Wray's 'Negotiation' Skills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GateroomGuard View Post
    Yeah I think at some point in Incursion Young just gave up on plans and just started shooting for a deus ex machina or a maguffin. After all with O'Neill in charge of the SGC now I can see his lessons to new commanders basically being this.
    "So no matter what happens, 40 minutes into whatever mess your in your scientist is going to start talking science bable and then your problems will go away, or your smart guy will do the same. Basically no matter what you do you won't get anything done till the last minute so just have fun until then."
    Oh God, that sounds so like O'neill Advanced tactics and counter tactics 101

Green for you ( I Hope)

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
      I may not have been clear enough with my explanation. I was trying to explain in response to the many posts throughout this thread that negotiating with subjects such as Kiva is actually quite common. However I completely agree with you that sometimes the situation changes to the point where more tactical options may be needed, which is pretty much where the crew are now on Destiny.

Very rarely would a large scale negotiation job be conducted without some sort of tactical option being used in conjunction (i.e Turn power/water off, shine bright lights into target premises, loud noises and other stuff to annoy) but on what we saw and the pretty limited information we have about the situation, they would have needed to start trying different things (as obviously nobody was really up to the negotiation task). Can't say I really agree with the Greer medic thing...I don't really know what the plan was with that one!
      Yeah, this is basically "don't put all your eggs into one basket". Negotiation is an option, but it's just one option; there's no way it would be solely relied upon.

Youngs train of thought.
      1. Greer dresses like medic.
      2. Greer shoots Kiva
      3. something happens here...
      4. We win.

Young had three out of 4 steps planned out we have to give him some credit, he probably was hoping Greer's awesomeness would somehow solve the crisis.
      If it got TJ safely out of reach of Kiva (and didn't risk all the other hostages getting killed), yeah, I can see that. I think that red shirt might have been kryptonite for Greer, partially shielding his awesomeness, or it all would have worked out differently

Yeah I think at some point in Incursion Young just gave up on plans and just started shooting for a deus ex machina or a maguffin. After all with O'Neill in charge of the SGC now I can see his lessons to new commanders basically being this.
      "So no matter what happens, 40 minutes into whatever mess your in your scientist is going to start talking science bable and then your problems will go away, or your smart guy will do the same. Basically no matter what you do you won't get anything done till the last minute so just have fun until then."
      Attempt at greening has failed, so it'll have to be the mental variety, mental green that is
      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by Tuvok View Post
        Oh God, that sounds so like O'neill Advanced tactics and counter tactics 101
        Yep. Except Jack would include the lesson on making sure your geek and your smart guy actually had your back .

Because with all the "they are in an unusual situation" blabla we are kind of forgetting that this situation has lasted for a few months now (judging by "the belly" ). And no matter what angle I try to look at Incursion from, their chances would have been better if everyone had started to work together some time along the way there (and not gone from outright opposition to subversion and on to ignorance of the other... be it Young or Rush or Wray... or whoever). Maybe Jack should come do a teambuilding 101 for the Destiny folks .

Comment

Originally posted by Kelara View Post
          Yep. Except Jack would include the lesson on making sure your geek and your smart guy actually had your back .
          "Now some of you may be asking how you can be sure your geek and smart guy will perform. There are three easy ways to make sure. 1. Yell their name loudly and repeatedly, it's a gurantee. 2. Threaten them with lemons, I've heard Shepard say this is a surefire to. 3. Just wait they'll always save you at the last minute anyway."

Originally posted by Kelara View Post
          ...Maybe Jack should come do a teambuilding 101 for the Destiny folks .
          O'Neill, "Now I know you military folks don't care for the civillians and they don't care for you either. And none of you care for these Lucian Alliance guys. But you all have to work together if your going to survive. So I'm going to pair you all up into teams to work together. Now you have your teams now get to know them because our next step is sending you all into a dangerous offworld mission just minutes after meeting.

Greer, "Won't we all just get killed since were being forced to trust people we hate on a mission that requires trust and teamwork?"

