• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Big Bang (3113/513)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 31
    THE BIG BANG
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3113 (513)

With the Doctor trapped and reality collapsing all around them, it's up to Rory and Amy to rescue the Time Lord and save the universe -- starting with a 7-year-old girl with a crack in her wall.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:58 PM.

Ok..., not what we were expecting at all lol
    Was quite a good episode, not as good as the Pandorica Opens i think, but it was still very good
    Lots of nice twists and turns
    And Rory is back!! Glad hes back to normal and travelling with us again
    Thought t was a very nice touch to show Rorys dedication to Amy by defending her for 2000 years and glad he survived those 2000 years, and now he and Amy are happily married
    It also wasnt your normal finale as in it wasnt action packed with the Doctor correcting everything and defeating an enemy, it does answer some questions and correct everything, but it also leaves many questions which will probably be answered next season
    But now it begs the question how did he get back?? and who caused the cracks as we didnt find out who it was?
    Standard of this series has been very high and it has been very good, for me, not one disappointing episode, hopefully next season is as good, if not better!

Roll on the Christmas Special lol
    Last edited by Teddybrown; 26 June 2010, 10:48 AM.

Comment

10/10 Wow!!! Just a fantastic conclusion to this 2-part spectacular!!! Very clever writing from Steven Moffat which got fantastic performances from Matt, Karen, Alex, and Arthur!!!

Roll on Christmas!!! GERONIMO!!!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
      K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

A lot of things answered. A few more hints about River and a mystery still remaining
        A brilliant conclusion to the season.

- The opening with Amy in the Pandorica left me (and my mum) completely speechless -The anomalies of history, penguins in the Nile? Dinosaurs on Ice? o.O
        - And Rory! Guarding Amy and the Pandorica for 2000 years. I admit to shrieking with delight when he was still there and not dead from defending it
        -Stone dalek!
        - River is apparently so terrifying that she makes daleks beg for mercy She just got a lot more scary.
        -Doctor's last message before he took the Pandorica into the exploding Tardis.
        - Amy's wedding!! How brilliant would it be if your imaginary friend came to your wedding?
        - The Doctor in a fez. 'nough said there.

And the fan theory of two Doctors was right! Also I wouldn't have guessed what happened to Amy's parents and it's good for her that she got them back. The power of memories!

And can I say, Amy and Rory get to have the ultimate honeymoon
        If found, is probably lost on the way to Azaroth or the Pegasus Galaxy
        sigpic

Comment

Words fail me..... That was absolutely brilliant!!!!!!!! 10/10. Can't think of anything more sensible to say at the moment.

Comment

Very good stuff. Not quite as good as the preceding episode, but still very good. The Doctor zipping through time with the Vortex Manipulator was fun, and some of the lines ("Mr Pond", "Because I'm not human") were excellent. I thought the premise of the episode, that as long as some tiny spark or fragment of something remains, it can be brought back in its entirety, was simultaneously brilliant and dodgy.

I loved that the 'sun' was in fact the TARDIS exploding throughout all of history.

The Doctor's Fez...I thought there was a slight Tommy Cooper resemblance with Matt Smith...

Rory's back!! Proper, flesh and blood Rory! Woo-hoo!! And Auton Rory was awesome and dedicated, too. Rory's quickly becoming my favourite character (other than the Doctor of course).

Good stuff, but something definitely felt off. Loved that we didn't get complete resolution, not sure how the hints of the Christmas special sound (assuming Egyptian Goddess/Orient Express...in space isn't just a red herring), and I think Moffat has a very long term plan for the Silence Will Fall arc. I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't fully resolved by the next series finale.
            And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
            sigpic
            Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Draygon View Post
              A lot of things answered. A few more hints about River and a mystery still remaining
              A brilliant conclusion to the season.

- The opening with Amy in the Pandorica left me (and my mum) completely speechless -The anomalies of history, penguins in the Nile? Dinosaurs on Ice? o.O - I thought it was the halucagenic lipstick, but i was proved wrong and it was a very nice idea, the Doctor zipping through time
              - And Rory! Guarding Amy and the Pandorica for 2000 years. I admit to shrieking with delight when he was still there and not dead from defending it - I too was happy about Rorys dedication to Amy and that he survived his guarding stint
              -Stone dalek!
              - River is apparently so terrifying that she makes daleks beg for mercy She just got a lot more scary. - Moffat has definately got something planned for her, but yeah, if she can make a Dalek beg for mercy, who knows what else shes done, she is a scary one then. Also her chat with the Doctor at the end, something is definately going to happen between her and the Doctor. She has a lot of mystery surrounding her, and her future doesnt sound good. If a Dalek is scared of her, maybe we should be more scared of her then happy to see her every time she arrives, she is nice and helpful and funny with the Doctor, but theres definately a darker side now that we know of
              -Doctor's last message before he took the Pandorica into the exploding Tardis.
              - Amy's wedding!! How brilliant would it be if your imaginary friend came to your wedding?
              - The Doctor in a fez. 'nough said there. - The fez was a nice touch, didnt really contribute to the story but made for a nice laugh to lighten up the episode, shame Amy and River Song didnt agree and blasted it

And the fan theory of two Doctors was right! Also I wouldn't have guessed what happened to Amy's parents and it's good for her that she got them back. The power of memories!

