• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Pandorica Opens (3112/512)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 31
    THE PANDORICA OPENS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3112 (512)

A terrible warning from River Song draws the Doctor to Stonehenge in the second century, where the most feared races in the galaxy converge upon the secret of the Pandorica -- a secret prison that is now opening.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:57 PM.

What? WHAT? WHAT??

I mean...I...but...they can't....

So...every single one of the Doctor's enemies working together to trap their single common foe, because they knew that individually, they stood no chance? A scenario, constructed from Amy's mind and memories...and River may just have detonated the TARDIS engines?!?!?!
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Bloody hell!
      Thats what i was just thinking Sealurk lol
      That was an amazing episode
      All the baddies in the universe coming together in one allliance trying to be the good guys for once trying to stop the Doctor from destroying the universe but they got it wrong because River Song can pilot it too!
      And Rory is back =) but not as Rory
      So, the Pandorica was made for the Doctor and thats why it was opening, a big elaborate trap for the Doctor set by them
      And River Song destroys the Tardis, seems like it wanted to be destroyed
      Cant wait for next week to see how this is resolved
      Last edited by Teddybrown; 19 June 2010, 10:33 AM.

Comment

OMG!! That was massive!! Brilliant!! Superb!! I'm absolutely overwhelmed at how awesome that was to say anything else at the moment!! I'll be back when I've calmed down from the mind-blowing excitement I'm experiencing right now!!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Wow, definitely impressed by this episode, I loved the complete misdirection with the Pandorica. "The most deadly being in the universe is sealed inside," I've been expecting it to be the Doctor for a while but it never occurred to me that due to it being a Time Travel show, we could actually see him being put in.

I loved Rory's role here, the bit where you discover he's not the real Rory but is just based on Amy's memories was heartbreaking. It's pretty obvious that Amy's going to survive somehow, but I hope fake-Rory does too.

And yet, there is something else going on here that leaves me eagerly anticipating next week. Why does Amy's life make no sense, something many of us noticed as long ago as The Beast Below, why is the TARDIS exploding in the first place and is the jacket swap thing significant or a genuine production error?

Talking of whether things are significant or just a production error, what was with the Silurians being there? I kinda like this theory for a next season storyline and River Song proves that Moffat plans stories in advance, so it could be.

Next season, I totally want a Moffat written Cyberman story, that bit with the head was the creepiest thing Doctor Who has done since Blink and was so much better than every thing they did in the entire RTD tenure other than the Dalek-Cybermen trash talk scene

Comment

Wow!!! That was amazing! I was sure it was the Doctor inside, but never imagined right until the other races all came together that he was going to be put inside.

And River... I *heart* River Song, but who the heck is she??? I have a probably insane idea...

I am desperate for next week.
            sigpic

Comment

Okay, so I've had a few minutes to calm down and assimilate this episode...a bit...and I have to say, that was utterly fantastic. The first two minutes automatically made it the best episode of the season in my opinion, the dialogue was as perfect as ever...and Rory. As many of us hoped/expected, he's back. Sort of. But oh no! He's semi-evil!!

And what the hell happened with the TARDIS? What made it go completely screwy and wrong? How will the Doctor escape the Pandorica? How will Amy survive being shot by plastic-Rory? How many times am I going to watch this episode on iPlayer?!?
              And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
              sigpic
              Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Absolutely stunning! I'm giving that 10/10. I can't begin to say what I loved about it.

I need to watch it again. Right now.

Comment

When the Dalek said "Only the Doctor can pilot the TARDIS", I got a crazy idea that River could actually be the Doctor. But then I understood it's impossible.

Comment

Wow, that was EPIC!!! Action, mystery, adventure, laughter and romance all thrown into one! Pure Awesome!

I love the enemy alliance, and really hope to see more of them in the next episode, would really be interesting to see how they all interact. Was great to see so many faces new and old from the revived series, including the Judoon who in my eyes have become a new "classic" monster, love them Rhino's.

Really can't wait for next week, will Amy survive (of course she will, but how?), what happens to the alliance, why did the TRADIS explode, how will the Doctor get out, who's voice was that? And will there be a big reset?
                    sigpic
                    Banner Made By Me for Me
                    The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Wait...was the doctor (not the Doctor) tending to Vincent that bloke off the Credit Expert ads? He certainly looks familiar! EDIT: It is! Howard Lee played both Doctor Gachet and the Credit Expert! The fact that I spent ten minutes looking this up says volumes about my life and personality, and it isn't good!!

