Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possibilities For the Future Of The Franchise.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possibilities For the Future Of The Franchise.

Well we all know about the movies and how they are up the air currently, mainly due to the financial difficulty of MGM and all that, but other possibilities are there for the future of the franchise?

I was thinking that about the possibility of a mini-series, it could air back to back with a season/mid-season premier of SGU, or tptb could do something like Children of Earth that Torchwood did last year.

It could certainly come in a much lower budget then another SG1 movie, or an Atlantis movie would, by using an all new cast with some cameos from the stars of the franchise. Basically a once off adventure through the gate with a new cast that would stay away from the vast amount of already established continuity that would pull in new viewers. Id also imagine that illegal downloads are a huge problem for direct to DVD movies, especially in the science fiction genre for established franchises. If successful it could open up the door to new spin off. Really something in the same vein as Air was in SGU.. explaining the concept for new viewers, but still being awesome!

Obviously other prospects for the franchise are in comics, TV movies but I really think the mini series idea could give the best profit to the franchise and keep the costs minimal.

You guys got any ideas?

I know plenty of people aren't happy that the franchise has taken the direction that it has with SGU, but thats the way it is and Im happy that it has, and so are plenty of other people so could we keep any prospective SGU hate to a minimum
    I dunno what to put in here now..

I think it would be awesome if they did a mini-series about the Ancients before they ascended. Something to show the creation of the gates, ships and other technology. Like a "history of Stargate" type of thing.
    sigpic

Comment

OH! Also, a distant-future series might be cool. As long as it's not TOO "trekkie"...I mean, I love those too, but I'd like to see each franchise remain it's own, you know?
      sigpic

Comment

I just hope that they don't drag the series past its sell by date *cough* Star Trek Enterprise *cough*

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

a 'history of' would be pretty cool, I agree
          sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Maybe do the furlings! haha

A Stargate: Stories mini-series. Series of stories of different groups doing cool things.

The Stargate History sounds cool. Ark of Truth's beginning was neat, expand of that perhaps.

Comment

OR they could do something without any real "regular" cast - mini one episode stories about different adventures on different worlds. Follow a different SG team for each episode. Obviously that would leave room for lots of cameos too
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GenieinaZPM View Post
                OR they could do something without any real "regular" cast - mini one episode stories about different adventures on different worlds. Follow a different SG team for each episode. Obviously that would leave room for lots of cameos too
                Ya, that would be good.. they'd only need to do it once every couple of months or so..

Ah no Id hate if they did a history of the ancients type thing.... I dunno about the rest of ye, but I always thought that when they actually started to show the ancients in Atlantis and during the Ori story arc they really brought them down alot, the became less and less like this mysterious almighty advanced powerful race extinct for thousands of years and more like insignificant no bodies who messed up everything causing all the problems in the universe and weren't smart enough to solve problems that McKay could in 15 minutes.. I really think they should stay away from the ancients and that we should just learn about them via episodes in the same vein as the torment of tantalus and the fifth race
                I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Absolutely right on the whole Ancients and mystery thing, Puddle-Jumper.

As for the thread topic...I'd go for a Stargate anthology series, something I've been plugging for ages. No fixed cast, but instead you could have stories from across the entire gateverse. For example, a story set on a 304 one week, an undercover SG team in the Milky Way the next, NID working on Earth after that and so on...but all sharing an arc.

Plus, you could more easily have entire episodes dedicated to unusual viewpoints - a minor Goa'uld struggling to expand his empire, Lucian Alliance, Wraith, or even a technician on Atlantis.
                  And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

I'd like a prequel miniseries set with the Ancients.

Comment

I've always wanted a 3 parter on the Ancients war with the Wraith. It would make for great story and great battle scenes and very interesting characters IMHO. Could explain on how really the ancients lost this war.

Comment

If the goal were to keep the Stargate franchise going, any "history of" wouldn't be ideal. Too much backstory and mythology that would turn off new viewers.

At this point, especially if we're talking about continuing SG long term, I think it's time to let go of SG1 and SGA. The movies are doubtful because of funding and the actors getting involved in other things (not to mention aging). If I were coming up with a new SG property I'd propel it as far away from the current timeline as possible. Earth in a hundred years, the Stargate program's gone public, there are little mini-gates all over the planet for public use, Earth has colonies and other off-world bases - what's that world like? What challenges do they face? Etc, etc.

That way, you can bring in new viewers because it's a totally new story with totally new characters. But all the SG mythology and history is there in the background and can be doled out in little bits. Also, since all the original characters would be dead there'd be no fan pressure to bring back person x (which could derail new interest, especially if there's some convoluted reason for why person x is still alive).

Also, I haven't watched SGU, but I imagine the cameos from old characters has, in parts, hurt the show. If the writers are scripting episodes with an eye towards "hey, we can bring back x, y, z!" it ceases to be about the new characters, plots, etc. By jumping so far into the future there's a distinct divide between new and old but they're still linked.

Just my 0.02.

Comment

A prequil in WWII would be cool. We only have the pentagons word that they shut it down after Ernest littlefield. And we know not to trust them XD

Period costumes and resources diverted from the war would be feasible. Maybe something competing against the Nazis who we know had the DHD. Maybe a 1940s version of the NID? Perhaps something horrible happened to shut em down?

Could set it in the present with Daniel Jackson narrating and anchoring it in the present as he uncovers the story....

Thered be no uber spaceships or superey ancient weapons to savethe day at the last second.... Should be cheap enough to film.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                            A prequil in WWII would be cool. We only have the pentagons word that they shut it down after Ernest littlefield. And we know not to trust them XD

Period costumes and resources diverted from the war would be feasible. Maybe something competing against the Nazis who we know had the DHD. Maybe a 1940s version of the NID? Perhaps something horrible happened to shut em down?

Could set it in the present with Daniel Jackson narrating and anchoring it in the present as he uncovers the story....

Thered be no uber spaceships or superey ancient weapons to savethe day at the last second.... Should be cheap enough to film.
                            Nice idea, I'ld watch that.

Comment

I was thinking that about the possibility of a mini-series, it could air back to back with a season/mid-season premier of SGU, or tptb could do something like Children of Earth that Torchwood did last year.
                              I really like the idea of a mini-series.
                              I think it would be cool was like a new sg-team at SGC and the whole series is about them getting
                              introduced to the stargate program and on their first mission they get into trouble and the whole
                              mini-series is about their adventure.
                              I also think for it to appeal to non-stargate viewers they could have minimal back story, just
                              and introduction to what the stargate program is then the next ten or so episodes would be about this new teams adventures. I think it would need to start at the beginning and end at the end, with no continuity later on.

Comment

Working...
                              X