And can I say, Amy and Rory get to have the ultimate honeymoon
              There we go, couldnt be bothered to copy and paste then comment, so just commented in the quote lol

Comment

That was great episode, even though it made my brain melt, lol. I'll have to rewatch it again at some point.

Moffat kind of "pulled a LOST" on us with a few of the unanswered questions
                (Why did only that one Dalek survive for 1,894 years?
                What was the voice that kept saying "silence will fall" in The Pandorica Opens (it sounds damn familiar)?
                What really caused the TARDIS to explode?
                What was that stone slab blocking the TARDIS doors everytime River opened them?
                How did Amy remembering the Doctor right at the end bring him and the TARDIS back into existence?)
                Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

Originally posted by Billz View Post
                  That was great episode, even though it made my brain melt, lol. I'll have to rewatch it again at some point.

Moffat kind of "pulled a LOST" on us with a few of the unanswered questions
                  (Why did only that one Dalek survive for 1,894 years?
                  What was the voice that kept saying "silence will fall" in The Pandorica Opens (it sounds damn familiar)?
                  What really caused the TARDIS to explode?
                  What was that stone slab blocking the TARDIS doors everytime River opened them?
                  How did Amy remembering the Doctor right at the end bring him and the TARDIS back into existence?)
                  In regard to the surviving Dalek, the regenerative light of the Pandorica reached out and brought it back to life (which the Doctor pointed out). Evidently it didn't reach the others.

I think the stone slab thingy was simply the TARDIS entering a lock-down mode, or at least that's how I interpreted it.

The voice is likely to be what the story of season 6 will be about, and I like how it wasn't all revealed. Kinda shows that Moffat can and will do as he pleases with the show and its premise. The Doctor did mention that he didn't know what had pulled the Tardis to that point in time and destroyed it, but aware that 'the universe isn't saved just yet.'

The Doctor implanted a memory of himself into her mind as a 7-year-old just before he closed the cracks. He mentioned in the previous episode that 'if you remember somebody, they can come back'. When he was wiped from existence along with the cracks, he was able to return because Amy remembered him. Because the memory of him exists, then technically he must have existed, so the universe made sure that he did. She mentioned that at the end of her crying wedding interruption.
                  I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                  Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

River Song and The Silence fall into the Series 6 storyline. Doctor Who Confidential.

Comment

Absolutly perfect, total cry/laughfest

Comment

1. Older Amy in the Pandorica. Yeah, wierd.

2. OK, how could younger alternate-Amy remember stars?

3. TARDIS-Sun, won't you come...and wash away the rain...

4. Nice trick from the Doctor.

5. I think the being talking about "silence will fall" was the prisoner from the first ep(at least that was the first character I heard speak the line).

Bit of a jawdropping way to end the season.
                        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Not quite as good as the previous episode, but still pretty good. (Daleks always get a star, just for showing for me )

Slight plot hole though. How did Amy get out of the Pandorica? It's not like 7 year old Amy can break into the perfect prison by herself.

And River: "You'll find out soon", very interesting.
                          Dalek: You are an associate of the Doctor. Records indicate you will show mercy.
                          Song: I'm River Song, you better check your records again.
                          Dalek A moments pause: Mercy!
                          Song: Louder!
                          Dalek louder: Mercy!
                          Song: One more time.
                          Dalek panic: Mercy!!!

Dalek dust drifts away.

Comment

So...big question. Did 'planets in the sky' and the cyberking happen now? Do people remember them? Because if Amy's parents and Rory are back, does that mean everything and everyone, every event the cracks swallowed has been restored?
                            And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Some questions will definately/probably be answered next season and the ones that dont will probably be left for us to decide what happened
                              I like how with this episode, none of us really saw the stuff in the episode coming, except for the Doctor talking to Amy in Flesh and Stone, we all presumed the Doctor got out somehow but we didnt think of him time teleporting back and forth and that Rory let him out and that Amy came out of the Pandorica
                              I think season 6 will be an awesome series what with River Songs mysteries probably being revealed, whoever is saying silence will fall will probably be revealed and their will most definately be more twists and turns to come i reckon
                              Argh 6 months till our next Doctor Who episode, but atleast the games will preoccupy us for a bit as they are released, downloaded the new 1 today, its quite good like the first one
                              But atleast Rory is now alive and well and looks like we will have more of him to come as it looks like he is a companion again
                              Lool, just remembered his punch on the Doctor on the episode, that and him staying guard of the Pandorica for 2000 years really does show his devotion to Amy which was really nice to see
                              Definately need to rewatch this episode as was concentrating on trying to understand some stuff, that i missed other stuff, also want to refresh myself on some parts, like what River Song said to the Doctor at the end

EDIT:: Hmm, River Song says that she and the Doctor meet up very soon and thats when everything changes and shes sorry, I wonder what that could mean and what shes sorry for and what changes?
                              Shes definately done something very bad as when the Dalek scans her, it seems actually terrified for once and begs for mercy, so wonder why and what that is
                              Hopefully we find out soon ie next season...
                              Last edited by Teddybrown; 26 June 2010, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X