So...the TARDIS re-routed the call from Winston Churchill to River Song? Does the TARDIS have it's own agenda? Is this why it was behaving so oddly in this episode?

How old is Liz 10 by the time of River Song raiding the Royal Collection? Beast Below was what, 29th century, and 5145 is 52nd century? Plus she was already three or four centuries old in that episode? Blimey...

"Vortex manipulator, fresh off the wrist of a handsome time agent...I said off the wrist." Don't suppose it could have been that Time Agent, could it? Probably not. But you never know...

Very first words in recorded history: "Hello Sweetie". Genius. Pure, Moffat-y genius.

"I hate good wizards in fairy tales. They always turn out to be him." Brilliant. Love it.
                      Last edited by Sealurk; 19 June 2010, 12:22 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

I liked the Cyberman bit too, seemed to show them in a more weird, and gory light, hopefully if we do get a cyberman episode next season, we could see some more...
                        I also liked how even though it was a very serious episode, that they still got a few laughs put in, as Sealurk quotes
                        I wonder how all the enemies met up and planned their alliegence, and who built the Pandorica
                        Also wonder whos voice it was in the Tardis and whether it has an agenda of its own, ie the wall not letting River Song out. She must survive though because she dies in the library??
                        Two questions though, if it was all of the Doctors enemies, how come the Judoon were there? They arent the Doctors enemy, or were they just trying to ensure the survival of their species, and also, what were the Romans and Rory, and who created them?
                        I thought the scene where the Doctor was put into the Pandorica was very stong, with the music and him begging for them to listen, very powerful scene
                        I think its obvious that Amy will survive, dunno how though, because isnt she signed on for 2 seasons?
                        So many unanswered questions that hopefully are answered in the series finale
                        Cant wait for next week, cant even borrow the Tardis to see what happens because its been destroyed
                        Last edited by Teddybrown; 19 June 2010, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Spoiler:
                          I bet you anything that River Song turns out to be either Romana or The Rani, though made human by a chameleon arch!

River was taught to fly the TARDIS. So was Romana by the Forth Doctor, as well as The Rani just being able to fly a TARDIS anyway. It would also explain (sort of) the other TARDIS sitting on Craig's house in "The Lodger".

I can just see Moffat ending this season like this.
                          It would be a great way to keep Amy from dying, by having her regenerate and not knowing why. Maybe she already did regenerate as a kid? Would be a good way to explain the eye colour change between her as a seven year old and her as she is now instead of just using the "could not find a red haired child with the same eye colour as Karen Gillan", lol.

Yay! Rory is back...as an Auton.
                          And, is it just me, or did the voice that kept saying "Silence Will Fall" sound like Davros.

We were promised Slitheen and Sycorax too. Come on Steven, deliver on those promises! The 10th Doctor never really fought Slitheen so at least let the 11th Doctor have a crack at them! And I would like to see those "cyber ships", especially considering that the New Who Cybermen were from a alternate Earth where advanced space travel hadn't been achieved yet by them.
                          Last edited by Billz; 19 June 2010, 01:08 PM.
                          Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

Ahh, they are Autons, just rewatched the episode, must have missed that
                            Im kind of hoping the Daleks or Davros dont have anything to do with the cracks because they have been the main focus of the finales for a while. (When the Daleks materialized in the chamber, i kind of groaned because i thought they were going to take the main bad guy role till all the other baddies came in)
                            I was also a bit saddened by not seeing the Sycorax or Slitheen, but it didnt really take anything out of the moment for me
                            I would also like to see Cyberships
                            I dont think the voice sounds like Davros, but I cant help but feel ive heard it before
                            Hopefully we may see them next episode

Comment

Well!

Moffet certainly knows how to leave us on a cliffhanger!

And River uses her usual method to contact the Doctor, defacing objects with her slogan "Hello Sweetie" And poor Rory! Discovering he's not really Rory and then failing to overcome his programming and killing Amy! And the Alliance of Evil I shall now refer t it as the Evil League of Evil, just because I can
                              If found, is probably lost on the way to Azaroth or the Pegasus Galaxy
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X