No announcement yet.

Star Wars: KoToR Game(s) Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a lot of fun with Knights of the Old Republic and Knights of the Old Republic 2. There many things I liked better about the second game (including the characters, if they hadn't run out of content half way through the game); But Kotor 2 was full of flaws, not the least of which was the fact that it was totally incomplete. But there were several other problems too. (A few of the series problems were relatively minor, like I wasn't really crazy about how they tried to make the Sith too similar to the Galactic Empire from the Classic Trilogy, all 3 games seem to suffer from that.)

I hated the Kreia character, all that stuff she constantly prattled on to the exile about was just an endless supply of nonsensical drivel. All the spiel she spouted about the force (that apparently was the case in the game) didn't make any sense at all. Then there was that ending. Ugh.

Frankly though, I was most annoyed they abandoned finishing the trilogy for an MMO. I've played single player and multilayer RPGS and There is nothing quite as immersion breaking as rescuing the same people over and over again with other players. And all the backstory for the game is interesting but full of so many retcons it just doesn't get me excited for it anymore. I didn't want to read a mysterious background paragraph about Revan and the Exile I wanted to play a game about what happened to them. That sure as heck was not the payoff I would have wanted from that cliffhanger ending. Actually I was never particularly happy in general with the way they canonized what happened in both games.
    Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 29 July 2010, 03:43 PM.
    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
      I had a lot of fun with Knights of the Old Republic and Knights of the Old Republic 2. There many things I liked better about the second game (including the characters, if they hadn't run out of content half way through the game); But Kotor 2 was full of flaws, not the least of which was the fact that it was totally incomplete. But there were several other problems too. (A few of the series problems were relatively minor, like I wasn't really crazy about how they tried to make the Sith too similar to the Galactic Empire from the Classic Trilogy, all 3 games seem to suffer from that.)

I hated the Kreia character, all that stuff she constantly prattled on to the exile about was just an endless supply of nonsensical drivel. All the spiel she spouted about the force (that apparently was the case in the game) didn't make any sense at all. Then there was that ending. Ugh.

Frankly though, I was most annoyed they abandoned finishing the trilogy for an MMO. I've played single player and multilayer RPGS and There is nothing quite as immersion breaking as rescuing the same people over and over again with other players. And all the backstory for the game is interesting but full of so many retcons it just doesn't get me excited for it anymore. I didn't want to read a mysterious background paragraph about Revan and the Exile I wanted to play a game about what happened to them. That sure as heck was not the payoff I would have wanted from that cliffhanger ending. Actually I was never particularly happy in general with the way they canonized what happened in both games.
      It does kinda ruin the "choose your own path" aspect of the games when they decide on an official canon. I guess they had to do it though, if they wanted to keep the game in SW continuity.
      || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

But really, all RPGs that get a sequel have a 'canon' ending. KOTOR is no exception; it has a much larger universe to fit into.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
        X