• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dosed150 View Post
    so youve never been to somewhere that doesnt rain all the time
    Nope I don't like the sun So you could say I'm in the right place
    sigpic

Comment

You lot should try being a colonial from a country that's not part of Britain. We've got to queue to get in and get grilled about why we're there and what we're doing and when we're leaving, we're not allowed to work without jumping through a thousand hoops and can't get the dole, but we're still lumbered with England's queen!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
        You lot should try being a colonial from a country that's not part of Britain. We've got to queue to get in and get grilled about why we're there and what we're doing and when we're leaving, we're not allowed to work without jumping through a thousand hoops and can't get the dole, but we're still lumbered with England's queen!
        *sigh* She's the Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Not England!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
          *sigh* She's the Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Not England!
          I know, but the attitude in Australia tends to be "mother England and her Queen". It's odd.

ETA. If we're going to get technical, isn't she the queen of the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda, and Saint Kitts and Nevis?

But this is getting wildly offtopic.

I like tea. Black, 2 sugars.
          Last edited by Lahela; 17 July 2011, 06:21 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

To be honest I prefer to think of her as being the Queen of England (I'm sooooo not a royalist)

Comment

Originally posted by Tanith0709 View Post
              To be honest I prefer to think of her as being the Queen of England (I'm sooooo not a royalist)
              I don't care one way or the other about them, but the point was that we've just had many posts about how the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish don't like it when people think of the UK as England.
              sigpic

Comment

I don't care one way or the other about them, but the point was that we've just had many posts about how the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish don't like it when people think of the UK as England.
                Neither do I.

I am English by birth, but it offends me when England is used synonymously with British.

I consider myself British, and that means pride in all aspects of Britain, which includes the unique Welsh and Scottish cultures which I love.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                  Neither do I.

I am English by birth, but it offends me when England is used synonymously with British.

I consider myself British, and that means pride in all aspects of Britain, which includes the unique Welsh and Scottish cultures which I love.
                  I'm the same. I was born in Wales to a Scottish Dad and a Welsh mum. I consider myself British of Welsh/Scottish (or Scottish/Welsh) nationality. I too hate it when the WHOLE of the UK is referred to as England. It feels more difficult being in Wales. Like we're forgotten about sometimes and sometimes...ESPECIALLY with America...I think we need to speak up to remind people we're here and not happy being under the "England" umbrella any more.

I remember going to Spain once and the rep was seeing who from the coach staying at the hotel was from what part of the UK:

REP: Do we have anyone from England?

GUESTS: Yeah!!!

REP: Anyone here from Scotland?

REP: Do we have anyone here from Ireland?

At this point the Rep continues and gives the usual hotel welcome spiel, the time dinner is served etc. And I'm sat there thinking (hopefully with several others) "Errr...aren't you forgetting somewhere?? Wales maybe??" Before I could speak out someone else did and raised the question. Hopefully the rep won't make that mistake again. As I said above...it feels more difficult being in Wales and that we need to shout sometimes to remind people Wales does exist and that it most certainly does not fall under the "England" umbrella just as Scotland and Ireland don't.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                  K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                    At this point the Rep continues and gives the usual hotel welcome spiel, the time dinner is served etc. And I'm sat there thinking (hopefully with several others) "Errr...aren't you forgetting somewhere?? Wales maybe??" Before I could speak out someone else did and raised the question. Hopefully the rep won't make that mistake again. As I said above...it feels more difficult being in Wales and that we need to shout sometimes to remind people Wales does exist and that it most certainly does not fall under the "England" umbrella just as Scotland and Ireland don't.
                    I didn't understand Wales to be a separate country (or whatever) until the last few years and the whole thing (with all the countries being part of one country ) is still a little confusing to me but I kind of get it.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                      I didn't understand Wales to be a separate country (or whatever) until the last few years and the whole thing (with all the countries being part of one country ) is still a little confusing to me but I kind of get it.
                      Thank you and I'm glad. I think its a good help for Wales, Scotland, and England (not so much Ireland I don't think) when explaining to others outside the UK that referring to the whole island as "England" is completely and utterly wrong. I have a friend in the US and I explained to them when we first started talking that Wales isn't in England it is in the UK just as England is also in the UK. Hopefully when anybody asks my American friend "hows your English friend?" they will correct them and with myself and other Brits hopefully explaining to others on-line in forums like this it will get people to spread the word to their friends where they live too.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                        Thank you and I'm glad. I think its a good help for Wales, Scotland, and England (not so much Ireland I don't think) when explaining to others outside the UK that referring to the whole island as "England" is completely and utterly wrong. I have a friend in the US and I explained to them when we first started talking that Wales isn't in England it is in the UK just as England is also in the UK. Hopefully when anybody asks my American friend "hows your English friend?" they will correct them and with myself and other Brits hopefully explaining to others on-line in forums like this it will get people to spread the word to their friends where they live too.
                        Though am I not correct in saying that Wales is, in fact, not a country, but a principality?

And that's not me trying to put it down. I love Wales with all my heart, wish I still lived there. It's my favourite component of Britain, and where I consider 'home', if home is where the heart is...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                          Though am I not correct in saying that Wales is, in fact, not a country, but a principality?

And that's not me trying to put it down. I love Wales with all my heart, wish I still lived there. It's my favourite component of Britain, and where I consider 'home', if home is where the heart is...
                          I think its been said by the Welsh Assembly and the British government that even though it is connected to England and part of the UK, Wales is a country in its own right.

Comment

Is the United Kingdom a(the) country? If so are England, Wales, Scottland...all countries as well? Counties within a country? This is where my head starts to hurt.

On a side note, assuming Gwen has a true Welsh accent...I love it!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                              Is the United Kingdom a(the) country? If so are England, Wales, Scottland...all countries as well? Counties within a country? This is where my head starts to hurt.

On a side note, assuming Gwen has a true Welsh accent...I love it!
                              The United Kingdom is four countries; England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. England, Scotland and Wales are collectively known as Great Britain, which excludes Northern Ireland, as Northern Ireland isn't connected to the same landmass that makes up the other three.

Also, it is a real Welsh accent.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                                The United Kingdom is four countries; England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. England, Scotland and Wales are collectively known as Great Britain, which excludes Northern Ireland, as Northern Ireland isn't connected to the same landmass that makes up the other three.

Also, it is a real Welsh accent.
                                So then what exactly is the United Kingdom, since it isn't a country? Does this really come down to vocabulary?

How is the United States different from the United Kingdom? We called ours states and you call yours countries? Other than the vocabulary is there much of a difference?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X