TW - British/Welsh Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
    I thought it might be good to have a forum to discuss British/Welsh culture, for those of us who don't really understand the differences or how accurate everything on TW is. I'm new to TW, but have watched them all and really enjoy that it shows (as far as I know) more of the British/Welsh culture than DW, who is always in different places. I'll put out a few questions for discussion and please expand or take it away from there. I'm in no way trying to make fun of the culture, I enjoy it, I just like to understand things!

Do British/Welsh people really drink that much tea?
    Is Ianto a traditional Welsh or British name?
    Are certain characters more Welsh/English and/or British?
    How do British identify themselves? British or Welsh/English/Scottish/Irish?
    Does British TV allow all the language on public broadcast?
    Are Bloody and B***cks (spelling?) considered cuss words equal to the F or S word?

This should be a good start?
    I just want to answer the one I've put in Bold there from my personal perspective: I live in Wales. My dad's originally from Scotland and my mum's from Wales. I consider myself to be British with Welsh/Scottish Nationality. My accent is non-regional.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

What do you guys/gals call the queen?

Mom or Mum? I was watching Doctor Who S2 Ep2 and it sounded like Rose and the Doc kept calling her Mom, but I thought y'all said Mum instead of Mom. Maybe there were saying ma'am?
      When you meet her you are first supposed to call her "Your Majesty" and subsequently "Ma'am" (rhymes with "ham"). Mum is what you call your mother (unless you live in the NE England, then you say Mam!).
      sigpic
      http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
      http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Woah.. old thread. Whoops.
        sigpic
        http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
        http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

I thought it might be good to have a forum to discuss British/Welsh culture, for those of us who don't really understand the differences or how accurate everything on TW is. I'm new to TW, but have watched them all and really enjoy that it shows (as far as I know) more of the British/Welsh culture than DW, who is always in different places. I'll put out a few questions for discussion and please expand or take it away from there. I'm in no way trying to make fun of the culture, I enjoy it, I just like to understand things!

Is Ianto a traditional Welsh or British name?
          Are certain characters more Welsh/English and/or British?
          Does British TV allow all the language on public broadcast?
          Are Bloody and B***cks (spelling?) considered cuss words equal to the F or S word?

This should be a good start?
          In terms of tea drinking I know a few walking cliches in RL but I personally prefer coffee and worship at the altar of the Flat White!

Never heard the name Ianto outside TW to be honest so will bow down to the Welsh people on that.

Owen is a stereotypical Cockney/Londoner, as for the Welsh characters, again I bow down to those on the other side of the Severn.

I was born and have lived most of my life in England but spent a few years living in Scotland and have a Welsh Mum. I consider myself British. However I have to admit that that is a rare sentiment nowadays.

How much language is allowed depends on the time of day.

They're cuss words but "bloody" is pretty minor though B-cks is heavier
          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Can't speak for everybody but I drink lots of Tea

I identity myself as Scottish. Scottish and Proud

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            tea is, well basically a late afternoon snack in the UK. When i've been over there, you have tea around 5pm or so, then dinner at 7pm or so. And it's just tea and maybe cookies or a simple light snack. Milk in tea is a taste sensation that isn't well known at all in the US. I like it, it makes the tea much milder and kinda a warm, soothing drink.
            I call it Tea Time sometimes. It's when I have my main meal at around 5 - 5.30pm.

Do the Americans not take Milk in their Tea? ewwwwww. I can't drink Tea black

Originally posted by Draygon View Post
            Well I know that in northern England and Scotland, tea is a term used to mean you dinner while dinner is your lunch There was a huge debate about it before one of my lectures once. Bit of North/south riverly (To me they're all southerners though
            I do that sometimes Tea time is Dinner time and Dinner time is Lunch time And breakfast is Breakfast, the most important meal of the day
            sigpic

Comment

I'll just 'ditto' Linda's post.

Edinburgh natives are thought of, by other Scots, as being mean. There is a famous phrase that they are supposed to utter if you visit them - "You'll have had your tea." It is said as a statement rather than a question.
              sigpic

Comment

thought the last scene of the teaser at the end of the first episode was funny, when someone from dollhouse called gwen english and gwen punched her and said im welsh

as for national identity i consider myself british

and im another coffee drinking heretic

Comment

Quick run down on how the UK works it's a bit complex as we haven't had a clean slate constitutionally since well 1066 compounded by the fact non of it is written down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10

That vid does skip of the complexities of the crown that's some pedantic insanity you could spend an hour on and will probably upset people with strong opinions on Irish terminology as that's contentious you could spend hours on it.
                  This should show that British national identity is totally incomprehensible the only hard rule is dont mix the home nations eg dont call a welsh person English or any other combination.

On Tea very popular one of those reasonably deserved stereotypes

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Originally posted by dosed150 View Post
                    thought the last scene of the teaser at the end of the first episode was funny, when someone from dollhouse called gwen english and gwen punched her and said im welsh
                    lol, I'd have a similar reaction. I tend to find that Scotland tends to be more nationalist than the other parts of the UK and would put you right immediately if anyone called us English.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanith0709 View Post
                      lol, I'd have a similar reaction. I tend to find that Scotland tends to be more nationalist than the other parts of the UK and would put you right immediately if anyone called us English.
                      I think the perception of people who call themselves english instead of british tends to be that their the wrong kind of nationalist, whereas scottish or welsh people who dont refer to themselves as British it seems more acceptable and not really racist

although when people say their english, scottish etc not british i like to remind them they must not be wanting their british passports

Comment

I think the perception of people who call themselves english instead of british tends to be that their the wrong kind of nationalist, whereas scottish or welsh people who dont refer to themselves as British it seems more acceptable and not really racist

although when people say their english, scottish etc not british i like to remind them they must not be wanting their british passports
                        I think that a lot of English people don't differentiate between being referred to as English or British as the majority of them see Britain as being English.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IcarusAbides View Post
                          the majority of them see Britain as being English.
                          Which is okay, but when other countries think the same it really does piss off people from the other parts of the UK.

I get annoyed when people think that Scotland is part of England.

Comment

Which is okay, but when other countries think the same it really does piss off people from the other parts of the UK.

I get annoyed when people think that Scotland is part of England.
                            I'm not sure it is okay really but it's the way most people are, I can understand why people from Scotland and Wales are constantly annoyed by this.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                              Quick run down on how the UK works it's a bit complex as we haven't had a clean slate constitutionally since well 1066 compounded by the fact non of it is written down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10

That vid does skip of the complexities of the crown that's some pedantic insanity you could spend an hour on and will probably upset people with strong opinions on Irish terminology as that's contentious you could spend hours on it.
                              This should show that British national identity is totally incomprehensible the only hard rule is dont mix the home nations eg dont call a welsh person English or any other combination.

On Tea very popular one of those reasonably deserved stereotypes
                              Did you get all that then. Parts of it were quite funny

They'd probably get a Glesga' kiss for their trouble

I don't have a passport
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                                Did you get all that then. Parts of it were quite funny

They'd probably get a Glesga' kiss for their trouble

I don't have a passport
                                so youve never been to somewhere that doesnt rain all the time

Comment

Working...
                                X