This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nicholas Berg

What does everyone think about what happened to Nicholas Berg? Did he deserve it? Was it one of the worst acts imaginable? Have you seen the video? Do you want to see the video?

Haven't seen it and don't want to. One of our newsreaders made a good point in a newspaper column he wrote recently. He had no intentions of watching it but then thought that how could he comment with any authority on something he hadn't seen? So he saw it, thought it was the most sickening thing he'd ever watched but thought people *should* see it (can't remember why now). What happened to him was dreadful but sadly inevitable after the reports of the abuse of Iraqi prisoners by US (and possibly British) troops reached his captors.
    Oh honey. You say potato, I say vodka!

http://neuralgianostalgia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Theres no way anyone deserves to have there head lopped of on tape.
      sigpic
      Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
        Theres no way anyone deserves to have there head lopped of on tape.
        lopped? It was slow.

When I read about it in the newspaper, I pushed my dinner aside and nearly got sick... and I was just reading about it. It is disgraceful. I never thought that they could top what the US soldiers were doing to the prisoners, but they did....

Comment

My dad saw it and called me up to discuss it. He said I shouldn't see it. So of course, I did, and it's something I will never, never forget. All at once I was horrified, disgusted, sick to a near-vomiting degree, and possessed by an anger I was unaccustomed to realizing.

I watched it because I was tired of feeling so "on the other side of the world." "Oh, they're just sick, demented people, tra-la-la." I realized that, simply because I'm an American, or that I worship the Hebrew God: If they could kill me, they would.

No more games. These al-quaeda terrorists, these monsters need to be terminated. Like Pearl Harbor before them, they have no clue of the anger they've stirred.

Comment

I read about it on the internet and couldn't believe it so I turned on the TV, and of course the first news was exactly *that*. The thought that this was real was so disgusting that I had to turn away my head and I just heard the noises. I don't know whether they really broadcasted the murder or how much of it was sensored.

It is so sickening. As are the pictures of the American tortures. I have watched/looked at neither one of them. And I don't intend to so in the near future.

Originally posted by David
            I watched it because I was tired of feeling so "on the other side of the world." "Oh, they're just sick, demented people, tra-la-la." I realized that, simply because I'm an American, or that I worship the Hebrew God: If they could kill me, they would.

No more games. These al-quaeda terrorists, these monsters need to be terminated. Like Pearl Harbor before them, they have no clue of the anger they've stirred.
            You are right that they should be terminated. BUT you don't know who "they" are (do you have the ability to look somebody in the face and see that they are evil?). Not everybody from that region is "they". And just because a few American soldiers tortured prisoners doesn't mean that all soldiers are bad or that all Americans are bad.

It is okay that you are angry but don't take it out on all the people from that region (where are they exactly from?) just as you don't want them to put a few nuclear bombs in the Western hemisphere because they don't like the politics of a few Western countries.
            No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
            (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

Originally posted by sgeureka
              I read about it on the internet and couldn't believe it so I turned on the TV, and of course the first news was exactly *that*. The thought that this was real was so disgusting that I had to turn away my head and I just heard the noises. I don't know whether they really broadcasted the murder or how much of it was sensored.

It is so sickening. As are the pictures of the American tortures. I have watched/looked at neither one of them. And I don't intend to so in the near future.

You are right that they should be terminated. BUT you don't know who "they" are (do you have the ability to look somebody in the face and see that they are evil?). Not everybody from that region is "they". And just because a few American soldiers tortured prisoners doesn't mean that all soldiers are bad or that all Americans are bad.

It is okay that you are angry but don't take it out on all the people from that region (where are they exactly from?) just as you don't want them to put a few nuclear bombs in the Western hemisphere because they don't like the politics of a few Western countries.
              I think you use the term "torture" too loosely. If by torture you mean made them strip down and get made fun of for a while/jump in a naked dogpile then yes they were "tortured".

Comment

sgeureka, I'm not talking about Iraqis in general. Not at all. I'm referring to the Al-quaeda. And they will be found.

Of course you wouldn't bomb and decimate all of New York to get rid of her street gangs.

Comment

first of all i want to say upfront i dont think nicolas berg deserved to die the way he did ,but

to give my non american thoughts on this

if you attack a country ,mess with their culture ,humiliate them so the whole world can see ,you really think they gonna sit back and watch??

i can understand that if its " one of your own" you are upset and angry ,but its a war and the first rule is people die ,some deserve it ,most are innocent

if you mess with a country's culture by humiliate and abuse iraqi prisoners, the enemy is going to look for something similar to hit back with ,in this case nicolas berg ,its not right

in africa this happens on daily bases people get brulaly murdered by the hundreds , yet it gets 3 lines on page 18 of the paper ,coz there isnt any emotion shared with it ,no one bothers to put their focus there ,coz its not "there own"

no disrespect in anyway ,just a different prespective from my side

Comment

Originally posted by mylo1012
                    first of all i want to say upfront i dont think nicolas berg deserved to die the way he did ,but

to give my non american thoughts on this

if you attack a country ,mess with their culture ,humiliate them so the whole world can see ,you really think they gonna sit back and watch??

i can understand that if its " one of your own" you are upset and angry ,but its a war and the first rule is people die ,some deserve it ,most are innocent

if you mess with a country's culture by humiliate and abuse iraqi prisoners, the enemy is going to look for something similar to hit back with ,in this case nicolas berg ,its not right

in africa this happens on daily bases people get brulaly murdered by the hundreds , yet it gets 3 lines on page 18 of the paper ,coz there isnt any emotion shared with it ,no one bothers to put their focus there ,coz its not "there own"

no disrespect in anyway ,just a different prespective from my side
                    war happens sometimes, it doesn't mean you need to regress to the level of barbarians and saw someones head off with a kitchen knife.

Comment

and in what part did i say it was right to do that?

Comment

and in what part did i say it was right to do that?
                        I never implied you said it was right just that you were trying to justify their actions because we "humiliated" them.

Comment

Originally posted by FixxxeR
                          I never implied you said it was right just that you were trying to justify their actions because we "humiliated" them.

justifying??

where did i do that?

Comment

You use similar as if making iraqi boys get naked is similar to not just a decapitation but a brutal and painful one at that.

Comment

first of all people also died in that prison ,but that aside american culture and iraqi culture are very different ,for iraqi's humiliation is worse then death or atleast similair

they responded to the american act
                              its not about justifying its about action causes reaction --> humiliation causes brutal murder ................now may brutal murder be the worse for american culture ,doesnt mean the iraqis see that the same

for the record ,i think its both wrong ,so dont say i justify it

Comment

Working...
                              X