Plots of Convenience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plots of Convenience?

Who else finds this whole LA plot a little too convenient? i mean first we have the communication stones, and now the LA just happen to find another Icarus type planet and dial to the destiny, it's like TPTB have run out of original ideas and just thought oh well let's just chuck something together with the LA, who for mine have always been a minor threat anyway.

Personally i would have liked to have seen some kind of encounter with the blue aliens or just about anything else.

thoughts??

Originally posted by Buck32 View Post
    Who else finds this whole LA plot a little too convenient? i mean first we have the communication stones, and now the LA just happen to find another Icarus type planet and dial to the destiny, it's like TPTB have run out of original ideas and just thought oh well let's just chuck something together with the LA, who for mine have always been a minor threat anyway.

Personally i would have liked to have seen some kind of encounter with the blue aliens or just about anything else.

thoughts??
    Yeah, because another run-in with some alien race is so less original than a conglomerate of smugglers and con artists rising to power and challenging the galactic superpower.

Anyway, I love the new take on the Lucian Alliance. They actually have brains, unlike most other bad guys in Stargate. And how is their finding another Icarus-type planet "convenient"? They found the first one, after all, and they have scouts and spies combing the galaxy.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Technically, everything boils down to being a plot of convenience. It would be just as convenient for the blue aliens to show up too.
      I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Well all plots are convenient aren't they, since they are conceived by a writer.

Its possible that the LA have been searching for an Icarus type planet for years. It doesn't appear as though they found it over a weekend.
        sigpic

Comment

Yeah let's not invent some new enemy let's just crank out an old tired one from the SG1 days. and it's probably more likely for the blue aliens to show up given relatively speaking they're closer to the destiny than the LA.

Comment

It's not convenience... it's Destiny!
            sigpic
            Doci of the BAG

Comment

Yeah let's not invent some new enemy let's just crank out an old tired one from the SG1 days. and it's probably more likely for the blue aliens to show up given relatively speaking they're closer to the destiny than the LA.
              How can a barely developed, hardly used side enemy from a one season of SG-1 be tired? If anything, we're seeing a much more competent LA in this series.
              I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

With the stargate network up and running, you could actually argue that the Lucian Alliance is closer. They're only a gate away, while the blue aliens are, as far as we know, still searching the intergalactic void for the ship.

Originally posted by GateroomGuard View Post
                It's not convenience... it's Destiny!
                That was genius
                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post

That was genius
                  I am a Grand Cleric in the Order of Riley.
                  sigpic
                  Doci of the BAG

Comment

Just so we're all clear, the LA has been with the series since "Air". This is very much the payoff to the initial Icarus attack.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                      Yeah, because another run-in with some alien race is so less original than a conglomerate of smugglers and con artists rising to power and challenging the galactic superpower.

Anyway, I love the new take on the Lucian Alliance. They actually have brains, unlike most other bad guys in Stargate. And how is their finding another Icarus-type planet "convenient"? They found the first one, after all, and they have scouts and spies combing the galaxy.
                      Intelligent criminals make wonderful bad guys

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                      Technically, everything boils down to being a plot of convenience. It would be just as convenient for the blue aliens to show up too.
                      *nods* yep, it wouldn't matter what got put in there, it's all pretty convenient

they may very well have been old and tired in the previous series. They're neither old nor tired in SGU however.

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                      Just so we're all clear, the LA has been with the series since "Air". This is very much the payoff to the initial Icarus attack.
                      Exactly, this is a plot thread that's been in the works for this entire season. It would be weird if it DIDN'T finish up, wouldn't it?
                      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I wasn't a fan of involving the Lucian Alliance at first either. But Incursion Part 1 did crank things up a notch and I thought it was decently done. The new take on LA is a lot better than what it was in SG-1 that's for sure.
                        sigpic

Comment

The LA are just another hackneyed bad guy group. Kiva just up and kills that scientist, for no particular reason, and a line of new scientists forms on the left to go to work for her. That makes no sense now does it? Obviously, the first thing you think when you hear about that is, "I wonder if she will kill me". If I was a scientist working for Kiva, I would be thinking of ways to go into hiding. Also equally obvious at that point, Rush knew he was never getting out of there alive.

The plain and simple fact is, with leaders like Kiva, there would be no more Lucien Alliance. If you are some lackey, and you see Kiva killing off other lackeys every week, how long do you stick around? Does word not get around? How does she find new lackeys after the first ten thousand die by her own hand? Everyone would have abandoned her by now, and no one new would go to work for her.

And TJ, about to get ganked in the gate room. Obviously, as soon as the first hostage is killed, you know there is no point in talking anymore; everyone is going to die unless you do something, inaction becomes the same as murder at that point. Brutality does not make people loyal, it may make people do what you want for a time. All mindless brutality does is give you a choice of dying on your knees, or dying on your feet. At least if you have a choice of living on your knees, there might be something to think about.

Initially I thought this series was promising, but less and less is making sense. The writing is just terrible. This is worse than what Lucas and Spielberg did to Indy. The more they develop characters, the less those characters make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by kwlafayette View Post
                            The LA are just another hackneyed bad guy group. Kiva just up and kills that scientist, for no particular reason, and a line of new scientists forms on the left to go to work for her. That makes no sense now does it? Obviously, the first thing you think when you hear about that is, "I wonder if she will kill me". If I was a scientist working for Kiva, I would be thinking of ways to go into hiding. Also equally obvious at that point, Rush knew he was never getting out of there alive.

The plain and simple fact is, with leaders like Kiva, there would be no more Lucien Alliance. If you are some lackey, and you see Kiva killing off other lackeys every week, how long do you stick around? Does word not get around? How does she find new lackeys after the first ten thousand die by her own hand? Everyone would have abandoned her by now, and no one new would go to work for her.

And TJ, about to get ganked in the gate room. Obviously, as soon as the first hostage is killed, you know there is no point in talking anymore; everyone is going to die unless you do something, inaction becomes the same as murder at that point. Brutality does not make people loyal, it may make people do what you want for a time. All mindless brutality does is give you a choice of dying on your knees, or dying on your feet. At least if you have a choice of living on your knees, there might be something to think about.

Initially I thought this series was promising, but less and less is making sense. The writing is just terrible. This is worse than what Lucas and Spielberg did to Indy. The more they develop characters, the less those characters make sense.
                            And yet there are many criminal organizations with leaders no different from Kiva on Earth that are very powerful and successful in what they do. Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean it's not realistic.

Comment

You are wrong about that, criminal organizations do not take killing their own lightly. At least not the ones that last. If O'Niel started executing team leaders at random, say for incorrect use of whom vs. who, how long before he runs out of team leaders? How long before people start going AWOL? The rules are basically the same as in polite society, it is just the penalties are more severe.

Comment

Working...
                              X