This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any other good sci-fi shows or movies

could someone tell me some good sci-fi movies or show to check out?

thanks in advance

Babylon 5
    FarScape
    Space: Above and Beyond
    Star Trek: Deep Space 9
    Battlestar Galactica 2004

Comment

Star Trek (All series and Spinoffs)
      Babylon 5
      Battlestar Galactica (The older and newer series)
      Twilight Zone

And there are a couple others, but I forgot them.

Comment

a pretty new one to me (only seen 4 eps of it) is called the 4400, its about ppl that have been "kiddnapped by aliens" all througout the last 100 years and they are returned to earth, with a difference
        i wont spoil it but i suggest to anyone who hasnt seen or heard of it yet to seriously check it out, as its been very good so far, and cant wait to see the rest of them

Comment

Originally posted by system lord nu
          could someone tell me some good sci-fi movies or show to check out?

thanks in advance
          Robocop the series
          The Dead Zone
          Medium
          Tru Calling (if it ever comes back)
          Harsh Relm <sp>
          VR5
          Buffy The Vampire Slayer
          ______
          Visit my Entertainment News blog at http://blogs.delphiforums.com/mrreedwriter

Join in the discussion at MichaelShanksArchive

Comment

Hmm...movies:

M.I.B. (both if you like a humorous blend)
            Demolition Man (humor & action)
            Contact (Jodi the drama queen...but not bad)
            Armageddon (great affects & humor, if a bit shippy)
            Deep Impact (more of a drama)
            X-Men (both)

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Time Trax
              Robocop the series
              Earth Final Conflict
              http://bickenland.lonaf.com/phpBB2/index.php

This is a sig, have a nice day.

Comment

I don't know that this qualifies as "good," but does anyone remember that short-lived series VR-5?

Comment

Yeppers. Loved that show. And I was stunned- STUNNED- to discover years and years later that Giles on Buffy was also Syd's friend-person.

Comment

Red Dwarf
                    TV Series
                    A comedy about a spaceship's maintainence man who gets put into cryo-sleep, only to wake up millions of years later with the rest of the crew dead and Earth too far away to reach. The ship's AI has gone senile, his pet cat's descenents have evolved into one last humanoid cat, and the only other human on the ship is a hologram of his jerk-wad roommate. Misadventures ensue.

Firefly
                    TV Series
                    Imagine a future where man is capable of distant space travel, but some of the planets they've settled on are so isolated, they're like an old wild west film. The show centers around a small cargo ship of "for hire" mercenaries. Very character driven. If you're warry of what to think, there's a movie coming out this September.

The Fifth Element
                    Movie
                    Ancient Egyptians prophecized the coming of a dark planet to destroy the Earth. The only thing that can stop the dark planet is the combination of the 4 elements (earth, fire, wind, water) and the 5th element. Cut to the distant future, where a lowlife (hover-)taxi driver somehow gets involved in this foretold conflict. With the help of a priest and a mysterious girl, it might be up to them to save the world. This movie has its ups and downs, but it's pretty enjoyable.

Demolition Man
                    Movie
                    A modern-day cop with a knack for causing excessive collateral damage is cryogenically frozen in a newly devised prison system. During his sleep, society becomes drastically less violent; even to the point where police no longer carry weapons. When a modern-day criminal is released in this future to cause a type of havoc the authorities of that time are unfamiliar with, the same cop is released to stop him. Lots of "what if" humor concerning the future, including toilet paper being abandoned for 3 washable seashells. Ask anyone whose seen this movie: what are all restaurants in the future?

Twlight Zone and The Outer Limits
                    TV Series' (although TZ has a movie or two out there)
                    Both shows are great if you're looking for sci-fi short stories. You get a new cast and a new story every episode. Sometimes it's a look at the possible future. Sometimes it's a look into the supernatural. Sometimes the stories take place in the present, and something entirely strange happens. It's usually good, and the end of a lot of episodes give you something to think about.
                    It's a Fargate! It's different.

Comment

Biiig bada boom! Corneeeeliuuuuus.

