This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG-1 Lucian Alliance vs SGU Lucian Alliance

Even though the Lucian Alliance have been in a maximum of two (three, if you include ''Air'') episodes in SGU, so far the have been MUCH BETTER than the Lucian Alliance that was introduced in SG-1. In SG-1 they came off, slightly as the ''Dumb Villains'' of the show. The writing was sloppy, and the characters they had in the LA where just BAD!

In SGU, however, they have stepped away from the ''Dumb Villains'' into AWSOME! Much of that gose to the writing, Kiva makes an EXCELLENT leader and a character. And, add to the fact that, they seem prepared everytime we've seen them on screen!

This thread is to see what you guys think of the new Lucian Alliance.

Lucian Alliance in SGU is much better portrayed no question about it. But I think the main difference is in the tone of the shows as well. SGU is a lot darker, more serious show. The new take on the LA fits in well with the show itself.

I didn't like the dumb villains vibe they gave off in SG-1. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be intentional or not. If they were trying to portray them as "serious" villains in SG-1, I think it failed.
    sigpic

Comment

The last 2 SGU episodes involving the LA were pretty good action episode imo. I also think Kiva made a mean villain. But they are still pretty basic, standard villain. And when I say basic, i mean very basic. I think the Goauld and even the Ori were much more layered (at least for a couple of seasons). They were simply more going on with them. Discovering them was like discovering a whole new universe (no pun intended).
      Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Homer 120 View Post
        Even though the Lucian Alliance have been in a maximum of two (three, if you include ''Air'') episodes in SGU, so far the have been MUCH BETTER than the Lucian Alliance that was introduced in SG-1. In SG-1 they came off, slightly as the ''Dumb Villains'' of the show. The writing was sloppy, and the characters they had in the LA where just BAD!

In SGU, however, they have stepped away from the ''Dumb Villains'' into AWSOME! Much of that gose to the writing, Kiva makes an EXCELLENT leader and a character. And, add to the fact that, they seem prepared everytime we've seen them on screen!

yep, smart criminals are definitely a lot more interesting than dumb criminals and the LA makes for a fantastic enemy here. Kiva really does make a great villain; they've made her something so much more than 2-dimensional bad guy. It's a great change
        sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

SGU Lucian Alliance - Godfather
          SG1 Lucian Alliance - Mickey Blue Eyes

Comment

They're just a filler enemy. TPTB did say they have a planned ending. Think Brad said they originally planned it on being a movie. So I think they kept the original plot progression of the movie but sporadically placed them (the plot points in the original movie form) on the show and infrequently to draw out the show. Then they came up with this "elaborate" character stories to fill in so they could draw it out. Like the blue aliens, the LA alliance, and the character stuff. Everything is going to be just filler, except the minor things about the Destiny, Franklin, etc.

Comment

How does 'we've planned an ending' translate to 'the Lucian Alliance are just filler'? How do you know the ending has nothing to do with them? Also, Atlantis was conceived as a movie too, by the way. I doubt the series now, other than the premise, is anything like what the movie would have been.

Comment

LA in SG-1 was one of the dumbest and most annoying villains I've seen.
                SGU one is at least believable although not a fave of mine. I take SGU any day.

Comment

I did say "I think" so you're welcome to disagree. My opinion, your opinion.

Comment

Your opening sentence was 'They're just a filler enemy'.

Comment

ok....

Comment

Originally posted by Homer 120 View Post

I disagree. I think their portrayal might have been a little campy, but arguably more realistic in SG-1. They were a ragtag group of mercenaries scrambling to fill the power vacuum of a millenniums-old empire.

I think the modern Iranian theocratic revolutionary government is a great example. They overthrew the Shah, and with him the last dynasty of the ages old Persian Empire. Now presumably, their master-plan is to get a nuclear weapon, and--what? Blow someone up? It's a stupid plan because even if they accomplished their goal of detonating a nuclear weapon in one of their enemy's cities, pretty much every member of the UN Security Council would be chomping at the bit to at least invade their country, or possibly bombing their capital into oblivion.

^It's a stupid plan from a ragtag group in real life and the original Lucian Alliance.
                        sigpic
                        "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                        ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                          I didn't like the dumb villains vibe they gave off in SG-1. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be intentional or not. If they were trying to portray them as "serious" villains in SG-1, I think it failed.
                          Yeah, I think that was the main problem with LA in SG-1. In its last seasons the series moved so much in the direction of parody that half of the time I didn't know what was supposed to be serious and what was comedy. As I tend to view SG-1 in a serious way I found LA to be incredibly annoying. And I know that some folks who liked the last season treated LA episodes as comedy episodes, because that was the only way they were able to enjoy them.

So basically I agree.

Originally posted by Commander Zelix
                          The last 2 SGU episodes involving the LA were pretty good action episode imo. I also think Kiva made a mean villain. But they are still pretty basic, standard villain. And when I say basic, i mean very basic. I think the Goauld and even the Ori were much more layered (at least for a couple of seasons). They were simply more going on with them. Discovering them was like discovering a whole new universe (no pun intended).
                          I agree with this assessment. LA in SGU is million times better than in SG-1 but they still lack subtlety and complexity of the Goa'uld. Hopefully this will change in season 2.
                          There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                          sigpic
                          awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post

I agree with this assessment. LA in SGU is million times better than in SG-1 but they still lack subtlety and complexity of the Goa'uld. Hopefully this will change in season 2.
                            The Goa'uld were complex? Dressed in over the top clothes and worship them or die. Seems pretty simple to me
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

I loved the LA in SG1, and feel they have hardly changed in SGU. Except apparently being more organized, I wonder who the leader is as he/she is obviously better at being a leader than Netan.

Comment

Working...
                              X