Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek - It might be a bit on the campy side, but it really does have some good stories. The characters are very memorable and lovable too.

Star Trek : Deep Space Nine - My favorite Star Trek series, and my favorite overall sci-fi genre series. It's pretty dark when compared to the other Trek series, seeing as how some of it's major themes are religion, politics and war. It's also very much character driven, seeing as how it's based on a stationary space station.

Babylon 5 - Just below Deep Space Nine on my love list, Babylon 5 is an arc heavy show. In fact, the entire series was planned out from the very beginning. With the exception of the last season, the entire run was fantastic. If you like Lord of the Rings, you'll like Babylon 5

Lexx - Like AnUbIs2004 said, Lexx is a weird show. And I'll love it forever because of it's weirdness It's about a janitor, a dead assasin, a love slave, and a gay robot head who travel the two universes on their phallic shaped space ship/giant bug, the LEXX. It's definitely out there, and it's not for everyone, so be warned.

Farscape - Another of my beloved shows, Farscape was a brilliant show that was ahead of it's time. It was cancelled after only four seasons, but those four seasons packed one heck of a punch. It's basically about an astronaut who is shot through a wormhole to a distant part of space where no one has ever heard of humans or Earth. There he travels around with a group of escaped prisoners onboard their living ship Moya. You should definitely give it a try.

Battlestar Galactica (2005) - Probably my favorite t.v. show that is airing right now. To be fair, I've only seen the mini-series so far, but wow, did I love it. It's a post-apocalyptic story about the surviviors from twelve human colonies that were wiped out by their own creations, the robotic Cylons. The remaining humans are travelling the stars just trying to escape from the Cylons. It's a VERY dark show, and it's apparently very much character driven.

I'd also recommend Earth Final Conflict and Firefly. AnUbIs2004 and Manic did a good job making their respective cases.

As for movies, I'd firstly recommend The Fifth Element, which I love immensely. Also, there's Wing Commander, which I love a lot more than I probably should. I'll also say Pitch Black + Chronicles of Riddick.
    MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      Cypher is all kinds of kickass. And did you catch David Hewlett's (McKay's) appearance as the "living lie detector"?

Another good movie is Nothing. Again, with David. Two losers hate away the world and then have to live with the consequences... and each other.

Cube is an excellent, creepy, thought-provoking movie, too. And I'm not saying that just because David is in it, although that's a nice bonus. Actually, I really like Vincenzo Natali's stuff, and he's the guy who made all three of those movies. David just happens to be in everything he makes. Nice bonus feature.
      Yeah, I caught... he's hard to miss By then I had seen David in SG1 and was looking out for him...
      Spoiler:
      And he didn't show up until almost towards the end for a measley what... 5 minutes? I guess it is a cameo
      I was pretty impressed with the film considering that it wasn't made with a huge budget but production values were top notch.
      I wanted to see Cube (my colleague thought that since I was such a big fan of The Matrix that I'd like it) but some friends of mine told me "not to waste my time" so I didn't bother... but I might now seeing that David Hewlett is growing on me
      sigpic
      "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Fifth Element rocks my socks off! I love that movie so much! The blue opera singing chick and the fight scene during it are the best.

Star Trek TNG was okay. Deep Space 9 was average, Voyager sucked and Enterprise is a joke.

Star Wars is the greatest SciFi movie franchise to have ever been created. Ever! Sure the first 2 prequals aren't so great but ask a 6 year old what they think and they love them. They are trageted for 6 years olds with some hidden adult messages. Having said that thought The Empire Strikes back is the best of all the Star Wars movies. If you see no other Star Wars movie see TESB.

Astroboy is a fantastic SciFi cartoon. I loved Astro boy (not literally). Same with Transformers, that show rocked my socks too!

The original Battlestar was pretty cool - haven't seen the new one so can't comment. Same with Buck Rodgers that show was great.

Space Above and Beyond was great, shame it didn't last.

The early seasons of Red Dawf are classic! The latter seasons - eh don't bother.

Never got into TZ etc, they looked too stupid.

B5 and Farscape didn't really get shown here. I mean they were on but too late to really watch them, so I never watched so can't give an opinion on them. I believe some people liked them though

X-men movies and cartoons should be watched repeatedly.

Most of the others people have lited I haven't seen or I didn't like.

Anyway that's my list.

Comment

Here are some lesser-known movies:

Brazil - One of the best movies ever made. Bob Hoskins and Robert DeNiro's roles in the movie are classic. Somewhat hard to follow for some. At the time it was a very "weird" movie.

Dark City - Excellent movie, much better than the Matrix in the "Is this world real" phenomenon that hit movies a couple years back.

13th Floor - Another of the "Is this world real" movies, yet it's twist was really good.

Equilibrium - Personally I found the action/fight scenes to be BETTER than in the Matrix. I am not one who really gets in to fighting scenes, unless it is a Jackie Chan movie. The tend to all be the same. But Equilibrium's fight scenes, especially the ending were a cut above the rest.