Love Leeloo

Comment

TZ and OL are great. I tend to prefer the originals of each, though, rather than the "new" ones, although Outer Limits had some pretty good ones and the New Twilight Zone had a couple interesting takes on classic eps. The Monsters are Due stands out, and not just because Peter Williams was in it.

I went through a serious Outer Limits kick when I was a kid. I watched every video available from our local video store then made my mom drive me to the next town so we could raid THEIR collection.

Twilight Zone, though, that's where it's at. You want CLASSICS and that's just full of 'em. My personal fave is Time Enough At Last. As a reader, that ep was just utterly appalling. I may not need glasses to read, but I sympathized completely. *shudder*

There are lots of great scifi shows that got cancelled after one season. LOTS of good ones. But they're pretty difficult to find, so I won't torment you with stuff you can't watch.

Comment

First Wave - Aired on the SciFi channel. First season was great, second-third fell of some. But was one of the rare epic stories to actually finish.

Earth Final Conflict - A true Science Fiction series. Very unique. Hard to watch EVERY episode, but still important as the series was very grand in scale. As far as stories go, this was Gene Roddenberry's best.

Lexx - Very strange show, hard to watch for many. At least worth a look just to see how weird it is.

Farscape - Another series that started out great, but got a little a head of itself towards the end. Only ran for 4 seasons before cancelation, but a recent mini-series concluded the story line.

Babylon 5 - Considered by many to be the best SciFi on Tv. Personally never really got in to it. But I can say the show has a very loyal following. Interesting concept behind the show. Definetely worth a look.

Battlestar Galactica (2004) - If you have not seen this yet, get the mini-series premiere that aired last year (I believe SciFi channel is going to re-air shortly before season commences). Very serious and dark show, nothing, I mean NOTHING like the original. Behind SG-1 and Atlantis I favorite show to watch week to week.

Total Recall 2070 - Series aired a couple years ago for 1 season. Very interesting show. It was essentially the movies Blade Runner and Total Recall put together. Sad to see it did not make it, was a good show.

Space Above and Beyond - Another series that got a very big following, although I never personally got in to it as much, but I think it is worth a look. Aired for one season. Good special effects for a tv show (considering the budget)

Outer Limits - I believe it was Showtime, and then Scifi channel that aired a new version of this classic show during the 90s. Had some very good episodes. Much better than any of that Twilight Zone remakes they made a few years back and in the eighties.

Odyssey 5 - Excellent show cancelled after 1 season. Worth a look just to see what well done intelligent science fiction should look like. I saw a comment once by someone that said this is what the X-files should have been. Lets put it this way, I made sure to see every ep of this show, yet did not care if I missed an X-files ep during the 1st season.

Check out www.tvtome.com for any info on these shows and others.

Comment

Originally posted by AnUbIs2004
                            Babylon 5 - Considered by many to be the best SciFi on Tv. Personally never really got in to it. But I can say the show has a very loyal following. Interesting concept behind the show. Definetely worth a look.
                            I think it is a cut above the rest... especially if you're interested in history, philosophy and politics. The dialogue is second to none...

On the recommendation of many on this forum, I went and hired a copy of Equilibrium from the video store... I'm still surprised at how good it is... it's very, very cool. Nothing startingly original but the production values are great. Christian Bale is great in the lead role and gives me reason to hope that the new Batman movie might be better than okay.

I picked up Cypher because of Jeremy Northam and because my colleague raved on about how good he was in the role. And she was right... but the narrative is wonderful too... all sorts of twists and turns but the good kind...
                            sigpic
                            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Cypher is all kinds of kickass. And did you catch David Hewlett's (McKay's) appearance as the "living lie detector"?

Another good movie is Nothing. Again, with David. Two losers hate away the world and then have to live with the consequences... and each other.

Cube is an excellent, creepy, thought-provoking movie, too. And I'm not saying that just because David is in it, although that's a nice bonus. Actually, I really like Vincenzo Natali's stuff, and he's the guy who made all three of those movies. David just happens to be in everything he makes. Nice bonus feature.

Comment

Working...
                              X