This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the hell is that big dome for?

Apologies if this was raised when the series started, but I felt the need to put this out there and get some ideas going:

That big dome is easily the largest single structure on the whole of Destiny. The pyramid shaped thing is bigger but that is several levels and seems to be divided up, although it is not yet clear whether it has been explored or is currently occupied. But by the number of portholes it is clearly not one big room.

The dome however is one big room, as we saw in the Pilot. I am really looking forward to when someone goes in there in a spacesuit so we can see just what it is used for, although I am not sure how it will be fixed given that massive hole in the bulkhead, but anything is possible. Here is my suggestion:

A repair bay for the shuttles.

I was re-watching the pilot and looking at it on pause and it struck me that if it is circular in design this could be because whatever goes in the middle of the circle is either very important (like a conference room or meeting place) or because it requires access from all sides.

click on the thumbnail to view.
    sgu_102_0201.jpg

The area of the circle is large enough for one of the shuttles to park in, and I think that either the floor retracts or acts like some kind of elevator for a lower level or the roof splits open like the petals on a flower. It probably won't work right now with the gaping hole, but if it could be repaired then maybe this will allow the crew to fly a damaged shuttle into the dome area, seal up after it and then conduct external repairs in a safe environment - without having to put on a suit and go outside.

What do you think? Anybody have any other ideas on what the dome could be intended for?
    "The laws of favours are amongst the most fundamental in the multiverse. The first law is: nobody asks for just one favour; the second request (after the granting of the first favour), prefaced by ‘and can I be really cheeky…?’ is the asking of the second favour. If the aforesaid second request is not granted, the second law ensures that the need for any gratitude for the first favour is nullified, and in accordance with the third law the favour giver has not done any favours at all, and the favour field collapses." - Terry Pratchett.

Mallozzi said we'll find out next season.

Comment

The better question I think is, what the heck happened to cause that damage?

Comment

big honking conference room
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Its the Ancients version of an opium den
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Na. An Orgy room!

Comment

Either an opera theatre or an Ancient IMAX.
              sigpic
              Doci of the BAG

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
                The better question I think is, what the heck happened to cause that damage?
                I assume that the damage was caused by the blue aliens or something else trying to gain access. After all, it would seem to be the most vulnerable point of access (certainly compared to a metal hull) and the easiest way to get in. Whether the attempt was sucessful isn't clear but that doesn't mean someone didn't try.
                "The laws of favours are amongst the most fundamental in the multiverse. The first law is: nobody asks for just one favour; the second request (after the granting of the first favour), prefaced by ‘and can I be really cheeky…?’ is the asking of the second favour. If the aforesaid second request is not granted, the second law ensures that the need for any gratitude for the first favour is nullified, and in accordance with the third law the favour giver has not done any favours at all, and the favour field collapses." - Terry Pratchett.

Comment

Isn't it obvious?

Two walk in, one walks out.
                  sigpic
                  Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

You could have one hell of a game of squash in there...

Comment

I'm going to go with an observatory/conference room or gardens. Maybe that was the room the Ancients intended on building gardens in once they were ready to occupy the ship. That, or a giant snowglobe. You know, as an example to enemies - "this is what happens when you mess with us *veers ship in a zig-zag pattern and shakes up alien bodies floating around*"
                      sigpic

Comment

Pyramid court.
                        All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Dance party!!!!! <("<) <( " )> (>")>
                          Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
                          sigpic

Comment

The ancient also had feng shui and the arcitect just thougt that an high element would be great to the qi
                            sigpic

Comment

It does beg the question what could have caused such serious damage, and indeed what caused all the rest of the damage around the ship?

Except for the holes left by their fighter craft, there's no damage on Destiny from any of the encounters we've seen with the Blue Aliens. As Rush said, they've been attacking it for a while, and always fail because the shield is so strong---and indeed it was stronger before the crew from Icarus started living there.

Comment

Working...
                              X