Blade Runner - Popular now, but for a long time nothing more than a cult following. Suggest seeing theatrical version first, then director's cut second and compare them. One of the most inteligent scifi movies ever made.

Event Horizon -

Flash Gordon - Very entertaining fun movie. (Original theatrical release with Sam Jones who played the bounty hunter Aris Boch in an ep of SG-1)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - For the younger people, they may not have heard of this movie. Classic. Must see.

Impostor - Worth seeing just for the ending, wow what a good ending.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers - Excellent concept, classic story.

They Live! - B movie scifi. Entertaining for a lazy saturday afternoon when it is raining or snowing.

The Thing - AKA "John Carpenter's The Thing". Speaking of the re-make, not the original. One of the best scifi/horror films. On par with Alien. My opinion is this is John Carpenter's best movie as a director. Excellent acting.

The Abyss - Good, entertaining movie. Nice concept

Gattaca - Very inteligent movie. A must see.

Soylent Green - Ever wanted to know what people taste like? Ever thought that we could put all those retirees down in Florida to good use? Well here is your answer - Also worth seeing to understand the Homer Simpson jokes on Soylent Green, and there has been some classic ones.

Tron - Heard they were doing a re-make, if so who cares because this movie is a classic. Check out the special effects, for a movie done early 80s.

Outland - More action than scifi, but worth a look. Sean Connery at his best.

Zardoz- Speeking of Sean Connery, ever wanted to see a weird, and I mean WEIRD scifi movie? Check this movie out.

Also note, and others can add some titles, but back in the end of the 70s to early 80s there was a rash of really really good scifi animated movies put out. I can not remember the names of any of them because it has been so long. There is one movie that still sticks in my mind and I can not remember the title, and I have spent like 20 years thinking now how much I want to see it again.

Comment

Abyss is one of my favorites. But if you're gonna see it, you have to get the directors cut. It adds a whole additional storyline that puts everything into a VERY different context.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
              Abyss is one of my favorites. But if you're gonna see it, you have to get the directors cut. It adds a whole additional storyline that puts everything into a VERY different context.
              Thanks for pointing that out. A lot of time "director's cuts" can make the movie worse. As someone once said, "there was a good reason the director's cut did not make it to the theatres" (Can not remember which movie, but the quote is from Roger Ebert). But, yes the Abyss was definetly better movie with the added story line.

Also forgot another classic...

Enemy Mine - Louis Gosset Jr. and Dennis Quaid. Excellent movie, with a good take on the Robinson Crusoe aspect.

Comment

The only sci-fi shows I've ever got into are: The X-Files, Voyager, Enterprise, Twilight Zone and The Dead Zone. They're quite good once you've watched them for a while

Comment

Farscape
                  Earth Final Conflict
                  The Dead Zone
                  Medium

Comment

Outer Limits

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Has anyone mentioned 2001: A Space Odyssey?
                      It's a classic and a must-see. It's been parodied more often than any other sci-fi property in existance. You know how a lot of TV shows occasionally have an episode where they install a computer system in their home or business that talks through a red lense on the wall, and it eventually goes crazy and tries to kill everyone? It was a Halloween episode of the Simpsons where their automated house (voice by Pierce Brosnan) fell in love with Marge. Honey I Shrunk the Kids (the TV show) did it when Wayne's home security system fell in love with him. Disney's Recess even did it when the school's new computer system locked the principal in his office and started running the school. They always end with the computer singing "daisy, daisy, give me your answer do."

They all came from one single movie. 2001: A Space Odyssey. It's sequel was titled 2010. And yes, this means both Aschen episodes of Stargate SG-1 were named after these movies.
                      It's a Fargate! It's different.

Comment

Originally posted by system lord nu
                        could someone tell me some good sci-fi movies or show to check out?

thanks in advance
                        Anconda (hilarious!!)

BeastMaster (or as I call him, BeastyBoy)

Eyes Beyond Seeing starring Keith Hamilton Cobb is weird, makes no sense, somewhat predictable and full of fake surprises. But at least Keith still had those gorgeuous locks!

of course, Alien. Fora kick, try the Thing and X-files the movie.

Arachnophobia! watch it early in the morning on a saturday. Gauranteed creeps.

The Day the Earth Stood Still.

War of the Worlds, like that's new but It's fun to watch anyway.

that's all I can think of.
                        TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

What do people think of Donnie Darko? I saw an interview with the director recently and wondered if it's worth having a look.
                          sigpic
                          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Let me put it this way. I saw Donnie Darko once, and that wasn't enough to fully understand what happened. You have to watch it from start to finish, and have a mindset that nothing in this movie is what it appears to be. Is it good? I'm not really sure.
                            It's a Fargate! It's different.

Comment

Working...
                            X