TW - British/Welsh Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    tea is, well basically a late afternoon snack in the UK. When i've been over there, you have tea around 5pm or so, then dinner at 7pm or so. And it's just tea and maybe cookies or a simple light snack. Milk in tea is a taste sensation that isn't well known at all in the US. I like it, it makes the tea much milder and kinda a warm, soothing drink.
    Not where I live Dinner is around midday.. what some would call lunch and tea is the evening meal

I was on the phone to someone in London yesterday and he had trouble understanding me

Comment

But in that case, Tea does not refer to a 'cup of tea', the word is being used synonymously with most people's 'dinner' or evening meal. Actual tea is not a factor

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

But what if I have a cup of tea at the same time?

Sometimes have four or five cups a day ... if you replace tea with coffee since I don't drink tea

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
          But what if I have a cup of tea at the same time?

Sometimes have four or five cups a day ... if you replace tea with coffee since I don't drink tea :weiranime42:
          I hereby cast you out of British society and deem you to be an undesirable! Be gone foul creature of the underworld!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
            Tea as a late afternoon snack?

Well.......... yes. Maybe.

But generally speaking, it's ALWAYS time for a cup of tea. And I mean ALWAYS. First thing in the morning, last thing before bed, 10 minute work break, WHILST working, when you get back from work, etc etc etc.

I honestly couldn't live without it. Yes - I AM a cliche.
            My breakfast is sometimes just a cup of tea I also drink tea when i get hungry during the day. It tends to satisfy me untill its actually time to eat food.

Ianto is pronounced Yanto

and there's a worse word than the F one...the C word.
            Coffee?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
              <PH snip>
              !! Ukko! *reports Ukko to the Mods*

Comment

Quote from an article I was reading about S4

"...hopefully some more U.K. signings to come as well, and a few American cast as well. That is part of the fun of the script as well, which is the culture clash. It's not just going to be, well ... you know how sometimes Americans crop up in dramas for no reason. This going to be the Americans puzzling at the Welsh, the Welsh not knowing what's going on in America ... there is a lot of fun with that.

Sounds like our discussion will live on and questions may start coming in the other direction!
                sigpic

Comment

What do you guys/gals call the queen?

Mom or Mum? I was watching Doctor Who S2 Ep2 and it sounded like Rose and the Doc kept calling her Mom, but I thought y'all said Mum instead of Mom. Maybe there were saying ma'am?
                  sigpic

Comment

would always be ma'am, prince charles might call her mum though

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                      What do you guys/gals call the queen?

Mom or Mum? I was watching Doctor Who S2 Ep2 and it sounded like Rose and the Doc kept calling her Mom, but I thought y'all said Mum instead of Mom. Maybe there were saying ma'am?
                      LOL. So much. It's Ma'am.

Comment

it's ma'am, that kinda sounds like mum because while we yanks would go 'maaaam' iwth a long A, the brits tend to go 'mum' cause they use a short a
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I thought it was strange for them to call her Mom/Mum, but I know some of the british intelligence (at least in movies) use those kind of names (or so I thought) and so I wasn't sure.

it's ma'am, that kinda sounds like mum because while we yanks would go 'maaaam' iwth a long A, the brits tend to go 'mum' cause they use a short a
                          I grew up and live in the South where ma'am is common and yes, we tend to draw that A out quite a bit differently!
                          Last edited by Spimman; 09 September 2010, 09:42 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

yanks tend to go 'ma'am' and pronounce all 4 letters, brits go mam and smash the three together into one
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Nopey.

Her Majesty is ma'am pronounced maaRm. Where as a female officer in the military is (supposed to be) ma'am, pronounced mam.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                                Interesting indeed. By watching British TV, I would say US TV audiences have much higher offense levels when it comes to language, I didn't even know until recently Bloody or Bo***cks were curse words at all. TW would be rated R in the US without a doubt, for language and no other reason at all.

I would say in US the F*** word is hands down the most offensive (almost automatic R rating) and then the A**, S*** and B**** are considered offensive as well. Dam* and Hel* are considered cuss words, but I would say are the least offensive. There are other offensive words of a sexual nature but I'm not sure if they're considered "Cuss" words or not.

I find it quite interesting that we all "basically" speak the same language but at the same time there are so many differences, I guess we're kind of the mutts (term for mixed bread dog, you guys use that?) of the English speaking world

**Side Note** Is Ianto pronounced Yanto?
                                I think the English language is just a Mutt, very absorbent, very changeble an very adaptive. Us English are very much the same.

An same as Flying Bennett, I am walking clinche who drinks tea pretty much all the time, it the only hot drink I drink regularly, cannot stand coffee. An I am of cause always planning on taking over the world an doing evil things, with a posh accent of cause.
                                Last edited by knowles2; 11 August 2010, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X