crash.

Am I being too persnickety here? Perhaps. All's fair in love, war, and Dr. Who timelines.

That's interesting I like that.. I like that a lot.

But the whole exploding TARDIS hasn't been fully resolved now has it still?
          Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Interesting episode. All the timejumping gave me a headache, but never mind.
            sigpic

Comment

Watched the episode the other day for the first time for a while. Forgotten how much I enjoy it. I understand people wanting to analyse and study the "science" but for me Doctor Who is fantasy and there isen't too much science involved.

It was a perfect season finale.

I agree that the universe that the TARDIS came into with "new" Eleven was not ours. The rebooted universe is not ours either I think. But it is a head buster. Easier to just go alone for the ride I think !!!

The Deviant Art poster is no longer accurate. I guess that the Series Runners keep changing things. But in the Season 7 episode Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS there is a solar system and sun contained within the TARDIS. So - the TARDIS is infinite - or very nearly !
              Last edited by Tristen1; 14 June 2013, 11:17 AM. Reason: adding

Comment

Originally posted by Tristen1 View Post
                I understand people wanting to analyse and study the "science" but for me Doctor Who is fantasy and there isen't too much science involved.
                Exactly. Doctor Who is a fantasy adventure masquerading as science fiction. The show isn't remotely bound to natural laws. It doesn't even try to be scientifically plausible. Some shows, I can't forgive them for that. Other shows, I can forgive the implausibility if it has strong enough stories, characters, and production values. I love Doctor Who, but trying to validate its "science" is a fool's errand.

(Even scientifically absurd shows should adhere to their own established rules. I totally understand evaluating it for internal coherence.)

Comment

Lol. Near the beginning of the Ep where Amy meets young Amy, a member of the camera crew can be briefly seen. Around 13 min in. It's when Amy picks herself up off the floor to measure the height of little Amy (and picks up her hair). If you focus on the right side of the screen. As the camera is zooming out you can see the shadow of a person who quickly walks away.

sigpic
                  Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                  https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Working...
                  X