O'Neill, "No. By going on a dangerous mission you'll all learn through all the danger and adventure, along with a lot of fun, to become not just a team but friends that will last the ages."

Greer, "....How did you become a general again?"
          sigpic
          Doci of the BAG

Comment

"Now some of you may be asking how you can be sure your geek and smart guy will perform. There are three easy ways to make sure. 1. Yell their name loudly and repeatedly, it's a gurantee. 2. Threaten them with lemons, I've heard Shepard say this is a surefire to. 3. Just wait they'll always save you at the last minute anyway."

O'Neill, "Now I know you military folks don't care for the civillians and they don't care for you either. And none of you care for these Lucian Alliance guys. But you all have to work together if your going to survive. So I'm going to pair you all up into teams to work together. Now you have your teams now get to know them because our next step is sending you all into a dangerous offworld mission just minutes after meeting.

Greer, "Won't we all just get killed since were being forced to trust people we hate on a mission that requires trust and teamwork?"

O'Neill, "No. By going on a dangerous mission you'll all learn through all the danger and adventure, along with a lot of fun, to become not just a team but friends that will last the ages."

Greer, "....How did you become a general again?"
            ...and then they can build a giant tower of furniture....
            (cookies to whoever gets the reference )
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
              ...and then they can build a giant tower of furniture....
              (cookies to whoever gets the reference )
              X-files of course.

I would like Peanut brownie.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuvok View Post
                X-files of course.

I would like Peanut brownie.

sigpic

Comment

Steals cookies. Runs.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                    Steals cookies. Runs.
                    Noooooo...the Cookie.

Sigh.

Would have gone stright to my thighs anyway.

Unwraps a jerky stick and starts chewing.

Comment

Great, now you made me crave brownies... and derail this thread even more *sigh* .

Edit: Green for GateroomGuards O'Neill "Teambuilding 101" rendition. Spot on .

Comment

Yep, this. She's not in the office where things can be resolved with a committee meeting and everyone's reasonable because they're all operating with the same rules. It puts her at a terrible disadvantage and there's something in her face that shows that when Kiva trades a dead soldier, that these aren't the rules she expected. To tie that in with her negotiating skills, I don;t believe it affects her ability to negotiate, but I do think it's got to be a shock to her to see that her set of rules and her sense of her universe aren't the same as the one she's currently living in. I hope that it has her readjust her beliefs, especially about Young and Young's way of doing things, as the alternatives may be a hell of a lot worse.
                        Very well put sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
                          Very well put sir.
                          That comment reminds me of an SG1 ep I watched the other day where Walter calls Sam 'sir'.
                          sigpic

Comment

The thing I cannot stand about Wray and people like her in real life is their arrogance and egos. She is a human resources manager and she thinks she has the abilities and the right to be in charge on an Alien space ship in the middle of nowhere. She should shut up and learn some useful skills from those who have them. Same with Chloe.

I like airplanes but I know better than to assume I can pilot a 747 for example. People like Wray would insist on sitting at the controls out of ego and kill everyone as she crashed the thing into the ground. They are unwilling to admit they are not as important and able as they imagine themselves to be. Intelligent and useful people recognize their limitations and are not ruled by their egos.

Comment

The one thing that I like about SGU is that everyone who's been in command has lost someone under THEIR command. Young, too many to count now, but given the duration, better odds than the other options. Wray lost the guy who got attacked by the water bugs. In less than a day.

Spoiler:
                              And now Rush lost a shuttle and Riley. Although he probably feels worse about losing the shuttle. And he wasn't technically in command, he just made some command decisions. Next up Telford...

As far as Wrays skills. They only work where there's some sort of understanding. A common language (english). And rules and honorable intentions to follow them. Which was/is probably the ONLY time she'll be able to do that for the ENTIRE series. Not that big picture wise it mattered or accomplished anything.

Comment

Actually. t was TJ who was in charge when that guy got shredded by the water bugs.

Comment

Working...
                                X